Salt mixes/brands: What is everyone currently using?

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Two Little Fishies salt since 2019 with no problems. It mixes very clean (no brown residue) and very quickly. It also comes in convenient small pouches that mix to my preferred parameters in 4.5 gallons of water. I use two pouches for a weekly-ish 9 gallon water change from a water volume of 70 gallons in my current display. Couldn't be easier, no measuring the salt and it mixes up the same every time, it's very consistent. Target dkh is around 8 so if you like it higher you'd need to supplement.
I love Accurasea salt and have been using it several years as well, but the price just got bumped up another like $15 on SWA. These constant price hikes in this hobby now are irritating, I guess that goes with everything in life now. The new norm

TheWB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Accurasea salt and have been using it several years as well, but the price just got bumped up another like $15 on SWA. These constant price hikes in this hobby now are irritating, I guess that goes with everything in life now. The new norm
I get the 50 gallon box which is now $31.99. It used to be $26.99 and more recently $29.99. I don’t like the increase but what are you going to do? That used to last me for 10 water changes. But my tank is twice as big now so I’ll be ordering more. Going to have to look out for sales. There’s probably cheaper salt if you buy it in bulk that still mixes clean but I’ll never give up the convenience of the 5 gal pouches unless they just completely lose their minds on the price.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it stores well after mixing so you can mix large batches ahead of time.
Parameters don’t fade like other salts? So would I be able to go a few months in storage container? Ideally I want to get a 100g vertical storage tanks to keep water ready in.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Two Little Fishies salt since 2019 with no problems. It mixes very clean (no brown residue) and very quickly. It also comes in convenient small pouches that mix to my preferred parameters in 4.5 gallons of water. I use two pouches for a weekly-ish 9 gallon water change from a water volume of 70 gallons in my current display. Couldn't be easier, no measuring the salt and it mixes up the same every time, it's very consistent. Target dkh is around 8 so if you like it higher you'd need to supplement.
Reef crystals, and I just adjust mag before water changes

whatever is cheapest …

I/O orange and purple buckets
Fritz Blue
Red Sea
HW (whatever that is, All I know is I got 3 boxes)

I’m not sure making a 10% water change using any brand makes a hill of difference

Added: BTW does anyone actually have conclusive data? or has anyone even kept a log?or are we going by “my corals looked better”
At least tell us what you are basing your opinion on …

…3 decades reefing and I’ve yet to notice one dang difference in salt brands other than mixing clear or not

I see amazing tanks on the wwc videos where they go and spot light personal home reefs and many are using reef crystals. I've always used reef crystals and don't think I'll change. I just waited out the 90.00 buckets until sales come around and stocked up. I always have 6 months or more water changes in reserve.
I started with 2 little Fishies and thought the ease of use and exact measurements were great. In fact Reefpalooza and I'm pretty sure Aquashella uses it as well for the setup tanks for sellers there, as it's simple and easy, and usually Julian Sprung is around to help out.

But after a year or so, I found it didn't do much to foster coral growth. I would certainly use it again, to set up a new tank, for simplicity...but...

Once I switched to Reef Crystals, it was almost an overnight success story, and I'll never go back. When I 1st bought, Petco had the online specials..5 gallon bucket for $50, in store it was $99.

Now unfortunately the cheapest is like $65 to $75, and I now have 2 tanks, so I burn through salt faster now.

Like i have said before,,there is a reason most large aquariums in the world use IO, or Reef Crystals.

Here's a tip...when you are making your salt mix, at the halfway point of your Rodi and container getting full, I add salt, then I put a small power head into the bottom of the jug, ( I have 5 gallon ones) let it run while it fills up, then once it's full, I let the power head run for an additional 30 minutes ( obviously if it's colder outside, add a heater too)

But I don't get any crud or brown crap from doing that. Worst thing is a few particles of ummixed salt!

Last edited:

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fritz RPM Blue. I would swap to Aquaforest Reef if I can find a good deal.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well for the first 6 months of my journey into reek keeping I used the instant ocean with zero coral growth. 4 months into the switch my Duncan with 1 head now has 6. My zoas have all doubled. 3 head frog spawn has 6 along with a new head on my torch. Micromussa are bigger and healthier.
Could be due to my tank regulating naturally but this is what I’ve noticed.

know that this doesn’t qualify to determine if coral grow better or if all trace elements of one’s wishlist are in it, but it does make my life easier
In fairness I’m hardly calling out the koolaide drinkers, you TM advocate are far from wrong…And keeping it real: if Instant Ovean and Tropic Marin were the same price…..I’m buying the Tropic Marin ;)

I/O is obviously a lower grade product…my argument is does the difference even matter?

…if you are willing to pay the difference for the obvious advantages: mixing et, I can’t justify any different…

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters don’t fade like other salts? So would I be able to go a few months in storage container? Ideally I want to get a 100g vertical storage tanks to keep water ready in.
Like @leepink23 I have had it stored for a week at times. Alkalinity still matched what the bucket had listed on it. I haven't kept it stored for longer though. A week long storage means I didn't get to the weekly water change so by the second week I really feel the pressure to get it done. lol

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness I’m hardly calling out the koolaide drinkers, you TM advocate are far from wrong…And keeping it real: if Instant Ovean and Tropic Marin were the same price…..I’m buying the Tropic Marin ;)

I/O is obviously a lower grade product…my argument is does the difference even matter?

…if you are willing to pay the difference for the obvious advantages: mixing et, I can’t justify any different…
I think I may have said this earlier but as far as seeing an in tank difference between IO and NYOS, I did not.

What persuaded me to go with a synthetic salt was the clean mixing and the BRS video that showed when compared by cost per gallon at 35ppt, some of the more expensive salts weren't as expensive as I thought. :)

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What salt brand are you using currently and what brand were you using previously if this applies?
Did you find better results with the current salt and which was better?

If your favorite brand was no longer available and out of stock, what brand would be your next choice and why?

I've only ever used Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (black bucket)... I've been happy thus far, but I'm following other's experiences. :)

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see amazing tanks on the wwc videos where they go and spot light personal home reefs and many are using reef crystals. I've always used reef crystals and don't think I'll change. I just waited out the 90.00 buckets until sales come around and stocked up. I always have 6 months or more water changes in reserve.
How do you handle the high ALK?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used aqua Forest reef salt I believe. This is from my lfs and I do weekly 100 percent on my small tanks with no issues unless, salt was way high normal 1.026-.027. had one at 1.030 to .31. I also tried switching to their probiotic and was not good. If I switch salts, I will have to acclimate tank to new salt mix. But a make sure about same temp and salinity. Twice I made mistake not checking salinity.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you handle the high ALK?
I run my tank @

Cal 425-450
Alk 10
Mag 1425-1450.
I have to add magnesium before water changes.
I do a 30% water charge every two weeks. No issues with swings.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I used Instant Ocean, then no one local had it when I needed it. I switched to Reef Crystals and had issues with consistency of parameters. I have used only Tropic Marin for the last 15 years I order 3, 200 gallon boxes at a time.

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 9.0%
Back