Feeding Question - Frozen Cube Amount

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm having issues feeding my Yellow Clown Goby. I have tried spot feeding, but am deciding to simply increase the amount of food I feed.

I have two small clowns, one yellow goby, 5 hermits and some snails / CUC in a 25g AIO. I go through a single cube of Mysis Shrimp once every 3-4 weeks or so. I am fearful of underfeeding them. I have a lot of live rock and shouldn't have any issues with ammonia. Nitrates and phosphates are a larger concern.

How much of the frozen shrimp would you feed per day for this stock list?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed enough so that it gets consumed in a couple of minutes. I would also feed at least twice a day and a varied diet. You might want to try NLS pellets, formula 1 flake, and another frozen like LRS.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed enough so that it gets consumed in a couple of minutes. I would also feed at least twice a day and a varied diet. You might want to try NLS pellets, formula 1 flake, and another frozen like LRS.
I'm staying away from dry food to keep phosphates down, I've noticed frozen to produce significantly less

Will note other foods

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only mysis and nothing else is not very nutritional in the long run. Please consider to feed the fish more often and more varied diet. I feed my clown gobies 3 times a day, mysis, brine, reef frenzy, and occassionally pellets. Pellets are loaded with vitamins and minerals for the fish

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two small clowns, one yellow goby, 5 hermits and some snails / CUC in a 25g AIO. I go through a single cube of Mysis Shrimp once every 3-4 weeks or so. I am fearful of underfeeding them.

I used to have a similar setup. Of course, the size of cubes of food may vary, but I used about one cube per week.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only mysis and nothing else is not very nutritional in the long run. Please consider to feed the fish more often and more varied diet. I feed my clown gobies 3 times a day, mysis, brine, reef frenzy, and occassionally pellets. Pellets are loaded with vitamins and minerals for the fish
I was planning on doing the same very soon. Next time I’m at LFS

fishface NJ

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my fish food: Fish eggs live clams, live mussels, live oysters (add nori if you have something that consumes). if you are gutting your fish for dinner, use it for this; if you don't eat fish then go to the fish market and ask for -it. they will give it to you for free. -whole sardines - bones and all place items in food processor. Freeze in mini cube trays.

The fish you have- feed twice a day.

There are other fish that require multi feeds per day example wrasses

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my fish food: Fish eggs live clams, live mussels, live oysters (add nori if you have something that consumes). if you are gutting your fish for dinner, use it for this; if you don't eat fish then go to the fish market and ask for -it. they will give it to you for free. -whole sardines - bones and all place items in food processor. Freeze in mini cube trays.

The fish you have- feed twice a day.

There are other fish that require multi feeds per day example wrasses
Wait, I can just blend fish scraps, freeze it, then feed that?

How about tilapia?

fishface NJ

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I can just blend fish scraps, freeze it, then feed that?

How about some tilapia?

There is no value in the fish its self...ex tilapia, cod. The value part of a fish is the guts.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back