Hello from Malaysia

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm Derek from Malaysia. Was into freshwater a long time ago, but always had a desire to venture into marine. Well, I've finally done it with a small 16 gallon tank.
Inhabitants are only 3 clowns, a turbo snail and a sand starfish currently. I set up the tank roughly a week ago, but the filter and substrate had been cycling in another tank with a rotting shrimp for about a month prior. Set up the new tank with the old substrate at the bottom, and added a layer of aragalive sand on top.

Running the whole thing with a Fluval 207 canister with Matrix in it, with a Magus QQ1 hang on skimmer, Hailea 130 chiller, and a Fluval Bluetooth Nano reef led on top for lighting. Using a Jebao slw10 wavemaker for circulation.

My other tank is a freshwater 50 gallon housing a red eared slider outside the house.
Dereck dude what’s up way over there, from what I read sounds like you have a clue of what ur doing. I could be wrong because I’m basically brand spanking new to all this. But I know one real good thing. The people here on this website love to help and answer questions any time day or night. I know firsthand. Welcome aboard r2r you’ll be glad you joined. I’m happy to know ur around

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4538112F-E331-410A-BCC9-ACCD7289749D.gif

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to meet you. I really love the baby pics above the tank. Congrats. Tank looks great. Never too early to start reefing to the next generation

1578870401558.gif

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! While it is true that, relatively speaking, there are beautiful reefs nearby, and it is entirely possible to arrange a weekend scuba diving trip, for all practical purposes, the reefs are on the other coast from me. And Malaysia has some strict conservation laws that prohibit me from taking even a sliver of dead coral from the beach. So yeah, it's not like I can just pop into the backyard, pick out a nice coral and plonk it into my tank. ;)
Still need to pay top dollar for imported corals from indonesia or phillipines...

And yeah... the chiller... Without AC, the temps here could hit 30 C inside... Thats 86 F. Outside, its not uncommon to hit 40's. Thats over 104 F.

For a while, I toyed around with a 70W TEC chiller. That reduced my 6 gallon tank by about 2 degrees. That only brought it down to 28. I even ran two in series, which only got me 27. In light of "upgrading" to a 16 gallon tank, I knew it would be futile, so I sprung for a full sized pumped chiller.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • No

Votes: 118 76.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.6%
Back