Best Hurricane Backup Solution?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update:
My servomaster power station was on the fedex vehicle for delivery today by 8:30 pm. 9 pm came and it’s not here, and the tracking shows it’s now in another town 45 min away from me and FedEx says it will arrive “by July 25”

FedEx is literally the worst (at least the ones by me)
I had a package due as well. I think the global IT outage is the cause right now.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both great points. I had a several hour outage from forest trees needing to be pruned

The eco flow river pro 2 has an impressive 900w charge speed and does not need a power brick. It can charge 768wh to 100% in 70 min

The servomaster it’s a slightly slower but still very high charge speed of 800w and does not need a power brick. It can charge 1000wh in 90 min

My big blue cellpowa 600 has a 300w charge speed and does not need a power brick. It can charge 537 wh to 80% in 1.6 hours and 100% in 2 hours

If power comes back for a short period of time it’s important to charge as fast as you can. And all these models will charge automatically and function as a ups

A 15 amp circuit can handle 1800 watts but you really shouldn’t exceed 80% for prolonged time.

These battery boxes charge to about 75% at full speed then slow (low watt) charge the rest.
I think you're missing the point. Any way you slice, it's still 600-900w power consumption on top of tank and anything else that may be on the circuit( potentially tripping the breaker). May be fine on a 75g nano tank but what about a tank that already pulls 700-1000w+ under normal operation.... 1000w+900w=breaker trip, right?

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're missing the point. Any way you slice, it's still 600-900w power consumption on top of tank and anything else that may be on the circuit( potentially tripping the breaker). May be fine on a 75g nano tank but what about a tank that already pulls 700-1000w+ under normal operation.... 1000w+900w=breaker trip, right?
Nope. Just expanding in a different direction. I’ve been in situations where power return was intermittent and you would have it for a hour or two then it would be our for several more. Quick charging is important thing to consider.

For your point (which is a good one and completely valid) about overloading a circuit by the device charging see my second to last paragraph and I also listed the watt draw for three models discussed as a reference.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The servomaster also has a setting in the app to adjust the charging power. Haven’t tested but seems like I can dial back the input wattage
2E6355DA-2748-401E-B891-2F02890A7895.png

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these hooked up to 2 deep cycle marine batteries. We have regular power outages sometimes for extended periods. I've run my gyres and return pump all night a few times.
20240716_061832.jpg
I have something very similar, was not built for the aquarium but that's what I am going to use it for.
I have 4 Interstate 31m Deep cycle batteries powering an inverter. I don't have anything to auto switch over from ac to the inverter. These batteries can run a lot for a long time. These will give me ample time to get my generator hooked up. The batteries were $130 before inflation ($200 now) I may test how long I can run my complete tank minus the heater when I have the tank up and running. I live in Georgia and hurricanes can knock out power here also. I use NOCO battery charger/maintainer to keep the batteries topped off

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Just expanding in a different direction. I’ve been in situations where power return was intermittent and you would have it for a hour or two then it would be our for several more. Quick charging is important thing to consider.

For your point (which is a good one and completely valid) about overloading a circuit by the device charging see my second to last paragraph and I also listed the watt draw for three models discussed as a reference.
I saw what you wrote!! Just your response to @KStatefan didn't seem to address his concern of charge speed.
One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the ability to set charge speed. I think this is an important option to have. What you do not want to happen it for the power to go out for a couple hours then when the power comes back on you blow a breaker because in addition to all your tank equipment running you are pulling additional power to charge and overload your circuit.

My Ecoriver 2 Pro will pull 940 watts at the max charge speed, which is about half the capacity of a 15 amp circuit.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. But i would prefer it took longer to charge(maybe 10% charging power). It would reduce load on breaker, reduce heat and stress on equipment. Some places are more flicker prone or experience numerous short outages though so it may serve them best..

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The servomaster also has a setting in the app to adjust the charging power. Haven’t tested but seems like I can dial back the input wattage
2E6355DA-2748-401E-B891-2F02890A7895.png
Great, that solves that.:)
Now let me ask you something...
I keep hearing the term Ah tossed around. I forget the actual number for these units, but let's say 100Ah.. that states the strength of the battery(it can provide 100 amps per hour), but what is the spec for its capacity? Ie how many hours can it provide that 100Ah.. for instance, my bank of agm batteries are rated for 105Ah for 20 hours each. So 8 of them wired for 24v.(2 banks in series of 4 batteries wired in parallel) would provide 420Ah for 80 hours (DC).
1000001735.jpg

Last edited:

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just caught my eye. Expandable to 48kw. Something like this would work for me since having an external generator not an option nor is hooking up to a car battery and for those who have that option need to consider the fact that a storm can take those options away.

