aF4 Auto Frozen Feeder - Up an running!

niccumec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up my new @ind.aquatics aF4 Feeder 3 days ago. So far so good feeding frozen brine shrimp! Temp in container on 2nd to coldest setting was 33 deg F after 24 hours.

I am feeding via sump main return pump intake. I simply drilled a 3/8” hole in the 2” Bulkhead screen and inserted the feed tube.

Next step is to connect to GHL controller.

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5065.jpeg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I’d be interested to know how this feeding system affects the nutritional value of the food. Keeping biologics in a “slush” state is essentially the worst-case scenario for cellular systems because you freeze water into tiny sharp little ice crystals, but the rest of the biological material stays in a liquid/plasma state. So things like cell membranes are destroyed by the little ice crystals and proteins tend to denature or aggregate. This is why deep freezers and flash freezing are used for meats we humans eat as they preserve the biological material better.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the scientific answer here, but with high salinity water added, mine does not go into any “slush” state. @ 33 deg F (setting 2), it looks just like when I thaw it and add it manually. This just seems to keep it at that temp in between feedings so that it stays fresh.

If you dilute with RODI, then you may be closer to a slush state.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling now via GHL ProfiLux 4. I now feed 2x per day, currently on the lowest 5mL feed volume setting. I dilute 10mL / cube for a less concentrated mixture and I estimate that I am getting about 1/2 cube per feeding at this setting, which seems about right for my small guys. Plenty of upward adjustability in either more feedings per day, denser mix, or upping the dosing beyond 5mL.

So far I am thrilled with the design. Hopefully it will last and the cooling will keep working

ind.aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the scientific answer here, but with high salinity water added, mine does not go into any “slush” state. @ 33 deg F (setting 2), it looks just like when I thaw it and add it manually. This just seems to keep it at that temp in between feedings so that it stays fresh.

If you dilute with RODI, then you may be closer to a slush state.
Exactly correct - it’s the same principal used on a lot of fishing boats that are out at sea for over a month. Refrigerated Sea Water (RSW) is the industry term. The coldest setting should be around 30-32F. And the setting you’re using(position 2) should fluctuate between 32F and 34F on the high side so average of 33F sounds right. We’re glad you like it! If anything comes up at all, we’re here to help

ind.aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling now via GHL ProfiLux 4. I now feed 2x per day, currently on the lowest 5mL feed volume setting. I dilute 10mL / cube for a less concentrated mixture and I estimate that I am getting about 1/2 cube per feeding at this setting, which seems about right for my small guys. Plenty of upward adjustability in either more feedings per day, denser mix, or upping the dosing beyond 5mL.

So far I am thrilled with the design. Hopefully it will last and the cooling will keep working
We’ve been in communication with GHL and they have discussed adding programming specifically for our feeder! It would keep track of how much food is left via the app as well!

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back