My ocean inside Nyos Opus G2 440

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always a good idea to get multiple opinions, especially for significant expenses like a new breaker box. The Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 power bricks are rated at 8.8 Amps, but this is their maximum capacity, not their constant draw. You're definitely right the actual power consumption is typically lower during normal operation. Devices like the Kill A Watt meter can help you get an accurate reading.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's always a good idea to get multiple opinions, especially for significant expenses like a new breaker box. The Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 power bricks are rated at 8.8 Amps, but this is their maximum capacity, not their constant draw. You're definitely right the actual power consumption is typically lower during normal operation. Devices like the Kill A Watt meter can help you get an accurate reading.
Your electrician is a scammer

Amps are pulled, not pushed

There is no way those lights draw 8 amps

It's a rating of capacity

This just has me so upset!!! He said my breaker box was notorious for not flippeng the breaker and getting stuck thus burning up

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a little math...I also have the Reefi 2.0 uno pros, see my tank thread for some pictures, I don't post a lot there...

One of my lights peaks at 132watts and my other peaks at 47watts. On my SPS side, I get 300-350 PAR, and on my LPS side I get 100ish par at the tops of my rock structure.

Amps (Light 1) = 132 watts / 120 volts ≈ 1.1 amps
Amps (Light 2) = 47 watts / 120 volts ≈ 0.39 amps

So, the total current draw for both lights would be approximately 1.49 amps. This is well below the 8.8 amps maximum capacity for each power brick and should not be an issue for a standard household circuit. Adjust for your numbers...

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have another electician coming tomorrow and not gonna mention the power bricks.
The breaker on the box for that room has a 20 on it so I am assuming its atleast 15amp for the whole room.
As I said earlier I had my other aquarium(much larger) and I never had a problem for 4 years and this is the same room just a different wall in the room.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just has me so upset!!! He said my breaker box was notorious for not flippeng the breaker and getting stuck thus burning up
The breaker box is just a box

The individual breakers are what pop

If you have a breaker that pops too easy, or "gets stuck", replace that breaker. It's a 7 dollar part(had to look that up, they used to be 3 dollars)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The breaker box is just a box

The individual breakers are what pop

If you have a breaker that pops to easy, or "gets stuck", replace that breaker. It's a 7 dollar part(had to look that up, they used to be 3 dollars)
Well thank you guys as I feel so much better about things.
I felt like this guy was shady and that's why I got a different electrician coming tomorrow.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got another electrician to come and he is not only going to install a new gfci he is going to put an outlet behind my electronics cabinet.
Today I got in the stuff needed to glue together my rock scape. This is something totally new to me so I am gonna take my time with it.
PXL_20240730_182955944.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Started glueing the scape today and while it looks simple it has a lot of parts to be so small
PXL_20240804_005719543.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
PXL_20240804_005732725.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
The Starbond glue works like a champ as it bonds the reef cement and the aragonite really well.

Last edited:

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the 300 series nyos opus and it’s sweet. The 440 was above my budget unless i found one used. Great so far!

NYOS AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Manrose,
we are happy to see that you like the tank, thank you for your trust!

We just came across this because of the valve. We indeed upgraded from a membrane valve to a high quality ball valve. We did a lot of A/B testing with customers and in general, the customer satisfaction is a lot higher with the ball valve. A membrane valve is a little bit easier to dial in, but the ball valve is a lot more stable and needs less maintanance.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us via [email protected]

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Manrose,
we are happy to see that you like the tank, thank you for your trust!

We just came across this because of the valve. We indeed upgraded from a membrane valve to a high quality ball valve. We did a lot of A/B testing with customers and in general, the customer satisfaction is a lot higher with the ball valve. A membrane valve is a little bit easier to dial in, but the ball valve is a lot more stable and needs less maintanance.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us via [email protected]
I love the build quality of this tank from the seams to the size. The ball valve is fine with me now that I have seen other people use it with ease.
Water is going in soon!!!

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back