AliExpress A8SE Reef Light

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to find the reefbuilders video. Theirs was on the xr15 g5 style but .y assumption is the same company-companies are making the xr15 and xr30 style lights.

They use the same app.
Many black box fixtures from China use the same app. The app has been around awhile in different variations so I wouldn't use that as they're the same companies.

tgn225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t take any extra pics besides what was posted here as adding paste wasn’t a big deal. Ecotechs has paste so I assume there’s a good reason and I’m in IT so I have tons of it. I only took them apart to reroute the powers cords to work in my T5 hybrid fixture and noticed it was missing. Is it needed? No idea but if I was overheating at 100% it’s a 10minute and $5 fix to try. If he have paste great, maybe myself and @tgn225 just got unlucky. I’m not bashing these lights as I like them for the price but they do have some short comings, my thermal paste comment was a troubling shooting step and nothing more.

Can you link the reef builders article?

@telegraham Did you happen to separate the leds from the heat sync and if so do you recall it having thermal paste?
Just an update, I haven't had any issues with overheating since applying the thermal paste. That being said, I didn't have any issues with it before either. The lights are still going strong with very little glitches/errors.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I haven't had any issues with overheating since applying the thermal paste. That being said, I didn't have any issues with it before either. The lights are still going strong with very little glitches/errors.
Same, I just did it since I was in there. I also don't run them 100% like the other poster having issues. Very happy for the money with these so far :)

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changed the battery, still losing time after power out...:loudly-crying-face:
Sorry :frowning-face: Thanks for getting back to me though, makes me wonder what the battery is used for than.

@Orito does the light physically loose the time and you notice? I ask because my app never shows the correct time until I do the update time but the light itself keeps the correct time.

Last edited:

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry :frowning-face: Thanks for getting back to me though, makes me wonder what the battery is used for than.

@Orito does the light physically loose the time and you notice? I ask because my app never shows the correct time until I do the update time but the light itself keeps the correct time.
yes, it sets to 00:00, so I have to enter the app and update

mercurialchen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK, a manufacturer in China is also releasing an IDENTICAL lamp to this A8se, which is called Kassray S240. This new one has both bluetooth and wifi control so it might solve any connection issues the A8se has (not entirely sure about that). This very same company also makes a ATI straton clone: Kassray T215. Since they are super new, theres not a lot of information, but my eyes are on the S240 right now...

LordMarvolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently planning a 5ft tank build (27 inches deep, 25 inches tall) and am debating two different lighting routes and would appreciate some thoughts… I’m in contact with a supplier and have a quote for 5x of the X30 Blues, which will ship with CREE LED’s and Meanwell PSU’s - for the same money, I’ve got an offer for 4x Genuine USED Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro’s (G6).

I plan to run a bit of a mixed reef, leaning more towards the heavier SPS side and feel the coverage and power of the XR15’s just won’t cut it, but am I silly for considering spending the same money on 5x black box XR30’s vs 4x Genuine used XR15’s?

Open to thoughts and criticism!

Last edited:

mercurialchen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently planning a 5ft tank build (27 inches deep, 25 inches tall) and am debating two different lighting routes and would appreciate some thoughts… I’m in contact with a supplier and have a quote for 5x of the X30 Blues, which will ship with CREE LED’s and Meanwell PSU’s - for the same money, I’ve got an offer for 4x Genuine USED Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro’s (G6).

I plan to run a bit of a mixed reef, leaning more towards the heavier SPS side and feel the coverage and power of the XR15’s just won’t cut it, but am I silly for considering spending the same money on 5x black box XR30’s vs 4x Genuine used XR15’s?

Open to thoughts and criticism!
For a 5ft SPS tank I think you might be able to get away with 4 X30 blackboxes. I have seen them in real life and the spectrum looks pretty similar to radion imo (I cant say anything about the app, but the general consensus on Douyin is the app is quite buggy). If you choose XR15 it definitely will require more than 4, especially for sps. You can ask for the Seatorch LM30, which is only a touch bit more expensive than A8/X30 but arguably has a better app.

LordMarvolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 5ft SPS tank I think you might be able to get away with 4 X30 blackboxes. I have seen them in real life and the spectrum looks pretty similar to radion imo (I cant say anything about the app, but the general consensus on Douyin is the app is quite buggy). If you choose XR15 it definitely will require more than 4, especially for sps. You can ask for the Seatorch LM30, which is only a touch bit more expensive than A8/X30 but arguably has a better app.
Appreciate the feedback. I could definitely get away with 4x X30 Blues, but I'm tempted to go for 5x units run at lower intensity for overall better coverage. Whilst I've been offered a good deal for these 4x XR15 Pro's, I don't think I can avoid the fact that I'll still need to add supplemental lighting, vs just going for the X30 Blue's and calling it a day.

Re-sale value of the X30 Blues isn't really worth considering, I'm moreso just concerned about the longevity/performance of the units, albeit the feedback in this thread so far seems to suggest that the performance of the units are spot on, it's just the app that lets things down, albeit if you can set and forget and manage to mitigate the time creep issues people seem to be having, I don't see myself needing to use the app going forwards.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back