Aqualogic Titanium Temperature Well Disappointment

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been working on my 150 build in my basement for a little while. I decided for heating and fan management to go with a Ranco 2-Stage with a titanium sensor well inserted into the plumbing. I'm trying to better manage cords & plumbing on this build and despite the added cost, I thought this would be the cleanest option. I emailed Aqualogic because they offer titanium thermowells using a form on their website with the specifications I was looking for.

This is what they advertise on their website:
Titanium Sensor Well.jpg Titanium Sensor Well Schematic.jpg

They replied and quoted me $65, a little pricey, but I hadn't been able to find a better option. So I told them I would take one and filled out the order form. Under shipping I just wrote "cheapest." It wasn't really clear as part of the quote whether shipping was included or not, but I figured it couldn't be much on such a small part. A day or two later I see my credit card billed for $98.29... $33 more than my quote. Then today the item shows up....

I'm a little annoyed. First, the difference in price quoted is absolutely ridiculous. There's no way this cost that much to ship. It came in a 6x6x6 box with a shipping weight of 1lb by UPS and an actual weight of 6-7 ounces. I could have shipped this via USPS for like $6, if that.

Second, the product I received is a titanium rod/cylinder that is open on one end stuck through a couple dollar plastic cable gland. Nothing like the custom machined titanium part shown on their website.

I think that the item I received would work fine for my application, but how the heck does this cost $98 shipped? What would you do in this situation? I'm quite annoyed with them for both the false advertising and the excessive shipping charges. I thought Aqualogic was a reputable brand, but this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 22.46.25.jpeg Product Received.jpg

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Posting an update:

I emailed AquaLogic and they apologized for the confusion and issued a refund for the amount. Apparently the part they sent me is what "most people use." The other part (shown on their website) is $175 + shipping. (Which seems kind of $$$ to me even thought it is 100% titanium.)

Kudos to them for refunding the money on the item. Hopefully they'll update the picture on their website in the future. I probably wouldn't have been so upset if they just posted a picture of what I was actually going to be receiving and been a little more transparent on their shipping charges.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back