Help! Wrasse suddenly dying!

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Fed this morning and has been perfect and active and is a fat pig. Got it from a fully QT vendor too and it has been active and looked perfect.

Get home from work and look and he is laying on the ground all convulsing and gills are gasping hard.

Anything I can do?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Other inhabitants are all okay at the moment. Shares tank with Firefish, Possum Wrasse (both purchased from same QT vendor in person and not shipped). 2 pajama cardinals, court jester goby, skunk cleaner, yellow watchman/pistols pair, and a cleaner goby from biota and a mandarin

Tank is almost 5 years old mixed reef.

Wrasse has been in there for 10 days and has been out and eating every single one of them.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Might be unkown wrasse neurological disease. Not anything you can do. I don’t see and mouth damage that would point to a head strike.
I’ve heard this before, but it just seems so unlucky it was fine in a 30+ day QT but then had an issue 10 days after getting it.

Any idea if that’s something that can onset within hours rather than days/weeks?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about hours. Here’s Jay’s post on it.

@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure about hours. Here’s Jay’s post on it.

@Jay Hemdal
Thanks - I posted there too

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All of my fairy wrasses have died and acted exactly like this. Very active, hungry, then suddenly on deaths door.
Did they end up all dying? I’m not sure if there is anything I can do to help it or if I should just euthanize it at this point.

This is my 4th Yellow wrasse and all of them have died randomly. One day okay, the next gone. I just don’t get why they suddenly die in my tank, and were perfectly fine for 30+ days being QTd

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they end up all dying? I’m not sure if there is anything I can do to help it or if I should just euthanize it at this point.

This is my 4th Yellow wrasse and all of them have died randomly. One day okay, the next gone. I just don’t get why they suddenly die in my tank, and were perfectly fine for 30+ days being QTd
Yes. All of them. They never made it past the 1 month mark.

-Matt

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sorry I missed this. Can be neurological, impact injury or other illness but without more information and behaviors, will be hard to pinpoint. Some signs would be loss of weight, elevated breathing, hiding, as examples

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry I missed this. Can be neurological, impact injury or other illness but without more information and behaviors, will be hard to pinpoint. Some signs would be loss of weight, elevated breathing, hiding, as examples
No worries - it was fine, active, eating all the time since I had gotten it about 11 days ago now. Never hid once introduced to the tank or anything. Fed yesterday morning before going to work, and it was fine and eating still. All normal

Then I got home and checked the tank and it was upside down in the corner gill’s pumping hard. I bumped it and it swam away for a few seconds before sort of spinning and flopping back down to the sand bed like I showed in the YouTube video linked. I have kept it in an acclimation box since then and it’s laying on its side. Swims a bit and then slowly falls over again.

No physical signs of damage (mouth/nose) or body or fins at all.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue 3 weeks ago with a Red Head Solon wrasse. I coughed it up to UNWD as the seller I purchased it from said it seems to happen to about 10% of wrasses these days.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you mean you’ve never had a wrasse die from UNWD? How many have you dealt with recently?
I’ve tried to keep several wrasse - mostly Halichoeres and they all end up dying within 3 or so weeks in my system. This has been my 4th. I jumped (my mistake), 1 just disappeared, 1 had the same symptoms as this one and it ultimately died a day later. And now this one is having similar symptoms. This is over the course of my almost 5 year old system

I currently have a possum wrasse in there that is doing okay for the time being but idk what it is - my wrasse just don’t do well. All from different vendors, QTd and not.

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I really wish someone would get down to the bottom of this curse. Some say it’s viral, and some claim other things. It’s a real mystery.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you mean you’ve never had a wrasse die from UNWD? How many have you dealt with recently?

Edit:Wait sorry, I missed that your the OP lol sorry.
Part of me dislikes burning hundreds of dollars on fire cause they keep dying, but also I feel like I’ve either just gotten super unlucky with them all or something in my system is causing issues. Either way, I don’t want them to keep suffering and it just feels like s*** that I keep killing these beautiful fish - either because my tank is causing issues with them (for some reason) or the way we harvest them from the oceans.

Really hope Biota can get some more wrasse going

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

• Other (please explain).

Back