Hanna allalinity checker

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it (Hanna Alk dKH checker),,, but I'm color blind.
Beyond that, to me, it's still faster/easier than titration tests and mine has matched well with other tests when compared.

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna alkalinity test is the easiest of all the Hanna testers, and seems VERY accurate. Push button to get C1, place cuvette with 10 ml. Tank water, push button to get C2 add reagent to cuvette, push button one last time to get instant result. 3 quick steps, 30 sec. and you are done! I love mine!

Last edited:

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the best all tester on the market… but one lesson I learned is to make sure you keep the lid on the reagent TIGHT! I apparently didn’t and eventually got wonky readings because it went bad. That little reagent lid liner is in the box for a reason!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the best all tester on the market… but one lesson I learned is to make sure you keep the lid on the reagent TIGHT! I apparently didn’t and eventually got wonky readings because it went bad. That little reagent lid liner is in the box for a reason!
I read someplace on here that you should keep the reagent in the fridge. I think it may have been Lasse who did a wright up.

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know it is very accurate?
Hi Randy, I’m truly scared of you! :( You are a person with a lot of knowledge and it’s scary being called out by you.
Please be easy on me!!! I’m not joking…I’m serious!

In my defense I did say “seems to be very accurate” not a definitive “know it is very accurate”!

In my experience the checker matches up really well with my Neptune Trident, and the results are also in line with the alkalinity that my salt is supposed to mix up to. When numbers seem off I feel it is my error if I didn’t wipe smudges off cuvettes or there are air bubbles in the sample. When I redo the test the new results seem in line with what I would expect.

Last edited:

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna hr nitrate ulr phosphate and alk. Salifert for calcium. I love the alk tester especially when I'm dialing in a system and testing a lot. I can't attest to its accuracy as it's the only alk test I have but it sure is easy to use to keep things consistent which is more important than the actual number IME.
I too refrigerate the reagents.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Randy, sir:
In your opinion, is the Hanna Alkalinity (dKH) Checker less accurate than titration tests?
If you have any write-ups on this posted anywhere, I'd be interested.
*just curious based on personal inference from some of your posts

For me, mine (Hanna) has compared well to other tests, like Red Sea and Salifert, when I've (occasionally) compared same sample.
*I also check (same sample) when I send ICP tests (2-3 times/year)

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up selling my Hanna alkalinity and calcium checkers. I replaced them with Salafert. My main reasons for the alkalinity is the cost and the issues with the reagent going bad. The calcium was just a pain. Worked well with distilled water, but too much going on.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ended up selling my Hanna alkalinity and calcium checkers. I replaced them with Salafert. My main reasons for the alkalinity is the cost and the issues with the reagent going bad. The calcium was just a pain. Worked well with distilled water, but too much going on.
I had an open alk reagent kept in the refrigerator for many months that reads the same as one I just opened. The cold storage mitigates the issue with it going bad I believe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I’m truly scared of you! :( You are a person with a lot of knowledge and it’s scary being called out by you.
Please be easy on me!!! I’m not joking…I’m serious!

In my defense I did say “seems to be very accurate” not a definitive “know it is very accurate”!

In my experience the checker matches up really well with my Neptune Trident, and the results are also in line with the alkalinity that my salt is supposed to mix up to. When numbers seem off I feel it is my error if I didn’t wipe smudges off cuvettes or there are air bubbles in the sample. When I redo the test the new results seem in line with what I would expect.

Lol. Don’t de afraid. I meant it as a legit question. I just wondered if you checked it against a known standard or something like that.

I think it is a perfectly acceptable tool for reefers, but I’d also put user issues into the list of things that give off answers, such as old reagents, cuvette scratches, etc. :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back