Salt mixes/brands: What is everyone currently using?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you adjust it down? just dilution?
Add an appropriate amount of acid and aerate the water until the ph comes back up (This creates CO2 in the water). I use 9 grams of Seachem Acid Buffer per 30 gallons of new Reef Crystals saltwater to get to 8.5 dkh alk. I use a powerhead with an air line attached to aerate the water. It takes a day to get the ph back up. This is done inside a brute trash can.

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is quite helpful!
Add an appropriate amount of acid and aerate the water until the ph comes back up (This creates CO2 in the water). I use 9 grams of Seachem Acid Buffer per 30 gallons of new Reef Crystals saltwater to get to 8.5 dkh alk. I use a powerhead with an air line attached to aerate the water. It takes a day to get the ph back up. This is done inside a brute trash can.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is quite helpful!
You’re welcome! Here is a thread discussing it further. I suggest only adjusting it prior to adding to the tank and fully aerating before use.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt wait what alk does it mix to?? Cause I think hw is near 8 or just below.
Unadjusted Reef Crystals is normally around 11 dkh alk, 450 ppm calcium and 1400 ppm magnesium at 1.025 sg. for me. Some other Reefers may have different results.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have said this earlier but as far as seeing an in tank difference between IO and NYOS, I did not.

What persuaded me to go with a synthetic salt was the clean mixing and the BRS video that showed when compared by cost per gallon at 35ppt, some of the more expensive salts weren't as expensive as I thought. :)
I haven’t seen a difference either, but changed for the same reasons.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unadjusted Reef Crystals is normally around 11 dkh alk, 450 ppm calcium and 1400 ppm magnesium at 1.025 sg. for me. Some other Reefers may have different results.
@1.025

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As this subject came up today, In an ever changing industry, What salt brand are you using currently and what brand were you using previously if this applies?
Did you find better results with the current salt and which was better?

If your favorite brand was no longer available and out of stock, what brand would be your next choice and why?

I have been using and currently use Tropic Marin Actif, and previously used the pro version until the issue with Turkey had occurred. I have a few buckets of Reef Crystals salt now on hand as I stocked up before the price increase in February but I do have a small bucket of AquaForest salt to use first.

If I did not have the extra salt on hand, I would seek Seachem Salinity salt as it is my all-time favorite mix.
German made

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 36

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ten year oldbucket of IO , if it mixes with all good parameters is it safe to use? it is all crusted up like italian ices

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a ten year oldbucket of IO , if it mixes with all good parameters is it safe to use? it is all crusted up like italian ices
If sealed should work but test. Roll the bucket several times to assure the salt is separated in the bucket

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently use AquaForest Reef Salt. Previously used Reef Crystals. Started to use AF due to recommendation of a friend and that it was on sale. Been using for about 2 yrs now. Fast dissolving and I like how my tanks’ looked since. I suppose I’d go back to RC in a pinch but there’s so many options I out there….

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all manufacturers have ICP available on their salts.

The ICP only indicates composition of the scoop they tested out of the batch.
It won't account for variations in mixing, settling during transit, etc.

It's more a marketing thing than of real use in the real world.
My NYOS salt mixes to the parameters listed on their icp bucket within the margin of error

So it’s more than marketing

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you store Nyos after been mixed?
Yes I haven’t had any issues

The ones you can’t store usually have elevated alk

Nyos is between 7.5 and 8.5 alk (usually closer to 8) so I haven’t had any problems

Gman83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started with IO, then moved to RC as I started buying coral. Then at some point awhile back, BRS had AF reef on sale for cheaper than IO or RC. So I switched. I liked and used it for a while, but then I couldn't find anything other than the small bags. I'm back on reef crystals now due to availability.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with IO reef crystals about 2 years ago , but I found it left my mixing container a little dirty . So I switched to h2ocean by D D which I loved ! Then my lfs stopped getting it , so I'm now using redsea pro which I like. Been using it for about 3 months without and problems.

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the aquavitro salinity? It seems to have numbers listed in the marketing that I would prefer. I remember it mixing clean too from when it first came out.

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 9.0%
Back