Aging out

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this very thing lately. I'm in my mid fifty's and am slowing down. I remember pulling my truck in on Friday night after work and by Sunday afternoon I was driving around with a New engine installed. Last time I tried this a few years back it took my a month. Of course when I was in my 20s I needed it for work LOL! I have a 16 year old German Short hair and this weekend I was reminded of her as a puppy and my kids were in middle school. Now she spends most of the time on the couch. Many days out in the field bird hunting. My kids are all in their carriers and have their own families. My son took his boy to the monster truck show this weekend and his wife told me he teared up remembering me taking him. When my daughter had an issue with my grandson, she told me the whole time she was thinking wow he was me just yesterday it seems and you were giving me the lecture. I love life and have to say each stage only gets better. I feel for you @Lavey29

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, my coral banded shrimp just aged out last night. My first pic of him is January 2017. My urchin is getting a good meal. It's not a molt.

20240702_051903.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I visited her childhood home a few days ago. This was the home she got her first cat, who lived to be about 17 years old and eventually died this year. It was neat to see the house where she was raised in, to where she would end up passing away.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The circle of life is beautiful but so sad in the end unfortunately. A few of my fish have aged out recently. I could see it coming on very similar to elderly senior citizens to. They just start to slow down more, needing more naps and rest, starting eating less as their body slowly shuts down. They were so energetic before. I had the hardest time some years back when I lost my 16 year old datschund. Like losing a family member. Now I'm sitting here watching my midas blenny complete his circle of life. He used to be the most active fish in the tank to. Just a bummer day coming on.
Yeah it's hard. I'm having my first one that isn't a wrasse or other short lived fish age out a 8-9ish year old yellow watchman goby been with me as a full grown adult since the beginning. Watching them slow down is brutal. At the same time it's satisfying knowing you gave them so many more years than they'd have in the wild and a great quality of life. In my opinion having fish reach their terminal age if they're relatively long lived is the pinnacle of the hobby and a sign of an amazing reefkeeper, so good on you for taking such great care of your pets.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's hard. I'm having my first one that isn't a wrasse or other short lived fish age out a 8-9ish year old yellow watchman goby been with me as a full grown adult since the beginning. Watching them slow down is brutal. At the same time it's satisfying knowing you gave them so many more years than they'd have in the wild and a great quality of life. In my opinion having fish reach their terminal age if they're relatively long lived is the pinnacle of the hobby and a sign of an amazing reefkeeper, so good on you for taking such great care of your pets.
That's a very good way of viewing it.

NemLoverSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matt. 25:37–40.) I think this means all creatures ....

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya my friend. I'm 60 and feeling it. I'm nowhere near the man I was even 10 years ago. Part of the reason I'm starting a new tank. I wanna get it humming on its own while I still have energy left. As I have no religious belief, I cannot take comfort in that. It's kinda rough, actually. But it's the way my brain is built. And my cat is 16. I rue the day he passes.
You sound a bit like myself. My tank thread is my planned last tank and I also have no religious beliefs.
I've mourned all of my dogs because they are better friends than humans IME. Animals give and they ask for nothing in return.

Back