Regal hippo tang possible fluke or ich

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yesterday morning I added the last bit of copper power and tested and got 2.25ppm with a Hannah checker. Now 2 days ago in the middle of the night, I got the emperor into the qt. So he has been in for one day of copper but his skin is almost falling off??? Can you give the video a look and tell me if this is right, or if it’s something else. Also, note there is some ammonia in the tank going to do a water change on it. Could this be ammonia burn?

slight but ammonia is in between 0.25-0.50ppm. It was a quick setup QT tho but I added a 3 pound bag of ceramic pieces to the canister filter I put on it.
I dont see skin peeling in video but do see its eyes have clouded over suggesting a fluke issue going on. It takes coppersafe 3-4 days to take effect so you wont see improvement up front. PraziPro may be a consideration at this point with the signs seen.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see skin peeling in video but do see its eyes have clouded over suggesting a fluke issue going on. It takes coppersafe 3-4 days to take effect so you wont see improvement up front. PraziPro may be a consideration at this point with the signs seen.
Is it safe for the fish to dose copper safe and Pyro simultaneously? And effective?

If so what prazi pro do you recommend?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday morning I added the last bit of copper power and tested and got 2.25ppm with a Hannah checker. Now 2 days ago in the middle of the night, I got the emperor into the qt. So he has been in for one day of copper but his skin is almost falling off??? Can you give the video a look and tell me if this is right, or if it’s something else. Also, note there is some ammonia in the tank going to do a water change on it. Could this be ammonia burn?

slight but ammonia is in between 0.25-0.50ppm. It was a quick setup QT tho but I added a 3 pound bag of ceramic pieces to the canister filter I put on it.
As was said, copper takes 72 hours just to slow down the progression of ich. Secondary bacterial infection can also happen with long term ich. Finally, as I mentioned the angel could also have flukes.

You’ll need to manage that ammonia - do you have more bio media you can add? Otherwise you’ll need to manage it through water changes or maybe Amquel.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is it safe for the fish to dose copper safe and Pyro simultaneously? And effective?

If so what prazi pro do you recommend?
You can, however you will want to increase aeration with air stone and focus on ammonia level with a Reliable ammonia test kit

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe for the fish to dose copper safe and Pyro simultaneously?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe for the fish to dose copper safe and Pyro simultaneously?
As I had mentioned yesterday morning, some people have dosed coppersafe and Prazipro together with no issues.I typically don’t do that because I treat fish with copper right away, so I can wait on fluke treatment.
Another option would be to buy some time by giving the fish a freshwater dip to knock off most of the flukes, giving you time to finish the copper treatment. However, dips are also stressful and fish capture for them must be fine with finesse so as not to damage the fish.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
Does this look like a good option for prazi pro? Also does either of you have a write up on how to administer it and things to look out for?

Also I was planning to ammonia test 1 a week but for the first week or two I am going to kick it up to every other day and just do water changes pulling out of my 180g display to get the ammonia down, or should I use fresh mixed saltwater?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I had mentioned yesterday morning, some people have dosed coppersafe and Prazipro together with no issues.I typically don’t do that because I treat fish with copper right away, so I can wait on fluke treatment.
Another option would be to buy some time by giving the fish a freshwater dip to knock off most of the flukes, giving you time to finish the copper treatment. However, dips are also stressful and fish capture for them must be fine with finesse so as not to damage the fish.
So, in your humble opinion wjth nothing coming back to you if you where in my situation would you:

Pull the angel fo a freshwater dip and return to copper for the remainder 30days then do prazi pro to the qt tank.

Administer the prazi pro to the qt tank wjth the angel and hippo and tomini?

Also should I just continue the copper due to him eating and acting okay?? And if he is to start acting different and not eat then add the prazi to the tank or freshwater dip?
Also I have the hippo tang and tomini tang in the qt too so if prazi makes the qt a lot harder on them I am ify due too the other 2 in the tank aswell.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So, in your humble opinion wjth nothing coming back to you if you where in my situation would you:

Pull the angel fo a freshwater dip and return to copper for the remainder 30days then do prazi pro to the qt tank.

Administer the prazi pro to the qt tank wjth the angel and hippo and tomini?

Also should I just continue the copper due to him eating and acting okay?? And if he is to start acting different and not eat then add the prazi to the tank or freshwater dip?
Also I have the hippo tang and tomini tang in the qt too so if prazi makes the qt a lot harder on them I am ify due too the other 2 in the tank aswell.
Freshwater dip being a temporary measure for relief will stress the fish more than help but can reduce the flukes slightly assuming flukes are present.
I too, choose not to mix both but would if you do , dose prazi at 50% of recommended to see how fish respond and react. Prazi reduces oxygen and appetite in which the angel is already not eating. Air stone and good water quality will play important role when mixing these meds

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like a good option for prazi pro? Also does either of you have a write up on how to administer it and things to look out for?

