Best reef ready tank deal of 2024 - whose looking for a new tank?

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All feed back has been positive that I know of.

Filter socks are a very tight fit. That’s my complaint. But I wasn’t planning on using them. JoJo found media cups that replace filter socks (this is what I planned to do anyway) and says they snap in easier

Users here have modified the sump for fleece rollers, scrubbers, and JoJo is making a dual middle section - cryptic zone and refugium. Everyone’s preference for sump setup is unique, can’t please everyone out of the box. But it’s easily customized and has plenty of space to accommodate different setups
Got my cut piece of glass today, so I'll be siliconing it next week to make the refugium weir wall. Also got the macros already.
PXL_20240917_213112711.MP.jpg

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate your help! I personally don't like filter socks, so I'd like to do the cups too.
The Red Sea cups snap in perfectly. I'm planning on only running packs of carbon, no particle filtration (that's what the sump critters are for).

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has guides in the shelf section and slides out as much as you want, or can be completely removed (if you disconnect the tubing connector. It has a sliding lid as well

I was going to add one of these so I could remove (if needed) without leaking

CBE81B2D-222A-4858-AEFD-4E6A29EA9455.png
That's a good idea!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my cut piece of glass today, so I'll be siliconing it next week to make the refugium weir wall. Also got the macros already.
PXL_20240917_213112711.MP.jpg
I'm loving the 'fuges and 'cryptic zones' you guys are doing.

I'm currently building a 40B to be a coral QT/grow out tank, and I'm planning on a robust 'fuge area rather than a large skimmer (which I have, if needed). Can't wait to see how you set your 'fuge up.

Thank you for your help!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your setup!

Do you, JoJo, or anyone else have a build thread with this tank setup?
My build thread goes through the evolution of all my office tanks. Most recent entries are about planning the tank transfer to this new tank--all recent entries except for the vagabonds frequenting my thread with non-serious issues.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for spreading the word bro. I think that a divorce might be a little bit more expensive than the tank so getting rid of it (tank) makes sense? I’ve learned that it’s “Cheaper to keep ‘er”. lol

If you guys want a killer deal on a killer system, DM me. TIA
Sure is a killer system and a killer deal. I'm maxed out in space in my office with the 83gal tank in this thread. No space at home till the kids grow up and move out!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it looks great!

And I really appreciate all your help answering my questions!

If this tank was either 36" long, or like 60" and set up for a peninsula, I would have pulled the trigger when this thread was first started. I've been looking for a tank for long enough to know that this is an awesome deal. I'm just trying to wrap my head around that 48" length. I need to figure out a perfect space in our house for a 48" tank, and that's a bit of a challenge.

Thanks again to everyone for your time and help! I am so serious about getting a new tank, I have the wife's approval and a modest stash of cash set aside for this. And maybe I won't get my "dream tank" right now, or ever, but I want a nice, clean, contemporary display tank. No offense to anyone, but I don't just want another "fish tank", I want a really nice aquarium. That's my goal :)

Thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate your help!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's not up and running yet?
No, it's a long process. I've got to get everything set up for an office tank transfer happening in one day. So getting basically all components ready to go, sand extra rocks starts cooking in a 27gal tub next week with Fiji Mud. Hopefully tank lid arriving following week and light mounting parts. then game time.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it looks great!

If this tank was either 36" long, or like 60" and set up for a peninsula, I would have pulled the trigger when this thread was first started. I've been looking for a tank for long enough to know that this is an awesome deal. I'm just trying to wrap my head around that 48" length. I need to figure out a perfect space in our house for a 48" tank, and that's a bit of a challenge.

Thanks again to everyone for your time and help! I am so serious about getting a new tank, I have the wife's approval and a modest stash of cash set aside for this. And maybe I won't get my "dream tank" right now, or ever, but I want a nice, clean, contemporary display tank. No offense to anyone, but I don't just want another "fish tank", I want a really nice aquarium. That's my goal :)

What type of fish do you want? There's a pretty big jump in the fish that work for a 36" tank vs a 48" tank -- more active fish like flasher and fairy wrasses and the more easy going herbivores like foxfaces and bristletooth tangs. Next big jump from there in my opinion is the 72" tank where you get the more active tangs.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish do you want? There's a pretty big jump in the fish that work for a 36" tank vs a 48" tank -- more active fish like flasher and fairy wrasses and the more easy going herbivores like foxfaces and bristletooth tangs. Next big jump from there in my opinion is the 72" tank where you get the more active tangs.
Right! I don't have a formal stocking list or anything, but I jumped back into this hobby (and I've been off and on since the 1980's) coming last from a 125 gallon, and going with a 15 gallon AIO. My plan was to grow the 15 to an IM Nuvo 40 Black (not an AIO) that I already own, but I kept looking at that 40 and decided it's just too small. So now I'm looking around 80 to no more than 120 gallons. I have the perfect spot in my house that is about 36", a 36" cube style tank would fit perfectly, or I could do a 60"x24" peninsula tank. I don't have any specific fish in mind, but I know how limited I've been with a 15 gallon, and I don't think 40 gallons buys me that much more real estate. I'm now thinking 80-120 or so opens me up to a lot more fish and coral growth. Yes, I know I can't keep dinner-plate sized Tangs, but I can keep some wrasses and other fish that just can't go in a 15.

