Flipping things you got for free

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how often this happens here due to distance but back when I was still living in a large metro city, many in the hobby will give away equipment, livestock and even tanks for free to help out the community. I've given out a few freebies then as well.

I remember a few members (not here) that were notorious for taking anything and then just turn around and flip them. After a few times others caught on and they were called out for it. Some will just disappear like a ghost but some will try to defend themselves by saying they're free so they can do whatever they want with it. Which is true but personally I feel if they have no need for it then let it go to someone that does. If they take it and decide not to use it then pay it forward and give it free to the next person.

How do you guys feel about others just taking them and flipping them?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know how often this happens here due to distance but back when I was still living in a large metro city, many in the hobby will give away equipment, livestock and even tanks for free to help out the community. I've given out a few freebies then as well.

I remember a few members (not here) that were notorious for taking anything and then just turn around and flip them. After a few times others caught on and they were called out for it. Some will just disappear like a ghost but some will try to defend themselves by saying they're free so they can do whatever they want with it. Which is true but personally I feel if they have no need for it then let it go to someone that does. If they take it and decide not to use it then pay it forward and give it free to the next person.

This happens a lot. Not really immoral or illegal, just frowned upon, imo. Unless an agreement is made. For example, I got an AI gyre that I didn’t order in the mail from a store. It was a $300 item. They told me to keep it. So I donated it to a raffle at a local frag swap. The winner turned around and sold it on fb. Oh well. Good deeds definitely don’t go unpunished. Lol!

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling used aquarium stuff is a huge PITA

Buying it is used is a big PITA

Example
I was just trying to buy a drop in chiller on here on Sunday. Every returned PM from the seller was a personal insult

Not virtually, real insults. Even the first one

So, If someone wants to subject themselves to that, it's punishment enough

Must explain why he's selling a $1,400 chiller for $200

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling used aquarium stuff is a huge PITA

Buying it is used is a big PITA

Example
I was just trying to buy a drop in chiller on here on Sunday. Every returned PM from the seller was a personal insult

Not virtually, real insults. Even the first one

So, If someone wants to subject themselves to that, it's punishment enough

Must explain why he's selling a $1,400 chiller for $200
Up to you, but you can report PM messages for violations of the terms of service. Just tap on the “report” link on their replies.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I give someone something for free and they sell it that’s on them. We all have to live with ourselves at the end of the day. I believe in karma and everything comes full circle. Just my opinion though

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can do whatever they want with items.

Why do people expect just because they gave an item away, that the person who received the item has to follow some unwritten rules about the item? You gave it away, it is no longer yours, the other person can do whatever they want with it.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I give an item away it’s because I don’t need it, and don’t want to go through the hassle of selling it. If someone else wants to take it and then sell it, I see no reason to care. I had the option to sell it and chose to give it away. Nobody forced me to give it away.

Any bitterness is just donators remorse.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you, but you can report PM messages for violations of the terms of service. Just tap on the “report” link on their replies.
I just put him on ignore, he is not violating any TOS. Just normal human decorum

Is there a block feature on this board? That would be a nice-to-have

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put him on ignore, he is not violating any TOS. Just normal human decorum

Is there a block feature on this board? That would be a nice-to-have
I think the ignore function prevents them from messaging you also. This is directly from the TOS…

“We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.”

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "if it wasn't allowed they would've had a written rule about it" mentality is why we can't have anything nice or free

People that can't have common decency without explicitly being told to ain't getting jack for free

kc4mnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if it was given away with the intention of helping someone out that can't afford it , then it shouldn't be taken up by someone that just intends to take it to make himself a profit ! That's just all wrong ! and I know I will catch flack for it but that's my opinion!

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

unfortunately it really does happen often
to make a long story short i had an emergency at one point and needed a new setup quick, ended up getting a tank, stand and sump for $100
it wasn’t a PIF kinda thing but for what it was and the quality / the help i received
after i no longer needed it i figured i would let it go for exactly what i got it for as a kind of emergency setup for the next person
few weeks later saw it posted for i think triple the price with a bogus description about it
i know it’s not the saaammmmeee thing as this but still whole honor system kinda thing doesn’t always work :/

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back