Sunburst Anthias lost tail, fin rot?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out tonight that my sunburst anthias lost its tail, and the cleaner shrimp was keep trying to pick on it and its keep running away. I pulled it out of display and put it in a acclimation box in the sump for now. What treatment should I do to it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of it

DSC05135-resized.jpg

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use melafix. Qt him if you can. If it's a bacteria that's doing it. Are you sure not any fish picking at it. If it's bacteria than do water change. Find out what's causing your DT water from being bad.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use melafix. Qt him if you can. If it's a bacteria that's doing it. Are you sure not any fish picking at it. If it's bacteria than do water change. Find out what's causing your DT water from being bad.

I'll move it to Qt as soon as I can get the current Qt fish out.

I think other fish picking at it definitive contributes to it, either be the cause of damage, or stress it out and lowered its immunity. It has been staying in corner, don't dare to come out when feeding, for a while now. Never able to witness which fish is bullying it, but more likely there is. I'm setting up a new tank planning to move it over when ready, but now I'm worry if it will make it till then.

I can use Melafix if it's bacteria infection? If it's purely physical damage, should I medicate it to prevent infection or not? If so, using the same medicine? Any clue how to tell if it's bacteria infection vs physical damage?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good chance that the physical damage will open a pathway for bacteria, and I'm not liking the reddened look at the base of what should be this guy's tail.

Melafix won't cure much, but may allow the fish's immune system to operate a little bit more efficiently. When bacterial infections become a real problem, what we call "the trifecta" of Kanaplex, Furan-2 and Metroplex have gotten a lot of fish out of tough spots. They do take time to work on marine fish - 10-14 days, usually.

~Bruce

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree..with above . Fatheads are also peaceful fish. What are the other fish with him. If a fish is bullying him you have to decide which one will stay. A sign of Bacteria in tank. Fish have body sores . Other fish might have fins riot too. Cloudy eye or pop eye.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the coral beauty make be the bully. But anyway, it's not going in that tank anymore. Today it's lying on its side in the acclimation box. Don't look good at all.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really old bump but I’ve got the same fish with prettt similar appearance. Maybe a little bit better of a tail but it’s not doing great. Dosing fin and tail cure in QT. Any chance for a fish like this though?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back