The 5 foot build… It’s happening!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that account for list space due to would objects being solid or are you assuming pureed wrasse?
No. Wrasse fit together perfectly like one of those animal mosaic things.
Does 21,688 wrasses + 1 sixline wrasse = 1 sixline wrasse?
For some reason this reminds me of this question. What would a mole of moles look like:
IMG_0796.png

IMG_0797.png

IMG_0798.png

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Wrasse fit together perfectly like one of those animal mosaic things.

For some reason this reminds me of this question. What would a mole of moles look like:
IMG_0796.png

IMG_0797.png

IMG_0798.png
stopped at the end and began asking where's the rest. I need to know!

Also, "smothering ocean of high-pressure meat" I hope to find a use for one day.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, "smothering ocean of high-pressure meat" I hope to find a use for one day.
Easy, use that to describe a storm passing through a cow field!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The book is “What if” by Randall Munroe. One of my favorite books of all time. Though I am a physics nerd.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise a photo is coming I may just wait until tomorrow when it’s all cleared as currently you can barely see a chili coral I put right against the glass.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we think? How many wrasses will fit in this tank?

I’m guessing at least 15 if I don’t have any more large fish which is not the plan - The only 2 fish being replaced from those deaths are the regal and fox. I had the chance on another regal but didn’t want to risk it and I’m going back on Thursday/Friday as the LFS has an import coming in with some gorgeous wrasse like Diamond Tails.
This same LFS has another load of fish coming in today or tomorrow so hopefully they will have a magnificent Foxface. And some other gorgeous wrasses so I may be coming home with some new fish this week.

For now, here’s the FTS you’ve all been waiting for and the second lot of fish going in!

It’s slowly clearing, but now you can see the scape. Also, I’ve found wrasses love a variety in texture within the sand so I have some very fine sand (the bottom layer) and some thicker but still fine sand on top. And I still have some sand coming in to finish the sandbed.
IMG_9941.jpeg

And the next lot of fish… this is the big boys. The Majestic and Flame Back Angels, Cleaner Wrasse and Clown are going in fish wise but invert wise we’ve got the remaining Cleaners and conch!
IMG_9942.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re lit up and looking stunning finally!
IMG_9957.jpeg

The plan for now… no tangs or other possibly aggressive larger fish (angels however bypass this as they’re calming and fun to watch go within the rocks).
But definitely wrasse dominated, and hopefully some rarer species too.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re lit up and looking stunning finally!
IMG_9957.jpeg

The plan for now… no tangs or other possibly aggressive larger fish (angels however bypass this as they’re calming and fun to watch go within the rocks).
But definitely wrasse dominated, and hopefully some rarer species too.
One of the angels you may see appear in the future is my absolute dream dwarf, a Multicolour!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse wise, I currently plan for a couple Pencils (my LFS with the import this week has one coming in on there so if it’s as good as the photos I’ll likely come home with it), but definitely focusing on fairies/flashers with the height I now have.

Any ideas on species I should be looking for? So far;
Lineatus
Bathyphylus/Efatensis
Nahackyi (if I feel like throwing out the money on one)
Attenuatus
Rubricaudalis
Cyanogularis
Piscilineatus (again, if I ever come across one and feel like throwing the money)
Brunneus
Naokoae
Isosceles

The theory I’m going with currently is that because this will be a wrasse dominant tank, competition for Pencils, Leopards and Tamarims should be lower as they can all feed at a similar rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound insane but I’m thinking about maybe temporarily housing an emperor angel. Their colours are gorgeous and I’m hoping I can keep one long enough to see the transition with this tank. I’m aware of their growth rate being rapid so I may do it but I may not depending how I feel.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may sound insane but I’m thinking about maybe temporarily housing an emperor angel. Their colours are gorgeous and I’m hoping I can keep one long enough to see the transition with this tank. I’m aware of their growth rate being rapid so I may do it but I may not depending how I feel.
At 6" they slow down. If that means anything to you.

Or smaller tanks keep them growing slower?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 6" they slow down. If that means anything to you.

Or smaller tanks keep them growing slower?
I thought that would be the case, it seems most fish slow in growth once half way to their max size.

I guess my main concern is if my tank will be big enough for an emperor at 6 inches and how long it takes them to get to 10-12 inches.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought that would be the case, it seems most fish slow in growth once half way to their max size.

I guess my main concern is if my tank will be big enough for an emperor at 6 inches and how long it takes them to get to 10-12 inches.
If anything like my emperor, she didnt care. She was happy, fat slow swimmer, grazed on clove polyps as i could get them. Just a water puppy. The only issue is if you're worried about water quality.

I rehomed due to being told they need large tanks . I should have kept her until she got to 10" and seen if it was true.

Beautiful fish that easily becomes attached to the hand that feeds

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back