Caulerpa eating fish

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa made its way from my fuge to the DT and has gained a foothold in the rockwork. I can't get at all of it for manual removal, and the rockwork is bonded together into a 50-60 pound mass that's not coming out.

I'm looking for suggestions of fish that have a tendency to eat macro. I know that rabbitfish will, but what about some of the smaller tangs? The tank is a 4x2x2 120G.

Thanks

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a one spot fox in my 120g that was a great grazer, and fits the tank, but I'm sure a small bristle/tomini would work as well.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure whether the Tomini would eat macro. I think that the Naso and vlamingii might outgrow the 120?

Thanks

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same story on caleurpa from 'fuge in tank. We had a purple tang that LOVED it and we've an Atlantic Blue Tang in quarantine that is showing lots of interest. Our hope is that the ABT will devour it.

We have 2 urchins that don't appear to consume any...

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang for 10 years; it loved nori but I never once saw it pick at algae in the tank. Same goes for my Coral Beauty - I've had it for 11 years and have never seen it pick at algae.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. That's not what I wanted to hear. My LFS has a Tomini and was thinking about heading out to grab it today. May have to rethink it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow/purple/scopas would all fit and would be more likely to eat it than the bristletooth tangs. Bristletooths are detritus eaters in nature. Maybe your old yellow tang was defective? You could try one of the smaller Acanthurus tangs, like a lavender or convict. I don't have experience with convicts, but I've seen folks report them to be great algae eaters.

Rabbitfish would be another option. Do you not want one of those?

You could try a starry or one of the lawnmower blennies.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a cool fish. Pretty colors and not terribly agressive.

I had a blue spotted rabbitfish that ate macro but it quickly outgrew my tank (poorly researched purchase on my part). Not sure if one would fit in a 120 gal. Maybe a foxface, as suggested above.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small scribbled rabbitfish in my 30G zoa tank to take care of a caulerpa/bubble algae gone wild problem. I know that the fish will eventually outgrow the tank and I will need to move it to the 120G, so I'd rather not have another rabbitfish already established in the tank. I'm not sure whether a Foxface would be compatible with the scribbled. It might be an option.

I have a Starry Blenny in the 120. It's a beautiful fish but doesn't touch the caulerpa.

I've thought about getting a scopas, but I'm not crazy about its looks. The Purples are beautiful, but tend to be one of the most expensive tangs that are locally available. Will take a look at the Lavender/Convicts.

Thanks everyone.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lavendar in my 120g, it's become one of my favorite tangs, pretty and very peaceful, and not a real big swimmer compared to others, seems to fit the tank fine. Personality is very similar to naso or tennenti/lieutenant.

I totally avoid caulerpa myself so can't say what it may do for that.

Naso and vlamingi won't just outgrow tank, they are already too big, same for the atlantic blue.

Convicts can be pretty ticky.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 46 21.5%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 69 32.2%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 51 23.8%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back