Clam and Utter Chaos on same rock.

ChrisIC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I love my Utter Chaos palys but they spread like wildfire and are now taking over my clams rock. At what point should I start pulling them away from the clam? Or, do clams have their own way of stopping corals from overcrowding them? The clam already has a sponge growing on one side, it does no harm and I find it interesting but I'm not so sure the palys would be so benign.
Thanks, Chris.

20240908_142942.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys. I love my Utter Chaos palys but they spread like wildfire and are now taking over my clams rock. At what point should I start pulling them away from the clam? Or, do clams have their own way of stopping corals from overcrowding them? The clam already has a sponge growing on one side, it does no harm and I find it interesting but I'm not so sure the palys would be so benign.
Thanks, Chris.

20240908_142942.jpg
Zoa will climb up the shell and overtake the clam or at least irritate it. Clam looks great and my focus would be removing or fragging the zoas onto a plug and replant elsewhere in the tank

OP
OP
ChrisIC

ChrisIC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. The clam is sitting on a thick frag plug which is stuck to the top of the rock. I really like the way it looks so I'll keep the zoas off the plug (they've just reached the top of the rock) and they won't bother the clam. They're big so they're easy enough to peel off with tweezers or forceps.
Thanks guys.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have zoas grow all over the side of clams and never really had any issues. If the zoas get to the point where it might start shading the clam just kalk paste the ones at the very edge of the clam. Looks really cool though

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back