00W's AIO Smorgasbord

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and the boys went and saw Deadpool and Wolverine today, Im sure all of you Marvel fans saw it a while back but I had to wait until my oldest got back from France.
318E00F7-6A71-4F5E-8211-EA5C43E41DC4.jpeg
Awesome Kevin! Good stuff man. I watched Iron Man with my 7 year old for the first time the other day. We had a blast. He loves Black sabbath so he had an instant connection to iron man.

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i havent been in touch much lately. You guys remember the devil of a yellow damsel i had. I have been avoiding buying corals bc i was pretty sure he was attacking my new coral frags. Well i finally decided to try it again and made a purchase. I added them to the tank and left the room for 2 minutes. When i got back, sure enough this damsel had toppled my new rainbow pectinia frag and was beating it against the glass.

Now I've tried everything to get this fish out of my tank. He evaded every trap and trick. So I decided to rip the whole tank down. The rock work and all of my corals had to come out. I can never fully enjoy a tank with this fish in it. All of my torches and hammers are on the sandbed bc if I raised them up to the rock work where I wanted them, the fish would attack them. I finally caught him and tried to put my tank back together. Right now everything is looking good. There's so much work that goes into this that it's hard to see it destroyed like that. Anyway I have it back up and I don't have any really good pictures but here are a few. I hope I put it all back together ok and you guys like it.

20240907_191942.jpg
20240907_184427.jpg
20240907_184419.jpg
20240905_162437.jpg
20240904_174130.jpg
looks great! im in the middle of trying to do the same thing! trying to catch a stupid kleini butterfly! :confounded-face:

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! im in the middle of trying to do the same thing! trying to catch a stupid kleini butterfly! :confounded-face:
Thank you! I completely feel your pain and I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I tried everything under the sun to avoid taking everything out. In the end I was just delaying the inevitable. I got lucky bc it's only 40 gallons. I used a fish trap and he went in it 5 or 6 times but was just too fast to catch.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Just wondering has anyone ever done the math to find out about how much it cost in electricity to run a saltwater aquarium? Our electric bill has been outrageous lately and I'm trying to figure out why.
Our power bill went up and average $18 a month since I started my tank. My wife has a 20 gallon fowlr. I only have a 40 gallon cube with one light. I'll admit I'm still at minimum on my equipment and definitely want to add/upgrade which will raise that I'm sure.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I haven’t paid attention. I am curious about the orphek light though since it’s so powerful if it’ll boost my bill. We also have this fancy new thing with Blue Ridge where we can’t run the air/ heat/ stove/ washer/ dryer/ dishwasher/ hot water heater from 3-6 pm or we will be charged extra. So that’s fun. I bet there going to love me.
The Simpsons Reaction GIF

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well... Figure out how many kilowatts your tank takes to run (140 watts = 0.14 kW) and multiply by the number of hours it runs for (0.14 kW light for 12 hours = 1.68 kWh) and then multiply by the cost per kWh from power company (1.68 kWh x 0.12 cents per kWh = $0.002 per light per day not including the extra cost during peak hours).

These number are not exact and it depends on running your lights and dc pumps at 100% otherwise it's slightly less kWh.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i havent been in touch much lately. You guys remember the devil of a yellow damsel i had. I have been avoiding buying corals bc i was pretty sure he was attacking my new coral frags. Well i finally decided to try it again and made a purchase. I added them to the tank and left the room for 2 minutes. When i got back, sure enough this damsel had toppled my new rainbow pectinia frag and was beating it against the glass.

Now I've tried everything to get this fish out of my tank. He evaded every trap and trick. So I decided to rip the whole tank down. The rock work and all of my corals had to come out. I can never fully enjoy a tank with this fish in it. All of my torches and hammers are on the sandbed bc if I raised them up to the rock work where I wanted them, the fish would attack them. I finally caught him and tried to put my tank back together. Right now everything is looking good. There's so much work that goes into this that it's hard to see it destroyed like that. Anyway I have it back up and I don't have any really good pictures but here are a few. I hope I put it all back together ok and you guys like it.

20240907_191942.jpg
20240907_184427.jpg
20240907_184419.jpg
20240905_162437.jpg
20240904_174130.jpg
Very nice John!
Glad you got rid of the devil fish.
We've all had one....
Next time just add a trigger and, whoopsie, nor more damsel ;)
Tank looks great!

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Just wondering has anyone ever done the math to find out about how much it cost in electricity to run a saltwater aquarium? Our electric bill has been outrageous lately and I'm trying to figure out why.
I'm guessing my 4 tanks run me about $50/month.
But we're in Idaho, it's a bit cheaper.
Once I got rid of all my 80w return pumps, 72 skimmers and T5's over my freshwater tanks I did notice a difference.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i dont know this song. why is it illegal in cuba, luis?
Not that specific song, I'm referring to U.S. music, not so much today, but 20 or 30 years ago, yes. Remember that in Cuba there has been a dictatorship for more than 60 years and they always have the U.S. as the bad guy everywhere.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice John!
Glad you got rid of the devil fish.
We've all had one....
Next time just add a trigger and, whoopsie, nor more damsel ;)
Tank looks great!
Thanks I appreciate that Joel. Ive never seen one with that much anger lol.
My very first saltwater tank was an 80 gallon fowlr trigger tank was when I was 14. Lol I put the craziest combo of triggers in there and for some reason, they all got along great. The clown trigger was the boss of the tank. I fed them shrimp and minnows I caught out of the gulf in my cast net. I had that tank forever and it's still one of my all-time favorites. That's why I love every time you post yours!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Kevin! Good stuff man. I watched Iron Man with my 7 year old for the first time the other day. We had a blast. He loves Black sabbath so he had an instant connection to iron man.
My oldest son turned me on to Marvel about 15 years ago, I would take him to the theater and I got hooked. Deadpool is my favorite, but your son is going to be much much older before you watch it together. Gaurdians of the Galaxy is probably my second favorite.

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to do that anymore! Ours has also been outrageaos lately and is up about $30 a month since firing up the tanks. Here is a calculator on BRS site that is handy. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/aquarium-electricity-cost-calculator

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 6.7%
Back