Also I was planning to ammonia test 1 a week but for the first week or two I am going to kick it up to every other day and just do water changes pulling out of my 180g display to get the ammonia down, or should I use fresh mixed saltwater?
Prazipro is dosed on the actual water volume of the tank - typically 85% of the tanks rated volume due to displacement by rocks. You add it directly to the tank, add good aeration from an airstone or two. Run any skimmers, but don’t collect skimmate. Remove any carbon filtration. After 8 days, do a 25% water change and redose. A third dose after another 8 days helps to ensure the cure works.

As for the water source for changes, I can’t answer specifics on that, but you don’t want to use water from a tank that has these sick fish in it. You can fill a QT using that water, but not for subsequent water changes once treatment has begun.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the angel still eating and acting normal I am going to do copper for the 30 days and then treat the qt with prazi after that for the full treatment and then pull all medications and watch them for a week before returning to display. Will mention you guys if anything arises that I can’t follow this course and I appreciate you guys for all the help knowledge and opinions!

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days into copper and the hippo tang is completely 180 no ich spots at all, tomini tang had not much but it now has no ich. The emperor previous had super cloudy eyes and its skin almost looked like it was peeling and it was super drab color, it also has done a turn around. Not 100% like the others but it got put in 2 days before the others. Super happy I listened and went this route to get this guys healthy and back to 100%. Keeping up with water changes and swapping floss every 2-3 days just to pull as much gunk out as I can wjth it being a lot of fish for a 40.

Attachments

• IMG_4504.mov
    38.8 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
4 days into copper and the hippo tang is completely 180 no ich spots at all, tomini tang had not much but it now has no ich. The emperor previous had super cloudy eyes and its skin almost looked like it was peeling and it was super drab color, it also has done a turn around. Not 100% like the others but it got put in 2 days before the others. Super happy I listened and went this route to get this guys healthy and back to 100%. Keeping up with water changes and swapping floss every 2-3 days just to pull as much gunk out as I can wjth it being a lot of fish for a 40.
This is great to see and hear and continue treatment until you have reached the 4 week period of treatment and continue to monitor ammonia levels. These are the outcomes that makes everyone's day a whole lot better

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% and I will continue for the full 32 days due to me getting a powder blue a little while back and not listening the the full 32 days and cutting it at 25. It broke out with ich again and killed my whole tank. Then I got 2 purples did the full 32 days and they have been models for about 5 months.

One question if I want to keep the qt up and going and the qt is at 2.25ppm checked by hanna checker could I just pull the 3 fish out at the 32 day mark and put them in the display or should I pull the copper out before and then add them? Because I plan to get my last tang for my 180 and want to get some anthias and a couple other small ones and will for sure be running them thru copper after this problem.
This is great to see and hear and continue treatment until you have reached the 4 week period of treatment and continue to monitor ammonia levels. These are the outcomes that makes everyone's day a whole lot better

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I agree 100% and I will continue for the full 32 days due to me getting a powder blue a little while back and not listening the the full 32 days and cutting it at 25. It broke out with ich again and killed my whole tank. Then I got 2 purples did the full 32 days and they have been models for about 5 months.

One question if I want to keep the qt up and going and the qt is at 2.25ppm checked by hanna checker could I just pull the 3 fish out at the 32 day mark and put them in the display or should I pull the copper out before and then add them? Because I plan to get my last tang for my 180 and want to get some anthias and a couple other small ones and will for sure be running them thru copper after this problem.
Pull the fish at 32 days - Yes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. They look good!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes pull but after 32 days. but do you ween out the copper or you can leave the copper at 2.25ppm and pull them so I can buy a new fish and put it in the qt right after them?
I do that all the time….

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave my QT running with the HOB filter running only, and turn the heater down to 69 degrees. I leave the water the way it was when the last fish goes into the display. If you need to use it again, just turn on the power head and increase temperature, do a small water change, check the copper level, and use the tank. Copper level seems to break down a little over time so always check it again. I also ghost feed the tank once in a while. Now... this is a QUARANTINE TANK and no longer a hospital tank! Congrats on saving your fish!

PS - I find it super helpful to use a dry erase marker and write everything that I do to the tank, all tested levels, etc, directly on the aquarium glass. As soon as I test copper, do a water change, add Copper Power, etc, I write the date and what I do on the side glass. Also write when fish look better and eating changes. Works awesome. Then when your done you can take a pic of everything you did for future reference, then erase it. Good Luck

Back