Soft Coral Identification from Raja Ampat, Indonesia

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been obsessed with videos of Raja Ampat and have stocked my reef with mostly fish and coral native to the region and plan to eventually make it a full biotope. This coral really caught my eye. It appears to be some kind of gold/yellow leather coral but I can't tell what and Inturalist which I normally use to ID an animal hasn't been much help. If anyone knows what it is, would be a huge help.

Screenshot (212).png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been obsessed with videos of Raja Ampat and have stocked my reef with mostly fish and coral native to the region and plan to eventually make it a full biotope. This coral really caught my eye. It appears to be some kind of gold/yellow leather coral but I can't tell what and Inturalist which I normally use to ID an animal hasn't been much help. If anyone knows what it is, would be a huge help.

Screenshot (212).png
It looks like a yellow/brown Sinularia.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Litophyton or Sclerophtyum maybe?

It looks like a yellow/brown Sinularia.
Sinularia are cabbage leathers. The genus you're thinking of is Sclerophytum.

They are not photosynthetic tho...
And i think they are extremely difficult to find, as people prefer the pink one for the NPS tree corals.
No, they're zooxanthellate. Azoox soft corals will usually be orange, red, or pink. I also wouldn't trust an aquarium-based site for identification, as they usually misidentify things or use outdated nomenclature.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, they're zooxanthellate. Azoox soft corals will usually be orange, red, or pink. I also wouldn't trust an aquarium-based site for identification, as they usually misidentify things or use outdated nomenclature.
I searched some images of Litophyton and it looks very similar to the screenshot I put out in this thread. The common name is broccoli coral. I don't see many places selling them online. Looks like the Sclerophytum is a bit stumpier so I don't believe it's that.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sinularia dura (and perhaps a few other species) are cabbage leathers. I haven't seen them all, but I'm fairly certain that the majority of the members of the Sinularia genus are digitate.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sinularia dura (and perhaps a few other species) are cabbage leathers. I haven't seen them all, but I'm fairly certain that the majority of the members of the Sinularia genus are digitate.
Yes, not all sinularia are cabbage leathers. Spaghetti Leather coral are also a sinularia (Sinularia flexibilis). My first thought for the image was a species of Sinularia, but it's so hard to tell.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I was digging around could it be some gold variety of Nephthea? Not sure if nephthea is found in Raja Ampat but it also looks very similar.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nephthea is a synonym of Litophyton, which is why I suggested that genus.
Wow I also did not know that. It's definitely that then. I checked and they are native to Raja Ampat, Indonesia. Now to see if a golden variety is being sold anywhere. Thanks for the help great knowledge on coral.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back