OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power is restored! So thankful. Just got done running the generator gas out and getting everything hooked back up to the grid.

Now turning my thoughts to those who have been worse affected by this. We had a lot of loss here in Greenville SC, but me, my family, and close friends were blessed to make it through with inconveniences like lack of power and minimal property damage. It still feeeks like a lot.

Praying for those that have it worse off, including lost lives, lost and missing family members, destruction of property, whole towns being wiped off the map, and many as of yet untold tragedies.

We also have a lot of medically fragile folks that already suffered from food and housing insecurity that are struggling to get by. It’s been a major challenge for our health care network. It’s been difficult to care for the acutely ill, while helping the chronically ill safely manage their symptoms. We are housing folks in the hospital community room, high school gyms, and a local event venue at this time to power oxygen and home dialysis machines.

Currently feeling motivated to be a little better prepared the next time nature strikes. Also motivated to get this reef tank back up and running full speed ahead. Time to get these corals stable and growing again.

Last edited:

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power is restored! So thankful. Just got done running the generator gas out and getting everything hooked back up to the grid.

Now turning my thoughts to those who have been worse affected by this. We had a lot of loss here in Greenville SC, but me, my family, and close friends were blessed to make it through with inconveniences like lack of power and minimal property damage. It still feeeks like a lot.

Praying for those that have it worse off, including lost lives, lost and missing family members, destruction of property, whole towns being wiped off the map, and many as of yet untold tragedies.

We also have a lot of medically fragile folks that already suffered from food and housing insecurity that are struggling to get by. It’s been a major challenge for our health care network. It’s been difficult to care for the acutely ill, while helping the chronically ill safely manage their symptoms. We are housing folks in the hospital community room, high school gyms, and a local event venue at this time to power oxygen and home dialysis machines.

Currently feeling motivated to be a little better prepared the next time nature strikes. Also motivated to get this reef tank back up and running full speed ahead. Time to get these corals stable and growing again.
Glad to hear they got the power back on sooner than you anticipated and your family and friends were so blessed! How is the tank looking with all equipment back up and running?

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking ok. Feel like I’m missing a few hermit crabs and corals are puny, especially torches. All has been maintaining with very little dosing (no growth). I’m UV sterilizer planning/shopping as I’m battling either Cyano or Dino’s and not winning yet (daily turkey basting, weekly siphoning, monitoring nutrients and keeping them above zero, feeding heavily, adding home made coral snow and bio digest bacteria) .

Motivated to get this looking good. I’m debating spending the money I had budgeted for some Aussie Live Rock on the UV. Seems like a permanent and automatic fix of setup correctly. Looks like the Pentair are best but melt after a year and parts are also not readily available .ive had good luck with aqua-iv in the past. Looks like a 25 watt will do the trick. Considering mounting a painted pice of plywood behind the tank stand to mount the controllers and UV on.

Mainly just want to get my parameters stable, my light schedule back stable. And see my tank back to where it was September 13 before I went out of town and then the next week lost power for 5 days.

Twelve volt adapter plug for osmolator top-off got dropped in top-off reservoir while moving it while plugged in. Made a little tiny blue green corroded mess in the top off container. Need to get that cleaned up and see if it still works. Seems to be the only equipment issue I’m aware of, besides being about time to assess pump magnets and clean pumps. I’m especially concerned about return pump magnet as the return is old and Vortech magnets as I’ve seen them crack and swell in short time frames in the past.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning towards getting aqua UV 25 watt and plumbing it into my return. With my eheim 1260 plus head pressure looks like my flow rate should be spot on their recommended.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning towards getting aqua UV 25 watt and plumbing it into my return. With my eheim 1260 plus head pressure looks like my flow rate should be spot on their recommended.
Ordered today, now just to come up with a plumbing plan for when it gets here. I’m thinking mount it to my wall behind the tank. Need to do some measuring. May have to create a mounting 2x4 behind the tank and then screw into that. It’s unlikely my studs are located in the right place. Will use vinyl tubing and place inline with return. Gonna grab the purpose built mounts too so it’s firmly held, yet easily removable. I will use it permanently, feel like it’s just peace of mind for Dinos and fish disease. I’m doing a QT but I feel certain something will make it in at some point.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be settling since the storm now. Just frustrated with the dinos. Keeping up the good fight but I’m fatigued by it and need UV reinforcement asap.
New Royal Gramma and tomini settling into the QT well. Plan for first GC dose today and will get them into main tank 14-15 days from now after two doses.
Phosphates have been a little low despite copious frozen food feeding on top of pellets and auto feeder. Will take phosphate reactor offline today and monitor. Added 10 ml NeoNitro today. May have to start adding phosphates as well. Blows my mind how much the nutrients drop in this tank day to day with the amount of food I know I’m putting in. “Cooked” LR is a whole different world when it comes to denitrification capacity. Fish are extra fat, and I see pods everywhere since I don’t have any predators for them. Not sure if it’s from those I’ve added by bottle or if some have gotten through my dipping process. I also don’t QT my inverts so maybe from there. I’m starting to see small patches of coralline on the rocks as well. Sure that was mostly added by my snails and frags.

