Phosphates doing weird things between tests

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a bit of a quandary as my phosphates differ significantly between test kits.

Current Numbers:
Fritz Test Kit API
Alk: 7 Alk 8
Cal: 500 Cal:440
Pho: 1.0 Pho:<.25
Nitrate: 15 Nitrate: not measurable

Food: PE Mysis & Rods Herbivore blend in a daily rotation once daily.
Equipment: Protein Skimmer, Chemipure Elite, Purigen, Matrix (not carbon).

I've had the phosphates rechecked multiple times over a week at the LFS to compare against mine, and there is a significant discrepancy.

Actions taken between checks: 45% water change & vacuumed sand, used a phosphate removing pad, decreased food amount & frequency. My problem is I don't know what to trust & and I don't want to completely 0 out my tank.

Today I dosed phosphate remover, and I'll do another 45-50% water change Monday.

My issue is that I don't know what test kit to trust. All my coral are opening up beautifully, and I have minimal algae. This leaves me deeply confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss the API tests in garbage and that will solve your dilemma. I would not make any changes to my tank based on API tests.

With that said, for phosphate I would recommend the hanna tester, I find its the most accurate.

There are several ways to remove phosphate and nitrate, personally I don't agree with feeding the fish less, its not their fault.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a bit of a quandary as my phosphates differ significantly between test kits.

Current Numbers:
Fritz Test Kit API
Alk: 7 Alk 8
Cal: 500 Cal:440
Pho: 1.0 Pho:<.25
Nitrate: 15 Nitrate: not measurable

Food: PE Mysis & Rods Herbivore blend in a daily rotation once daily.
Equipment: Protein Skimmer, Chemipure Elite, Purigen, Matrix (not carbon).

I've had the phosphates rechecked multiple times over a week at the LFS to compare against mine, and there is a significant discrepancy.

Actions taken between checks: 45% water change & vacuumed sand, used a phosphate removing pad, decreased food amount & frequency. My problem is I don't know what to trust & and I don't want to completely 0 out my tank.

Today I dosed phosphate remover, and I'll do another 45-50% water change Monday.

My issue is that I don't know what test kit to trust. All my coral are opening up beautifully, and I have minimal algae. This leaves me deeply confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pick one test kit and stick with it, otherwise you will go nuts.

Having said that, I agree with the above - toss any API kits into the trash.

The Hanna ULR Phosphate test is the most consistent kit, so I use that for Phosphate. Salifert for everything else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if you want to lower phosphate, water changes are not generally a good way due tot eh amount bound to rock and sand. You can do a 100% change, and still have significantly elevated levels a day later when some of that desorbs.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ULR “Phosphorus” is the most consistent and best checker on the market.

Let the tank stabilize for several days, and start checking the P daily at same time each morning or evening. Then you will get accurate results.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back