Fish breathing and swimming at flow @day 9 of copper, what is it?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins may be getting nipped by the other tang and progressing into bacterial issue.

Looking back at your video of all the fish, I wouldn't say your yellow fella looks terribly friendly.

My Tang likes to intimidate others very subtle like.. just sort of swimming under them or in their path or turning sideways to show how big he is.

Video was short so I can't say but I'd watch them closely. A fish going up to the corner sometimes means they are being bullied.

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Fins may be getting nipped by the other tang and progressing into bacterial issue.

Looking back at your video of all the fish, I wouldn't say your yellow fella looks terribly friendly.

My Tang likes to intimidate others very subtle like.. just sort of swimming under them or in their path or turning sideways to show how big he is.

Video was short so I can't say but I'd watch them closely. A fish going up to the corner sometimes means they are being bullied.
Hmmm I just spent a good 1 hour observing them and honestly I couldn't find any moment where the orange shoulder showed aggression. You could be right but honestly I don't know. Maybe at night? By aggression they should be somewhat chasing each other right? I do have a spare third tank I can transfer the tang to. Do I have to treat the fins?

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys and sorry for the bombardment of questions, I was kinda panicking. Last time this happened I instantly dosed prazi with copper and I misdiagnosed flukes and killed all my fish. Gonna slow down this time and try to get a better diagnosis, I don't think it's flukes because no loss of appetite or scratching or yawning. Just swimming at the powerhead. Could be aggression. Will monitor until day 14 where I will transfer out to a sterile tank. I can do prazi there safely and cover the basics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys I managed to pull out my old canon to actually take some better photos. What I noticed is that the sailfin tangs Fins are looking bad, it wasn't like that at all in the 2 days ago. Also there is some pitting near the eyes. What could that be? Other fish visually look fine.

Surprisingly both tangs are still eating! They just ate some pellets
MNY_1435.JPG

MNY_1472.JPG
MNY_1446.JPG
MNY_1452.JPG
Fins show light aggression damage with healing and the pitting looks like light HLLE as the fish is also slightly thin and often associated with water quality and diet. Not sure what foods your are feeding but these fish need vitamin C, fats and omegas in their diet and a few good foods are LRS Herbivore frenzy, plankton, mysis shrimp, Hikari seaweed extreme pellets and Formula two frozen

OP
OP
Hezam

Hezam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
0   0   0
Fins show light aggression damage with healing and the pitting looks like light HLLE as the fish is also slightly thin and often associated with water quality and diet. Not sure what foods your are feeding but these fish need vitamin C, fats and omegas in their diet and a few good foods are LRS Herbivore frenzy, plankton, mysis shrimp, Hikari seaweed extreme pellets and Formula two frozen
I've only had these fish for 8 days. When I got them they were Extremely thin. They looked much worse at the LFS actually. I am currently feeding mysis, brine shrimp, hikari sea weed extreme pellets, hikari marine pellets and some nori sheets. I do have some formula two pellets but didn't offer to them. Is that good enough?

Water quality I don't know how to address that. It seems like fish hate being in copper. I am changing like 80% percent of the water every two days. Siphoning out all the waste and no food sits at the bottom. Trying to maintain a very clean tank. Not sure how to get even better water quality

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry by lesions what do you mean, as damaged tissue by flukes? Am I able to see that
I meant - on the pictures you sent on my computer - I do not see specific lesions - though the way the fish is holding itself/fins - is odd

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys and sorry for the bombardment of questions, I was kinda panicking. Last time this happened I instantly dosed prazi with copper and I misdiagnosed flukes and killed all my fish. Gonna slow down this time and try to get a better diagnosis, I don't think it's flukes because no loss of appetite or scratching or yawning. Just swimming at the powerhead. Could be aggression. Will monitor until day 14 where I will transfer out to a sterile tank. I can do prazi there safely and cover the basics
It's fine - IMHO - the key is as @tamberev said - progression. Second - you may often not see aggression while you're sitting there - its often best to post a camera/recorder for 3-4 hours

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've only had these fish for 8 days. When I got them they were Extremely thin. They looked much worse at the LFS actually. I am currently feeding mysis, brine shrimp, hikari sea weed extreme pellets, hikari marine pellets and some nori sheets. I do have some formula two pellets but didn't offer to them. Is that good enough?

Water quality I don't know how to address that. It seems like fish hate being in copper. I am changing like 80% percent of the water every two days. Siphoning out all the waste and no food sits at the bottom. Trying to maintain a very clean tank. Not sure how to get even better water quality
At minimum, add LRS Herbivore frenzy. While this fish is a herbivore, it needs meats and vitamins in its diet. No need to change this much water this frequently unless you are showing high ammonia levels

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand that you don't have a local fish store, but quit buying from the business you're buying from now !!! If their selling sick livestock, you're just helping them stay,.... in business !

A store by me has been in business since 1972 and was owned and managed my caring and loving people of all their livestock, but it was sold in 2014 and I will never,....buy anything from them, not even air live tubbing. All the employees want to do is be on their cell phones, all dang day. I would call out quietly, that there is a dead or dying fish in that tank, and he said, "oh yeah, he was fish food this morning". I'm sorry, but I said, "this is the last time I'm ever in this store again @@@hole" ! That wasn't the first time either.

SO PLEASE,...don't support that business anymore. Isn't their any hobbyists near you, a club etc. ? Is shipping too far away ?

If you can't post here, send me PM saying what Country you're from. I have a guy that knows shippers all over the globe and has been in that field for over 35 years supplying even the richest of the rich with fish that are over $8k each as well as corals.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back