Rock flower question

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a collection of rock flowers after one appeared (crawled out of a rock crevice where it was hiding) in a tank I inherited. Can anyone telle why my oldest looks like this:
Screenshot_20240626-150837.png

Screenshot_20240626-150951.png

(Fatter, happier and more active than I've ever seen it)

And the others look like (normal) this:
Screenshot_20240626-150905.png

They're all happy. Healthy, eating and growing.... I'm just wondering.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm, that first one doesn’t look like any rock flower anemone I’ve ever seen. I’m leaning towards it being something else but what I don’t know. @ISpeakForTheSeas any help?
It did spend it's early days flatter. I got it from a supplier we all know and isn't all that reliable about sending what you actually ordered (it was supposed to be a blue and silver RF...) it's the first one I ever had, so I didn't know better until the little green/red guy appeared out of hiding...

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did spend it's early days flatter. I got it from a supplier we all know and isn't all that reliable about sending what you actually ordered (it was supposed to be a blue and silver RF...) it's the first one I ever had, so I didn't know better until the little green/red guy appeared out of hiding...
I could be wrong it’s just I never saw one that even looked close. I tagged the big gun, we will see. I’m curious to find out as well.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen RFAs act like that when fed some foods like reef roids (someone else's posts). But I'm sure the first one is an RFA, just bloated. @jkcoral seen this look before?
Unrelated.... Because he looks like this often... Since I put him in a new tank and he had all kinds of room to spread out (and not be fined by the evil yellow damsel)... But I fed the tank reef roofs the other day and he went bananas! He moved all over, tentacles grabbing at everything and shoving it in his mouth. The most active I've EVER seen him. Then I fed the carnivores my sis and he nomed that, too, but not as crazy.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'm sure the first one is an RFA, just bloated.
Yeah, the first one there seems to be a Phymanthus species (RFA's being Phymanthus crucifer), as the large, bumpy oral disk combined with the branching tentacles is quite unique - that said, I've only see a couple of specimens from a couple different species in the genus with the tentacle morphology like that (large branches with clearly defined small branches shooting off of them; the first pic in this thread has the most defined small branches I've ever seen - it kind of reminds me of cartoon character gloves - but that may be in part because of the bloating).

Either way, very unique to see, and very neat/unusual tentacle morphology there.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the first one there seems to be a Phymanthus species (RFA's being Phymanthus crucifer), as the large, bumpy oral disk combined with the branching tentacles is quite unique - that said, I've only see a couple of specimens from a couple different species in the genus with the tentacle morphology like that (large branches with clearly defined small branches shooting off of them; the first pic in this thread has the most defined small branches I've ever seen - it kind of reminds me of cartoon character gloves - but that may be in part because of the bloating).

Either way, very unique to see, and very neat/unusual tentacle morphology there.
You mean like my green guy? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
1719444193629.jpeg

My others have the more typical straight tentacles:
1719444224763.jpeg

Or slightly notched:
1719444242725.jpeg

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the first one there s andeems to be a Phymanthus species (RFA's being Phymanthus crucifer), as the large, bumpy oral disk combined with the branching tentacles is quite unique -

wellllllllll I felt that this reply deservef better pictures!!! Thank you!
(Sorry, the blues came on between photo shoots)
Screenshot_20240626-192036.png
Screenshot_20240626-192048.png

I guess the joke is on that supplier who didn't send me what I ordered.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas any idea why he puffs up? He's not so puffy now, with the lights fading.

I like to think he's just happier in a 220g fallow tank with no jerk face fish beating him up, like when he was in the 55g.
Unfortunately, no - sorry. Certain foods being a cause wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure why this happens.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no - sorry. Certain foods being a cause wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure why this happens.
I don't think there's anything wrong with him. I've just been curious... And if anyone would know, it would be y'all! Thanks for reading and playing along, everyone!

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's anything wrong with him. I've just been curious... And if anyone would know, it would be y'all! Thanks for reading and playing along, everyone!
I never even thought about a different species. Learn something every time I log in! Ty

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Borneman anemone perhaps? Phymanthus buitendijki. I've been away from the hobby for about 16 years, but it does have a similar appearance. I kept them for a few years. They multiplied, but never got to plague proportions for me if that's what in fact it is.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borneman anemone perhaps? Phymanthus buitendijki. I've been away from the hobby for about 16 years, but it does have a similar appearance. I kept them for a few years. They multiplied, but never got to plague proportions for me if that's what in fact it is.
I do believe you're onto something. I've had him for almost 6 months. He's only gotten bigger since I moved him into the big tank. I hope all this puffing doesn't mean I'm about to have many, out of one! (I'll send it back to the folks San Diego!!)

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back