ESHOPPS Mariner 70 Build

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, not the best picture....

IMG_20240126_145959968.jpg

But it's the best picture!!!!!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, my wife helped me drag the tank inside and now she's tired and wants to watch TV to rest so plumbing video is tomorrow morning before the wild animals wake up.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some close up pictures of the amoured seams please... It's one of the main feature that eshopps and redsea tanks have
I'll grab some when I get home.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So @nickng I'm not the best with pictures but here ya go! All 4 corners have black silicone and then a piece of black glass covering the silicone
IMG_20240126_220611447.jpg
IMG_20240126_220421216.jpg

The black silicone almost makes the tank look like it has a frame.
IMG_20240126_221056549.jpg

One thing to note: the base doesn't have guarding on the sides or front and back so if you do bare bottom, that's just silicone.
IMG_20240126_221348256.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, definitely needs some post editing.

Two parts of the video are done. Going to do a third "final cut" video which will combine the two videos into one and show the completed project.

Videos are too large to upload so I'm going to the MeTube to upload and I'll drop a link.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So @nickng since you're interested in the pros and cons of this tank, one thing I would consider changing on this plumbing since it's rigid and has to be lined up almost perfect or you have problems - a second union on each drain pipe. If there was a union up top you could adjust the piping after installation.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @nickng since you're interested in the pros and cons of this tank, one thing I would consider changing on this plumbing since it's rigid and has to be lined up almost perfect or you have problems - a second union on each drain pipe. If there was a union up top you could adjust the piping after installation.
Thanks for pointing that out. maybe replacing a small section of the rigid pipe with silicone or vinly pipe will do the trick too. BTW, does the manual suggest using PVC pipe sealant/glue to attach the drain pipes and return pipes to the bulk heads of the overflow. If it's only fitting by friction, I worry that salt creep will happen around the edges where the bulkhead meets the pipe

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for pointing that out. maybe replacing a small section of the rigid pipe with silicone or vinly pipe will do the trick too. BTW, does the manual suggest using PVC pipe sealant/glue to attach the drain pipes and return pipes to the bulk heads of the overflow. If it's only fitting by friction, I worry that salt creep will happen around the edges where the bulkhead meets the pipe
It does on the old design. I have the older sump on my 125 and it has breather holes which really accumulates the salt creep. These fit pretty tight which should eliminate most of that.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The manual says glue is optional at the sump connection.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plumbing is glued and curing.
IMG_20240127_161303225.jpg

Now my wife's sister is in town and they want to have dinner so probably tomorrow after lunch I'll add water about half full and then I'll start adding rocks Monday after work. I still need to soak the return pump and plumb that in.

One more modification I'd make @nickng is adding a union on the return line. Once that pipe was glued into place and the flexible tubing was added the sump cannot be removed without cutting the pipe. I figure, if I have to cut it I might as well replace the coupling with a union. I might do that tomorrow just so it's done. I knocked the pipe loose on the emergency drain and I couldn't fit my hand in there to get it out and couldn't remove the sump to turn it on the side.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now my wife's sister is in town and they want to have dinner so probably tomorrow after lunch I'll add water about half full and then I'll start adding rocks Monday after work. I still need to soak the return pump and plumb that in.

One more modification I'd make @nickng is adding a union on the return line. Once that pipe was glued into place and the flexible tubing was added the sump cannot be removed without cutting the pipe. I figure, if I have to cut it I might as well replace the coupling with a union. I might do that tomorrow just so it's done. I knocked the pipe loose on the emergency drain and I couldn't fit my hand in there to get it out and couldn't remove the sump to turn it on the side.
Looking good.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, the tank is half full of water. I need to go grab my work truck and then I'll soak the pump in citric acid for an hour or so and then I'll get the water circulating in the tank.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Probably Thursday or Friday I'll add the rock and order some sand. Then, when the sand arrives I'll add that, top it off to the running level and turn everything on.

We're getting close to a reef here folks!

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh yes, definitely a good idea to put a union on the return pump. I always do that otherwise it's next to impossible to get the sump pump out. One other thing I will do to my next build is put the sump on a sliding tray so that for maintainence I can have better access to entire sump.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 36.7%
  • No.

Votes: 108 57.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.9%

Back