Todays parameters:
QT
Cu-2.28
SG-1.023
NH4-0

DT
SG- 1.026
Ca- 430
Mg- 1350
Alk- 7.9
Phosphates- 0.03
Nitrate- 5.3

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8397.jpeg
Ugly but in…. Now I can focus on more important things. Like siphoning and basting Dinos! I may want to boost my return pump flow rate as this did slow down my eheim 1260 enough to lower my water level in display.
Should I buy a purple tang to add to my QT and restart the process?? I’m gonna go look at it when it comes in tomorrow at LFS and make a game time decision. It’s one of my last fish. I still want a couple of wrasses and a Stark’s damsel but I’m getting there fish wise. If this wipes out the Dinos as hoped I’ll get back to the program stocking corals too!

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly after the uv has put a massive dent in the Dino outbreak in less than 48hrs I’m seeing most of my crabs out and about again. They were all hiding due to the Dinos, crazy.
Also I got a slightly larger than tiny sassy purple tang. It and my tomini are in QT together. Getting along decently.

IMG_8400.jpeg IMG_8433.jpeg
Love how their colors go together. Cool to me that they both have different colored tails than the rest of their body. Both have neat spots on their faces too. Getting really close to full stock of fish. Looking for a starcki damsel and a radiant wrasse to round out my stock list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8457.jpeg
IMG_8467.jpeg
IMG_8470.jpeg
IMG_8471.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg
IMG_8465.jpeg

Glad I busted out the polyp lab filter to document some progress and new corals. Needless to say, so much prouder of this tank now that Dinos are waning. Added some corals lately and they are stunners in my eyes.

OP
OP
S

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a Jebao DCP 3500 for my return. Looks like it should be plug and play with my plumbing and will allow control of flow rate. Dinos are barely hanging on, trying to avoid a complete black out. I think with a little more flow through the uv it will make them have a more difficult time hanging in there. Trying to avoid a black out. Corals are looking awesome currently.

Also looking to get some coral foods/aminos this week since I’m starting to think about feeding my corals more directly. Being able to slow/stop the pump for feeding will be very beneficial for this as well.

Next project is finding the right cabinet aesthetically, functionally, and right price point to setup a dry cabinet for controllers, power bricks, and cords.
Wife says… you really need a cabinet beside the tank for all the stuff (think she was referring to chemicals and testing, but I really want it for organization of equipment). Next two days spent relentlessly scouring ikea and asking her opinion lol. If it was curtains or some other decorative item I’d admittedly be pretty checked out on the process…

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a Jebao DCP 3500 for my return. Looks like it should be plug and play with my plumbing and will allow control of flow rate. Dinos are barely hanging on, trying to avoid a complete black out. I think with a little more flow through the uv it will make them have a more difficult time hanging in there. Trying to avoid a black out. Corals are looking awesome currently.

Also looking to get some coral foods/aminos this week since I’m starting to think about feeding my corals more directly. Being able to slow/stop the pump for feeding will be very beneficial for this as well.

Next project is finding the right cabinet aesthetically, functionally, and right price point to setup a dry cabinet for controllers, power bricks, and cords.
Wife says… you really need a cabinet beside the tank for all the stuff (think she was referring to chemicals and testing, but I really want it for organization of equipment). Next two days spent relentlessly scouring ikea and asking her opinion lol. If it was curtains or some other decorative item I’d admittedly be pretty checked out on the process…
I just recently switched to a dcw-6000 and have been very happy with it! So much quieter than the sicce syncra 3.0 I replaced! I can stand right next to my tank and not hear any audible noise from the pump!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

ASSUME MONEY AND TIME ARE NOT A FACTOR: IF YOU COULD START OVER WITH YOUR TANK, WOULD YOU?

• Yes. I would love a fresh start.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • Maybe. At times I wish I could start fresh, while other times I'm happy where I'm at.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • No. I'm happy with where I'm at in my reefing journey.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back