Best Hurricane Backup Solution?

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If no one has mentioned it yet a UPS (uninterrupted power supply, like a big battery) could be a good option
Ups is old tech for computers to save work and shut down. They give a hour or two at best

The lithium power stations are actual battery backups with better batteries, some have ups built in. Which is what’s being recommended and linked to

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does this compare to the other one listed above by Awol ?
It’s equal in runtime rating, performance and features for 180 less. It has an app to connect and monitor/control it, a feature only on the higher end / fancier models. The one I linked is on sale for 300…it’s normally almost 600$

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida. I own a gas generator but I cant use that during the active part of a storm. I was wondering what the best solution would be to run my tank during the first 24 hours of a storm when I cant get outside. I was looking at some of the power bank solutions like the Ecoflow River that's on sale for prime day now. I wont need to run heaters (will be hot in house without AC) but would like to keep my flow and dosing pumps running if possible. My tank is using apex with 2 cor return pumps, a UV sterilizer (ill turn off), 4 maxspect gyres, and 2 MP40s and 4 versa pumps. I have the ecotech backup battery I can use but its about 2 years old now and likely needs replaced soon.

Can someone recommend what power station I should be looking at? How big should I go? Would prefer something polished and user friendly over a car battery or similar
My solution may be a bit extreme, and out of reach for some, but I am having a whole home stand by generator installed. It is they easiest way to put my mind at ease about my entire house, not just my tank. But the tank is what pushed me in this direction. Yes, they are expensive, but with the potentially thousands of dollars we have in our mini reefs, it just makes sense to me.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in south Florida and having gone through two extended power outrages due to hurricanes as well as one northeaster in Jersey this concern top of my list. Goal is to run filtration off one pump at lowest setting, shut heaters and lights off including wave makers. Now go find an electric solution that can run that three to five days as I don't have access a generator.

How much juice if tank flow downgraded to one turn over per hour in darkness? I'd start there then seek twice that juice for expected extended power outage. At least that's my plan. Might also incorporate a chiller into the equation although seen a documentary where bleached corals recovered where cold weather rolled in shortly after heat event and understanding being photosynthesis during hot weather why corals ejects their zooxanthellae plus fact they can require therefore no lights and no water changes might help save those beyond three days which has to be considered since storm might damage that generator. Might as well plan for the worse and be glad it was minor inconvenience.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s equal in runtime rating, performance and features for 180 less. It has an app to connect and monitor/control it, a feature only on the higher end / fancier models. The one I linked is on sale for 300…it’s normally almost 600$

I do not think the Delta 2 series have automatic transfer switches where the one you posted does.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not think the Delta 2 series have automatic transfer switches where the one you posted does.
I’m not super familiar with the deltas.

However I have been in this as a side hobby for 10 years and I know most of the ones out there, don’t have this feature. I have several I use manually and have two currently that have the auto transfer, and that is a nice nice feature to have

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ups is old tech for computers to save work and shut down. They give a hour or two at best

The lithium power stations are actual battery backups with better batteries, some have ups built in. Which is what’s being recommended and linked to

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This post was made yesterday before the prime day deal came out on the one I linked to today, which is almost double the battery for 50$ more

