Best place to buy cheap coral.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the most experienced reefers have corals that die.
A few of the most widely sold LPS corals have a short life expectancy in most systems.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check the 'for sale' forum on here. Heck, check Craigslist, you might get lucky.

Coral shows can be good. Bring cash, and make an offer on multiple things- dealers, particularly hobbyists, are often happy to give you a discount if you buy multiple things and/or pay cash.

Do keep in mind /why/ a coral is cheap. You don't necessarily want blue clove polyps, for example- they're wildly invasive. Can't even be isolated on their own rock. Ugly, invasive, and heavily toxic "Texas trash" type palythoas are another you might not want to buy, no matter how cheap.

Also, one other thing- check your LFS. Both of mine have a section of $5-$10 coral frags, ones that are either unhealthy (usually trade-ins) or are things like accidental frags of a couple zoa polyps or a tip of SPS. If you have a stable tank to put them into, those bitty and/or unhappy frags have a solid chance of growing out into something nice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Private party and local reef club
I had a fellow at my house 2 hours ago just went home with 4 colonies including mushroom and a piece of my birdsnest all for $100- Again Private party the way to go and the specimens are used to our water opposed to that from the wild and holding facilities.

mrjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I try to support my local reefers as much as I can.. plus i don't have to pay the stupid shipping costs...

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. When I read that, I was thinking TSA is NOT cheap. They’re overpriced.

TSA definitely doesn't fall in the cheap place to buy coral, in my opinion lol. Join the local reef club if you have one in your area.
I ordered several LPS frags, all in the $15-29 range. They were all a good size / healthy / pest free. Maybe it was on the backend of a sale event, but seemed rather reasonable for what I received.

Maybe not “cheap”, but when you factor in the quality I felt it was a solid deal.

Of course the downside to all online vendors is the associated shipping costs. Unless you are ordering multiple frags, you may not be able to do better than local.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • No.

Votes: 61 45.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back