Taking fish from the ocean??

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no, heck no.

Collecting fish for the aquarium trade is regulated. Fish licenses, live fish collection permit, and aquarium trade permit, etc, are likely as the ocean is a very small place and if everyone collected the fish we wouldn't have any.

Happy Pirates Of The Carribean GIF

I wouldn't risk it with anybody watching. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :thinking-face:

Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz
:cool:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take fish from the ocean in Brevard County Florida I don’t know. I’ve always wanted to go diving and grab fish
Thats probably a felony!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above by @jermzisurmom contact fish and game. They will guide you. You do not want to get caught doing something stupid as the ignorant card won't work. Poaching is serious as is taking things from reserves or otherwise noted protected water(s).

Few years back during California's drought I went through a process for collecting natural saltwater. That was, well, a rather fun experience...and it was just water. Felt silly wasting so much water when creating RODI, you know.

Anyway there are laws, or may be, or things required, so fish and game is your source of record.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats probably a felony!

Here is where the OP can get some useful information.

If you take things in quantities or that are forbidden for capture then you may be prosecuted, and if you have commercial quantities of take a good DA might try and get some time in the pen to make an example out of you?

Excited Freak Out GIF by Adult Swim

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is where the OP can get some useful information.

If you take things in quantities or that are forbidden for capture then you may be prosecuted, and if you have commercial quantities of take a good DA might try and get some time in the pen to make an example out of you?

Excited Freak Out GIF by Adult Swim
Penalties:

Here in California we have similar laws and lots of hobbists who get caught face a few "Homewrecker" frag costs for court, legal representation, and court imposed fines for fishing violations.

Poaching abalone can be more severe, but its the repeat offenders who get jail time and fishing bans. Same with Game violations, the courts don't take fish crimes too seriously for most violations.

If the offender is doing commercial level harvesting then the situation can be more severe, but these crimes are not like a DUI as far as the system goes.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above by @jermzisurmom contact fish and game. They will guide you. You do not want to get caught doing something stupid as the ignorant card won't work. Poaching is serious as is taking things from reserves or otherwise noted protected water(s).

Few years back during California's drought I went through a process for collecting natural saltwater. That was, well, a rather fun experience...and it was just water. Felt silly wasting so much water when creating RODI, you know.

Anyway there are laws, or may be, or things required, so fish and game is your source of record.
That had to be a boatload of effort to deal with regulators! Hats off for getting that done! :cool:

Here in San Diego we have a spigot at Scripp's institute of Oceanography that is open to the public. Lots of Reefers use it, but many will not due to complications associated with the water from the tap. Our coastal water if fairly green and brown after a rainstorm.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, the short answer is yes, you can collect ornamental species for your own aquarium. There are some requirements and limitations.

FL FWC site has it all spelled out; ignore replies above and check their site.
Wow did you read the replies. I guess not because most of them said check local laws.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That had to be a boatload of effort to deal with regulators! Hats off for getting that done! :cool:

Here in San Diego we have a spigot at Scripp's institute of Oceanography that is open to the public. Lots of Reefers use it, but many will not due to complications associated with the water from the tap. Our coastal water if fairly green and brown after a rainstorm.

Yeah you all down South are lucky. My understanding is that Scripp's has been there a good long while which is nice. A bit too far to drive although I could make a weekend out of it and get a couple dives in Catalina.

OP
OP
I

isaacfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just found out that it is legal as long as you have the right permits and licenses and if you choose the fish because they’re on the legal list and based on their size and quantity per person per day

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least here in Brevard County
I think I saw that a pufferfish was not take, and of course liverock and corals, but good luck netting fish with SCUBA! It should be a great adventure. Post pictures if you get something legally! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back