It’s very difficult to scrape coralline algae from an acrylic wall

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few guests tell me my tank looks very dirty because of all the coralline algae on the back wall.

My cousin even said, “why don’t you hire someone to clean it?”

Oof.

I used to scrape it meticulously, but it’s extremely difficult to scrape the overflow because it’s acrylic. The metal blades catch and snag on the overflow, and the plastic ones don’t make a dent on the coralline.

IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg

Does anyone have advice?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think of it as a phase. Once you have complete coverage and cuc keeps it clean, it's the perfect background

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue is partly from the brown diatom growth that’s on the coralline?

Edit for clarification: maybe it’s the brown diatoms that’s causing the “dirty” appearance?

Last edited:

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're building a ecosystem, not painting a picture. The good, bad, and ugly. A Mr clean sponge would wipe the diatoms away, without hurting the acrylic, but it will just keep coming back; maybe on the rocks instead if you keep wiping the back everyday.
Your tank looks great!! (I wish my 180's back wall looked like that) They don't know what they're seeing and being superficial.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're building a ecosystem, not painting a picture. The good, bad, and ugly. A Mr clean sponge would wipe the diatoms away, without hurting the acrylic, but it will just keep coming back; maybe on the rocks instead if you keep wiping the back everyday.
Your tank looks great!! (I wish my 180's back wall looked like that) They don't know what they're seeing and being superficial.
Thank you. Leaving the back as it is would be much easier on me. I would have no problems keeping the back clean, but the acrylic overflow box makes it extremely difficult. The blades does not pass through the acrylic easily.

Reefifier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use old creditcards, seems to work pretty well. There's even a creditcard holder for scrapung available on amazon.

voelter76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few guests tell me my tank looks very dirty because of all the coralline algae on the back wall.

My cousin even said, “why don’t you hire someone to clean it?”

Oof.

I used to scrape it meticulously, but it’s extremely difficult to scrape the overflow because it’s acrylic. The metal blades catch and snag on the overflow, and the plastic ones don’t make a dent on the coralline.

IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg

Does anyone have advice?
Let it grow!!!!!!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it, who cares what they think.

If it really bothers you, I guess for the next tank, scape rocks in front of the overflow so the coral colonies block it out.

Or change to a rock wall with some tall growing sps there.

Remember the tank is for you and not your guests.

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank made of acrilic and it’s possible to remove the coralline algae only with a piece of acrilic with sharp edges.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins to help eat it. Or drop something encrusting on there!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • No.

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back