Red sea seam failure preparedness

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own a red sea 625 XXL v3. It has the center brace. I have so much invested into this tank that I'm setting up another tank in the event of a catastrophic failure. What else can I buy? Let's say the a front seam fails... What can I buy now to be prepared for this type of event? Clamps, sealant, straps? What would work best as temporary fix?? I would need enough time to take things out and move them over. Can someone give me some advice?
4 bar clamps (harbor freight will be fine) and something soft to go between the jaws and the tank. Felt, foam, whatever.

The idea would be to GENTLY prevent the seam from further separation, but don't try to squeeze it all back together. A grain of sand or other material in the gap could cause catastrophic failure and a bigger mess.

If it is the bottom seam things are more complicated and beyond the scope of easy to plan for.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages makes wonderful tanks.
I've heard good things. I'm kind of a cheap guy so almost everything I buy is used. I priced one out and it's alot but they seem good. I've heard reef savvy is Good too but very expensive. Red sea make good looking tanks and is think the tanks are mainly solid, but for some reason they use crap silicon and the stands are pathetic. Its disgusting that they can't build a decent stand and put a thousand lb tank on top of it.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand seems built like a tank and a solid deal.
The tank seems good. Some areas are not perfect like non even silicon or seems thin. I dont care for the sump that much. The walls are too high and return section Is very small, but the stand is good. I wish they made the return section bigger and the tank a little wider

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming red sea wouldn't be able to help me since I bought it used? Anybody try to get any help with a red sea tank where they are not the original owner.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a mairiner 130 before anything happened….

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 11

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a Red Sea 625 XXL (Gen 2) with the center brace. I've had it for 2 years with zero problems.

I guess I can understand your concerns, and chance does favor the prepared mind, but I've seen no evidence of mass seam failures among the Gen 2 models. If you're that concerned about an eventual rupture, why not just purchase a different tank now and move everything over? Why wait? To me that's kind of like purchasing a Ferrari and worrying every day about eventually having to replace the engine.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a Red Sea 625 XXL (Gen 2) with the center brace. I've had it for 2 years with zero problems.

I guess I can understand your concerns, and chance does favor the prepared mind, but I've seen no evidence of mass seam failures among the Gen 2 models. If you're that concerned about an eventual rupture, why not just purchase a different tank now and move everything over? Why wait? To me that's kind of like purchasing a Ferrari and worrying every day about eventually having to replace the engine.
Money, time, but mainly I have no where else to put one. I found a good deal on the size I wanted and set one up. I would have never thought it would turn out this nice. Its in the best spot in the house. What I should have done is bought a 7 foot or 8 foot beast. I ran out of room so fast

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money, time, but mainly I have no where else to put one. I found a good deal on the size I wanted and set one up. I would have never thought it would turn out this nice. Its in the best spot in the house. What I should have done is bought a 7 foot or 8 foot beast. I ran out of room so fast
Yeah that happens to most of us. I have a 240 gal FOWLR and the Red Sea 625 reef system, and I'm very happy with both but would love some more room. Especially in the reef.

You could always replace the 625 with a 6 or even 7 foot Cade or Waterbox, if you have an extra foot or two of space. That would give you more room and alleviate your concerns over the Red Sea seam failure. For my money, I've had no problems with my Gen 2 625, though I'll admit that I do check on the seams from time to time.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that happens to most of us. I have a 240 gal FOWLR and the Red Sea 625 reef system, and I'm very happy with both but would love some more room. Especially in the reef.

You could always replace the 625 with a 6 or even 7 foot Cade or Waterbox, if you have an extra foot or two of space. That would give you more room and alleviate your concerns over the Red Sea seam failure. For my money, I've had no problems with my Gen 2 625, though I'll admit that I do check on the seams from time to time.
Yah the only issue is the only spot I have is where the red sea currently sits. Id have to take it down do something with the livestock and then set up the new tank where the the red sea was. Too much going on. I figure I get a narrow 4 foot as secondary

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to hold out until it actually started dripping water, I would prep by creating wood corner brackets to attached with some truck ratchet straps. It would stop a complete blow out. After that a plastic tarp to tape up under the front of the tank and that water can run down into a large rubbermaid container. Of course you have to home, awake, and see it to act otherwise it doesn't matter much. Locally a guy had his office tank seam go sometime between Friday evening and Monday morning and came in to a flooded floor and a half empty RS tank.

If you really fear the failure, the second you see the seam develop bubbles or other signs, just get a new tank in there and swap it out before it actually starts to leak water. The main issue is going to be getting the tank in the home and set up to transfer everything. It may show signs of failure when your desired new tank is on back order. Personally I am an ounce of prevention over a pound of cure. I would just eat the costs and replace the tank now. If someone wants to buy it off you now while the seam is still in tact, then you can at least recoup some of the costs.

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own a red sea 625 XXL v3. It has the center brace. I have so much invested into this tank that I'm setting up another tank in the event of a catastrophic failure. What else can I buy? Let's say the a front seam fails... What can I buy now to be prepared for this type of event? Clamps, sealant, straps? What would work best as temporary fix?? I would need enough time to take things out and move them over. Can someone give me some advice?
A lot of water sensors around the tank

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem extremely paranoid, why not grab some euro braces for your new tank?

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put four clamps on our RS because the front panel has big areas of bubbles and I can see algae in between the edges. The clamps are to help with a piece of mind, while I figure out where to put the coral and fish. We are going to re-do the panel and place a structure under the tank to support the front panel when the glass has bee repaired, new silicone. After reading about the RS failures..... it seems to be that the front panel is the problem. Well it has not support. I asked about this and was told no problem, yeh well seems to be a problem.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back