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from experience. Having a generator is easy. Trying to find gas to run it is the real challenge after a storm. I've been through many. The latest was Ian. I'm currently inland and lost power for only 3 days. Managed to get by with a power inverter hooked up to my boats trolling motor batteries running pumps only on an 80 gallon system and a 180 gallon system. I'm building a new house currently on Pine Island which took a direct hit from Ian. I'm not planning on having any tanks going forward. Just too stressful and not worth it to me anymore. If a major storm comes again we're packing up our dogs and hooking up the boat and leaving until we can come back. After that storm the only road to the island was washed away and the only access was by boat for a couple weeks after the storm. With the heat and everything you could only get by for maybe 3-4 days tops with a generator before things went south quickly and that's if you have a steady supply of fuel. I'm not willing to take that risk anymore. I've been in and out of the hobby for 3 decades but this last one did it for me.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from experience. Having a generator is easy. Trying to find gas to run it is the real challenge after a storm. I've been through many. The latest was Ian. I'm currently inland and lost power for only 3 days. Managed to get by with a power inverter hooked up to my boats trolling motor batteries running pumps only on an 80 gallon system and a 180 gallon system. I'm building a new house currently on Pine Island which took a direct hit from Ian. I'm not planning on having any tanks going forward. Just too stressful and not worth it to me anymore. If a major storm comes again we're packing up our dogs and hooking up the boat and leaving until we can come back. After that storm the only road to the island was washed away and the only access was by boat for a couple weeks after the storm. With the heat and everything you could only get by for maybe 3-4 days tops with a generator before things went south quickly and that's if you have a steady supply of fuel. I'm not willing to take that risk anymore. I've been in and out of the hobby for 3 decades but this last one did it for me.
Wow, sounds like you have really been thru it! Sorry to hear. Have you ever considered a whole home stand by generator? I have natural gas already running to my house, so it was kind of a no brainer for me. It is not installed yet, but should be by mid August.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I bought my 520wh backup for $250
The 1000’s are normally 500+

The sale + coupon you can stack on for the one I linked is a steal at $300. Gotta love prime day!
Can the app be used if the power is out?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option is solar power panels and large lithium batteries were I living on an island although I get it. These storms aren't fun and exiting by boat beats locked up in traffic on 75 wondering what will have survived the storm.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can the app be used if the power is out?
Yes. You use wifi once to set it up and from then on its a Bluetooth link from the unit to your phone. And the app is optional. It’s just to set extra features and monitor. You really don’t need it again once you set the device up and pick a few preferences

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
None of mine have an app. Excited to get a high end one that includes this level of customization
7FFE7257-DD0B-4999-9967-1DA126E81EDF.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not super familiar with the deltas.

However I have been in this as a side hobby for 10 years and I know most of the ones out there, don’t have this feature. I have several I use manually and have two currently that have the auto transfer, and that is a nice nice feature to have
Can you remind me which of yours have the auto transfer? (I know we've talked about this before but I can't find the posts!)

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This begs the question... why so many different ones?

Several reasons. I started with one several years ago. A 300wh unit would give my tank (tank at that time) about 6 hours which was enough for most power outages. I decided I wanted one for every tank I have. I couldn’t drop the money on a bunch at once so every year or so I would buy another. As time went on the battery tech continued to improve and the capacity and features increased and cost eventually came down.

With lifespans of 10 years, even the original ones (250-300wh) I bought still work perfectly fine. Just not as long as the 600 and 1000 wh units with ups that I shop for currently

I use the old ones to charge/power phones and tablets and lamps during power outages. As I get better units they go to tanks and the lower capacity ones go towards other purposes

I just put a 600wh with ups on my home phone and fiber Internet modem. When powers out I still have fiber internet coming to the house. The only reason wifi and phones goes down is because the modem/router loses power. Not anymore. I can power my router, modem, home phone, and a lamp with a led bulb for 90 hours now

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you remind me which of yours have the auto transfer? (I know we've talked about this before but I can't find the posts!)
Big blue cell powa 600 (on sale 250 now) - 520 wh. I have two of these and like them a lot.
Big blue cell powa 1000 - 400$ - 1000 wh
This is a great unit and my prior selection for (best performance / runtime for the money)

The servomaster I bought today - 1000wh - 300$ with sale + coupon
This is normally $560 and offers more features than then cellpowa 1000, but same runtime. I would pick the cellpowa 1000 for 400$ Over this one for $560. But with the prime day sale and coupon bringing it down to $300, I bought one immediately. 300$ for a 1000wh unit is a crazy good deal.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida, and just bought a 17kw Generac runs the whole house no problems since it was installed. Power goes out Generac waits 15 seconds and starts up power problem solved.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in Florida, and just bought a 17kw Generac runs the whole house no problems since it was installed. Power goes out Generac waits 15 seconds and starts up power problem solved.
It’s a great (and ideal) solution but not really fair to compare, or suggest. We are talking about solutions in the 300-400$ range and you are suggesting a device that costs $5,000 + installation.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back