Are algae, dinos and cyan inevitable?

zerozero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're three months into our saltwater journey with our Fluval Evo 13'5g/52l. I think things are going well. We got infront of NO3 and PO4 bottoming out by doubling feeding. We've had dinos since week 2 (mid July). I realised that I'd neglected our CUC we had 2x Nassarius snails and 2x Hermits. Subsequently we've found a Stomatella snail (about an inch) and a tiny starfish. One hermit killed the other, as they do. We recently (last weekend) added a red fire shrimp. We have 2x Nassarius snails, 2x Hermits and a conch on order. They finally arrive around next Thursday.

2/10/24 results:
NO3 5.0 -> 6.5
PO4 0.05 -> 0.07
ALK 8.3 -> 8.6

So, as it says in the title are GHA, dinos and cyano an inevitable part of a new tank?
Can I avoid them?
And if so, what should I do?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common, yes. Inevitable, no. I have set up tanks where I never saw any algae or bacterial issues from start to finish. I have also set up tanks where had nothing but problems lol. I would say try to have as much bacterial biodiviserity from the beginning along with a healthy CUC (inverts, fish, etc.)....in addition to keeping water chemistry stable wthing the proper ranges, of course. That seemed to be the difference from my successes to failures. And before everybody chimes in with the dry vs live rock debate, my most successful tank was set up with nothing by dry rock.....but that tank had the two things that I mentioned, from the very beginning.

OP
OP
zerozero

zerozero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common, yes. Inevitable, no. I have set up tanks where I never saw any algae or bacterial issues from start to finish. I have also set up tanks where had nothing but problems lol. I would say try to have as much bacterial biodiviserity from the beginning along with a healthy CUC (inverts, fish, etc.)....in addition to keeping water chemistry stable wthing the proper ranges, of course. That seemed to be the difference from my successes to failures. And before everybody chimes in with the dry vs live rock debate, my most successful tank was set up with nothing by dry rock.....but that tank had the two things that I mentioned, from the very beginning.
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

I also forgot to add (Liverpool game is on) that I've been adding Phytoplankton for a few weeks. I introduced copepods last week after lights were off. I'm all for biodiversity, but can't tell if there's been any impact. I'm a newbie so, as I understand it, there's no fish we can add to help us (we have two clowns in 13.5g).

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have algae in your tank? Yes. Will it be a big problem and an outbreak? It depends on how you manage the tank.
Although it may exist somewhere, Ive never heard of a tank devoid of algae. Algae isnt an issue if you manage it anyway.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't get dinos in week 2 of a new tank perhaps diatoms which is normal and goes away on its own but not dinos 2 weeks in

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 51 44.0%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back