Are Coral Reefs Doomed…

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started watching but it kicks off with recent water highs in Key Largo of 101 degrees. Living near there I’m exposed to these changes and recall my own area seeing record highs.

Perhaps coral farms the only solution to the future and best all waters find a way to get samples of all corals into these indoor climate controlled farms. Mass scale Noah’s Ark thinking.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral reefs will be here long after we’re gone,some species will die some will adapt to change better has as always happened
I think they'll be here long after we're gone, but mass extinction events usually take thousands-to-millions of years to repopulate, and oftentimes what you end up with is completely different and may not even resemble what we consider a reef IMO

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also of the belief reefs will ultimately survive considering 2-5% still exist but as mentioned this can take thousands if not millions of years to evolve.

My point being that in our lifetime they are possibly gone to the extent of further removal by the hobby or dive trips which will affect businesses and communities not having thousands of years to adapt.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also of the belief reefs will ultimately survive considering 2-5% still exist but as mentioned this can take thousands if not millions of years to evolve.

My point being that in our lifetime they are possibly gone to the extent of further removal by the hobby or dive trips which will affect businesses and communities not having thousands of years to adapt.
I think we will end up with a lot less variety in the hobby, but I think a lot of soft coral and anemones will still be around regardless of these changes. I think the hobby will mainly just evolve around what happens and the speed in which it happens. I also see a future where places like tidal gardens and unique corals start government funded grow-outs to combat and acclimate coral more slowly to the shifting wild habitat.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we will end up with a lot less variety in the hobby, but I think a lot of soft coral and anemones will still be around regardless of these changes. I think the hobby will mainly just evolve around what happens and the speed in which it happens. I also see a future where places like tidal gardens and unique corals start government funded grow-outs to combat and acclimate coral more slowly to the shifting wild habitat.
But then we’re back to the 80s where hard corals were few and far in between. Innovation in this hobby as I recall driven by hard corals. Berlin method, dosing alk and calcium as well as the ever evolving more expensive sump driven by that not easy to keep.

Personally, I’m starting to like photosynthetic sponges and have always been a fan of shrooms but then neither required much of today’s advances.

Besides the hobby. Sucks to see our reefs lose their identity. Moral of this thread

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to click the link to the video but it wont load for some reason.

Anyway, globally speaking, while reefs are definitely in danger, the extent of degradation/decline is highly dependent on location. Reefs in Southeast Asia and other regions (I mention southeast asia because I have firsthand knowledge here) arent anywhere close to the state reefs near the Keys, Caribbean, and some other areas are. They're actually healthy.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyway, globally speaking, while reefs are definitely in danger, the extent of degradation/decline is highly dependent on location. Reefs in Southeast Asia and other regions (I mention southeast asia because I have firsthand knowledge here) arent anywhere close to the state reefs near the Keys, Caribbean, and some other areas are. They're actually healthy.
Yeah indo reefs are interesting as they almost show off why the hobby isn't actually the problem when it comes to reefs. They're the most aggressively overcollected reefs, but since they're buffered a bit from temp changes they're by far the healthiest right now. I think the hobby ends up the target of people rightfully angry about the future of reefs sometimes when in reality it has a near-completely negligible impact on reef health

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But for how long?

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah indo reefs are interesting as they almost show off why the hobby isn't actually the problem when it comes to reefs. They're the most aggressively overcollected reefs, but since they're buffered a bit from temp changes they're by far the healthiest right now. I think the hobby ends up the target of people rightfully angry about the future of reefs sometimes when in reality it has a near-completely negligible impact on reef health
To clarify. I’m not saying collection is the detriment. Just warming temperatures which nothing on earth is protected from it eventually affecting it.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think anyone really knows honestly.
Entire planet is warmer already. All indications that’s it’s still getting warmer. It’s not something without facts and possibly a natural course the planet experiences as it has in the past. Regardless, I’m thinking best assume it’s happening and get all items into farms before they are gone.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know. I mostly was going on what I thought was an interesting tangent
If anything, fragging solve that beyond new variants being discovered where a few colonies ensures that’s locked up and continues growing

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negativity sells. The human brain is wired to attach to negative more than positive. As a result the info we get is skewed at best. If there are reefs at risk from rising temperatures, what reefs are becoming more viable and expanding due to the same? Did you read about the Great Barrier Reef being at record highs in coral recently? Most haven't because it doesn't fit the narative. The alarmist and biased approach to informing is not an accident any more than it's accurate. The best path forward will be built on the truth.

And on a related note: Hobbiests are the solution, not the problem. The Reef Tank hobby is where interest and passion and desire for education are born in so many people. Those working to deal with issues affecting our reefs should be in deep partnership with the aquarist hobby, not using them as scape goats.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negativity sells. The human brain is wired to attach to negative more than positive. As a result the info we get is skewed at best. If there are reefs at risk from rising temperatures, what reefs are becoming more viable and expanding due to the same? Did you read about the Great Barrier Reef being at record highs in coral recently? Most haven't because it doesn't fit the narative. The alarmist and biased approach to informing is not an accident any more than it's accurate. The best path forward will be built on the truth.

And on a related note: Hobbiests are the solution, not the problem. The Reef Tank hobby is where interest and passion and desire for education are born in so many people. Those working to deal with issues affecting our reefs should be in deep partnership with the aquarist hobby, not using them as scape goats.
No one is using aquarist as scapegoats. Where did you read that?

Did you watch the video. Several bleaching events at that Great Barrier Reef which I was hoping one day to visit but mostly for its fishing.

SHOULD WE KEEP PREDATORY FISH IN HOME AQUARIUMS? SHARE YOUR FAVORITE PREDATORY FISH?

• Yes, but only if the owner is adequately prepared and knowledgeable about keeping predatory fish.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • No, predatory fish require more care than what we can give in our homes.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • It depends on which predatory fish is in question.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back