Thank you very much for your help!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is huge. $2700 was it? Stand and sump included.
Yes - tank, stand, sump, and unions. Look at those new 1.5” unions and valves - I believe I’ve paid $300+ just for those suckers!

I actually have space in the fish room but it’s an overkill to have a 93g, 175g, 360g, and 450g all in the same room! My wife said that I can do that…when I’m single again! Honestly don’t know what she meant by that - smh.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48” tank good size and has lots of options. You can get a tomini tang also!
32FFD7D6-F952-4489-8731-42C6DA6E8F2E.jpeg
DA956637-E73B-4EF6-AA8A-4BA662600615.jpeg
406268CD-EEC1-44A6-8B5E-0E4018E2E1B4.jpeg
E9D03C32-DF82-4CAF-AE71-747FAD4304D8.jpeg
Just wow!

Thank you for sharing!

I'm not questioning this tank one bit, or a 48" tank in general (I do have a 48", 75 gallon freshwater going), I just don't know if I have the space for this 48" tank "deal"

But thank you again for your help, time, and pics!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it looks great!

Just buy the tank you want imo. The tank itself is a small cost of the overall hobby and hopefully you will have it for many many years. Unless you can’t afford what you really want, then settle :)

Anywho, this set up looks nice for a grow out tank I could use *eyes*

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy the tank you want imo. The tank itself is a small cost of the overall hobby and hopefully you will have it for many many years. Unless you can’t afford what you really want, then settle :)

Anywho, this set up looks nice for a grow out tank I could use *eyes*
This is exactly where I am - I simply can't afford what I really want from Glass Cages or Planet or others - and I'll add that I'm just blown away at what a tank costs these days, and I don't think I'll ever pay that much for a box of water for my fish, even if I had the extra money to spare. Man, how did I get so old lol!

Without devolving into a lot of crying about how expensive things are these days, I've been in this hobby off and on for long enough to remember when we used to caution new reefers that the tank itself was not the most expensive part of setting up and running a saltwater tank. Back in the day, it was common to think that if you had the $100 to buy a tank, then surely everything else you needed would be less expensive, which as you all know was totally untrue. This is no longer the case. Now, you have low iron glass, slick silicon seams, and dare I say some great marketing, and the tank itself is firmly one of the most expensive things you'll buy for a new system.

I also enjoy woodworking, and I want to build my own stand. I have lights, sumps, pumps, skimmers, you name it in storage, so I don't need the whole package - I just want to buy a tank lol!

But this is a screaming deal, and I'm tempted. It's not exactly "perfect" for me at this time, but it fits my meager budget, and checks a lot of my boxes, so to speak.

Thank you guys for your help and for letting me talk about this! My wife also loves aquariums, and she's green-lighted me to get a 'real' tank, but she's sick of hearing me talk about tanks I'd consider buying lol!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly where I am - I simply can't afford what I really want from Glass Cages or Planet or others - and I'll add that I'm just blown away at what a tank costs these days, and I don't think I'll ever pay that much for a box of water for my fish, even if I had the extra money to spare. Man, how did I get so old lol!

Without devolving into a lot of crying about how expensive things are these days, I've been in this hobby off and on for long enough to remember when we used to caution new reefers that the tank itself was not the most expensive part of setting up and running a saltwater tank. Back in the day, it was common to think that if you had the $100 to buy a tank, then surely everything else you needed would be less expensive, which as you all know was totally untrue. This is no longer the case. Now, you have low iron glass, slick silicon seams, and dare I say some great marketing, and the tank itself is firmly one of the most expensive things you'll buy for a new system.

I also enjoy woodworking, and I want to build my own stand. I have lights, sumps, pumps, skimmers, you name it in storage, so I don't need the whole package - I just want to buy a tank lol!

But this is a screaming deal, and I'm tempted. It's not exactly "perfect" for me at this time, but it fits my meager budget, and checks a lot of my boxes, so to speak.

Thank you guys for your help and for letting me talk about this! My wife also loves aquariums, and she's green-lighted me to get a 'real' tank, but she's sick of hearing me talk about tanks I'd consider buying lol!

If you can build everything else, why not just order a deep blue tank in the size you want? Can even drill it yourself to get the external overflow.

Or you could order a freshwater tank and drill it, some of those have fancy 45 degree seams. I am waiting for saltwater side to catch on to that.

Peninsula tanks are a favorite of mine. Wish I had a spot for one.

I can’t built for ****, otherwise I would never buy a pre made stand. They are basically all “meh” unless you pay 1000s for the stand alone.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Fyi the one I linked is all low iron glass :)
The rear comes painted black with felt pads between the overflow plumbing and anything else that has a risk of touching the rear, to prevent scratch’s in that rear paint

There are other nice touches like a stand-off to hold the weight of the plumbing, bulkheads to allow the return to exit cleanly

The stand isn’t particle board crap. It’s made from marine plywood and skinned in waterproof laminate inside and out - completely waterproof stand

You could sell your extra gear and buy this lol

And I already worked with vivid creative aquatics and figured out a powerhead / rfg combo to handle flow so that no internal powerheads are needed

ED042B41-0A3D-48C7-A3CF-B7B0A03F49A4.jpeg
52AE08E6-D80C-4A7A-8C0A-C0521C32174E.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 2.0%

Back