The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 1.46.22 PM.png

Get you magnifying glass out I have completed my wrasse family tree! Yes I only included the genera you usually see in the hobby because this was hard enough as it was. Also the two main sources I used disagreed with each other constantly so this is probably wrong but oh well. For reference Labridae is obviously the family, everything non-bold is a subfamily group and everything bold on the right is a genera. Also I made up most of the subfamily greek names and all of the common names.
@SaltyT tagging you as you will be the most likely to know how wrong this is and tell me gently.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get you magnifying glass out I have completed my wrasse family tree! Yes I only included the genera you usually see in the hobby because this was hard enough as it was. Also the two main sources I used disagreed with each other constantly so this is probably wrong but oh well. For reference Labridae is obviously the family, everything non-bold is a subfamily group and everything bold on the right is a genera. Also I made up most of the subfamily greek names and all of the common names.
@SaltyT tagging you as you will be the most likely to know how wrong this is and tell me gently.
Could up the res a bit. Names are a bit pixilated. Did I see the scientific term "piggy wrasses"?

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could up the res a bit. Names are a bit pixilated. Did I see the scientific term "piggy wrasses"?
Was trying to improve it as you said that. Better?
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 2.55.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 2.55.30 PM.png

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very cool! I can't even finish my article on macropharyngodon :face-with-tears-of-joy:

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of Macropharyngodon, would it be possible to add another species along with my Meleagris?
I have a 70 gallon DT with about 4 square feet of sand available to sand sleeping fish.
The leopards I like are Cyanoguttatus, Ornatus, Negrosensis. My favourite is Meleagris, but I assume I would need a significantly larger tank to support a harem.

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of Macropharyngodon, would it be possible to add another species along with my Meleagris?
Yes though make sure to get a female
I have a 70 gallon DT with about 4 square feet of sand available to sand sleeping fish.
The leopards I like are Cyanoguttatus, Ornatus, Negrosensis. My favourite is Meleagris, but I assume I would need a significantly larger tank to support a harem.
You are right

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely add a few others in there, I’d maybe keep it to 3 species total depending on the dimensions and other fish - if it’s 4’x2’ floorspace and lightly stocked with smaller fish then you may fit 4-5 in.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
What's a good pair or trio for a 130g? I'd like to stay under $100/fish if possible. Can they be added at seperate times? I can request fish and there's a 95% chance that I will have them within a week if they need to go in the display at the same time. How big of qt tank would they need? They will be under 3". I'd perfer to do 10g QT as I only do the Hybrid TTM with Wrasse. I just got a 6-line but I plan to house him separately in a different tank since he won't get along with anyone. No wonder he was only $30. Lol

I do culture 3 strains of pods btw...

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a good pair or trio for a 130g? I'd like to stay under $100/fish if possible. Can they be added at seperate times? I can request fish and there's a 95% chance that I will have them within a week if they need to go in the display at the same time. How big of qt tank would they need? They will be under 3". I'd perfer to do 10g QT as I only do the Hybrid TTM with Wrasse. I just got a 6-line but I plan to house him separately in a different tank since he won't get along with anyone. No wonder he was only $30. Lol

I do culture 3 strains of pods btw...
Nice! I'm a big fan of leopards. Any of them are great. Maybe a leopard, a Halichoeres and a fairy or flasher? What colors do you like for wrasses?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Nice! I'm a big fan of leopards. Any of them are great. Maybe a leopard, a Halichoeres and a fairy or flasher? What colors do you like for wrasses?
I think that they are all beautiful! I saw one at the lfs with a lot of blue in it's tail but the majority was red. I fell in love with wrasse at that moment and decided that i want a few. Im not sure what it was. I can't find a similar pic. The owner was out on break and the hand didn't know the name. I should have picked him up!

Thanks for your recommendations!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that they are all beautiful! I saw one at the lfs with a lot of blue in it's tail but the majority was red. I fell in love with wrasse at that moment and decided that i want a few. Im not sure what it was. I can't find a similar pic. The owner was out on break and the hand didn't know the name. I should have picked him up!

That's an @i cant think @Slocke question!

There are definitely some great sub $100 wrasses. Halichoeres is very diverse. One of my top picks is Halichoeres iridis "Radiant Wrasse", which I think you can find in some places for around $100.

I have Halichoeres chrysus "yellow wrasse" (very budget friendly) and Macropharyngodon bipartitis "Blue Star Leopard Wrasse" (mid-budget):
PXL_20230727_223823582.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went to one of LFS this evening - I had a half an hour - and they had a male Banana Wrasse for $100. It was kinda ugly. They also had a Leopard Wrasse - I think a Blue Star. Pretty looking fish but NFS.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like it was maybe a Paracheilinus species, possibly one of these two?
IMG_8162.jpeg

IMG_8161.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s Wednesday. Let’s see some fish pics

IMG_9496.jpeg

IMG_9552.jpeg
That Exquisite is gorgeous. The vanuatu variant is definitely one of the nicest.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back