Although at some point one comes close to just getting a Tesla Power Wall. Going to be a difficult conversation explaining to the wife why she needs to endure 88 degree weather and quickly spoiling food while the fish sleep in comfort :thinking-face:

IMG_4179.png

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just caught my eye. Expandable to 48kw. Something like this would work for me since having an external generator not an option nor is hooking up to a car battery and for those who have that option need to consider the fact that a storm can take those options away.

Although at some point one comes close to just getting a Tesla Power Wall. Going to be a difficult conversation explaining to the wife why she needs to endure 88 degree weather and quickly spoiling food while the fish sleep in comfort :thinking-face:

IMG_4179.png
How much is that bad boy?

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several that are expandable to 12, 24, and 48kwh. These also have transfer switches and function like an actual home generator. The cost is high but you can do it in stages. I have seen the add on battery modules, each one adds on 2000 - 4000 watt hours (2-4kwh). You don’t need roof panels for these. You can recharge off ac. Or you can get backyard panels

Last edited:

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Base setup - 2Kw base station + 2kw expansion pack + 2x200w solar panels + transfer switch
$2900

So for this brand which is a reputable brand, $2900 gets you 4kw

Each 2kw expansion battery is $1000

So for a 10kw system
Base set - 4kw - $2900
6x2kw batteries - $6000
Total - $8900 for 10kw of battery life, the base station/brain, transfer switch for the house, and 2x200w solar panels

and you can scale up in 2k increments whenever you want, up to 24kw for this particular system

I have seen other companies with more expensive base stations but cheaper expansion batteries. I would suggest comparing brands and making bundles of what’s needed

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great, that solves that.:)
Now let me ask you something...
I keep hearing the term Ah tossed around. I forget the actual number for these units, but let's say 100Ah.. that states the strength of the battery(it can provide 100 amps per hour), but what is the spec for its capacity? Ie how many hours can it provide that 100Ah.. for instance, my bank of agm batteries are rated for 105Ah for 20 hours each. So 8 of them wired for 24v.(2 banks in series of 4 batteries wired in parallel) would provide 420Ah for 80 hours (DC).
1000001735.jpg
Lead Acid and agm rate in amp hours and lithium rates in watt hours.

There is a conversion but I’m not sure if it’s completely applicable

These lead acid and agm batteries aren’t supposed to be drained past 50% I believe. You could in an emergency, but it affects the life of the batteries and causes premature failures

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lead acid and agm batteries aren’t supposed to be drained past 50% I believe
You ever leave lights on and kill your car battery? If it was a decent battery it will be fine. If it was on the way out, you likely finished it off. Same thing.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VintageReefer
So which inverter would you recommend for someone who wants about 2000w and to be able to connect to their choice of batteries. Preferably something that has adjustable charge rate and choice of battery technology?

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@VintageReefer
So which inverter would you recommend for someone who wants about 2000w and to be able to connect to their choice of batteries. Preferably something that has adjustable charge rate and choice of battery technology?
Let’s work over dm. These situations become personal and customized and I wouldn’t want to spec you something that’s works for you and then sometime in the future someone else reads this and thinks it will work for them

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's up there with a whole home generator. Good that if a hoa doesn't allow it, there's still an option.
My HOA won’t allow it either therefore this being my only option and good thing being it can be hooked up to the main panel therefore running my fridge as well but generators aren’t cheap. Quote I got in 2005 was $5500 plus. Guessing today that was very cheap.

Best solution being that power wall. At some point quality of life takes over quantifying cost and a mature reef likely exceeds $10k plus the value of that becoming pets which ultimately can’t have a price placed on it. It is what it is

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this whole thread, thanks for all of the good information. Power outages are a good teacher. I do have a 2K Champion Generator. So I am looking for something like this

It appears to be about 250 right now, with the 200 dollar coupon.

Does this look like the good deal right now?
I know the Black Friday sale will be good as well, then maybe buy more of them.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just went through this whole thread, thanks for all of the good information. Power outages are a good teacher. I do have a 2K Champion Generator. So I am looking for something like this

It appears to be about 250 right now, with the 200 dollar coupon.

Does this look like the good deal right now?
I know the Black Friday sale will be good as well, then maybe buy more of them.
Thats the one a few of us bought on prime day for 250

For me it shows up currently as $559 and there is a 200$ coupon making it 359

Not sure if you are getting a better offer because you haven’t bought one yet

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back