Sailfin Tang Advice

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
61EAE243-15FE-4E3F-9FB6-384C79BEED75.png
Okay before I start this post I know the Sailfin Tang in my 65 gallon reef should be in a bigger aquarium, but he came with the tank and I just got the tank about 3 weeks ago. I want to re home him to a larger proper home, but didn’t know if there was something I could do to help get his fins growing and looking the way they should in the mean time? He is very active and eats great and acts perfectly healthy just his fins are almost non existent compared to how they should be? Any advice on how to rehab his fins?

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. I for sure would consider a qt for that tang and treat for flukes. He may also have a diet issue, and a bacterial infection. Let’s call in a pro or two. @ngoodermuth, @HotRocks , @4FordFamily . They helped me through a successful qt.

Tell us about the tank and fish. How long you’ve had it, how long has the fish looked like this, ro/di water, that sort of stuff.

OP
OP
Reefman603

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great. I for sure would consider a qt for that tang and treat for flukes. He may also have a diet issue, and a bacterial infection. Let’s call in a pro or two. @ngoodermuth, @HotRocks , @4FordFamily . They helped me through a successful qt.

Tell us about the tank and fish. How long you’ve had it, how long has the fish looked like this, ro/di water, that sort of stuff.
Thanks! And this setup has been running for 5 years and previous owner has had this tang since day one I guess, not sure how long his fins have looked this way but I do know at least for the last year or two, and tank has always been topped off/ water changed with ro/di water. His diet consists of veggie pellets, the veggie sheets you can put in a veggie clip, marine formula pellets and San Francisco Bay frozen carnivore/omnivore diet, he also picks at at algea on the rocks. Other fish in the tank are two black frostbite clowns, a red hawk fish, and two green chromis, which all these fish are perfectly healthy

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fins will never grow back. The good news is you said it was eating and getting around ok. Unfortunately I dont think there is anything you can do for it

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefman603

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this bacteria something that could’ve been in the tank years ago and effected him, and he just never got the proper treatment to fix his fins so now he is the way he is? Every other fish in my tank is in excellent shape and my corals are doing great also

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this bacteria something that could’ve been in the tank years ago and effected him, and he just never got the proper treatment to fix his fins so now he is the way he is? Every other fish in my tank is in excellent shape and my corals are doing great also

It could have been, did the previous owner say how long he’s been like that?

OP
OP
Reefman603

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been, did the previous owner say how long he’s been like that?
He’s had the fun damage for longer then 2 years I know that so quite some time and previous owner has had this tang in the tank since day 1 so probably something that happened at the beginning stages of the tank being setup id assume which was 5 or 6 years ago

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could still check for flukes, but chances are that it was an infection or aggression that unfortunately ran it’s course... if the fins haven’t grown back in 2 years, they likely won’t. Once the spines are gone they usually don’t grow back.

OP
OP
Reefman603

Reefman603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could still check for flukes, but chances are that it was an infection or aggression that unfortunately ran it’s course... if the fins haven’t grown back in 2 years, they likely won’t. Once the spines are gone they usually don’t grow back.
Okay thank you

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • No.

Votes: 61 45.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back