The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Myghty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from France,

I received my new Cirrhilabrus aquarimarinus 2 days ago from the online shop, of course they forgot the package, so the delivery arrived late at night (loving french UPS) so i had to do a quick temperature acclimation and throw him in my 185 gallon tank (6,5'x2'x2') where i have only juveline fish :
xanthurum tang, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki started changing, very small six line wrasse, a cleaner wrasse.

And of course i don't have an acclimation box

So in the morning he new guy started swimming the cleaner wrasse started to clean him, and then the tang and lubbocki notice him and chased him away, the lubbocki keep looking for him and chasing him, i then feed heavy they stay together to eat (like 2-3min) and the lubbocki kept chasing him

long story short, this morning after the first chase, i successfully catch the aquamarinus and put him in my 53 gallon softy tank with only a small clown fish

I have to let him regain his energy and start eatin good but i don't want him to stay in that small tank, you guys think it will be ok if i try again with an acclimation box ? if it doesn't work i rather put the lubbocki in the small tank and vice versa

thanks in advance, sorry for the long post

Last edited:

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from France,

I received my new Cirrhilabrus aquarimarinus 2 days ago from the online shop, of course they forgot the package, so the delivery arrived late at night (loving french UPS) so i had to do a quick temperature acclimation and throw him in my 185 gallon tank (6,5"x2"x2) where i have only juveline fish :
xanthurum tang, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki started changing, very small six line wrasse, a cleaner wrasse.

So in the morning he new guy started swimming the cleaner wrasse started to clean him, and then the tang and lubbocki notice him and chased him away, the lubbocki keep looking for him and chasing him, i then feed heavy they stay together to eat (like 2-3min) and the lubbocki kept chasing him

long story short, this morning after the first chase, i successfully catch the aquamarinus and put him in my 53 gallon softy tank with only a small clown fish

I have to let him regain his energy and start eatin good but i don't want him to stay in that small tank, you guys think it will be ok if i try again with an acclimation box ? if it doesn't work i rather put the lubbocki in the small tank and vice versa

Wow, had to look that one up. Beautiful wrasse!

Advice I see most often is to try with an acclimation box. If additional diversion needed, try with a mirror on the other side of the tank to send your lubbocki and tang in a frenzy at their own reflection till they stop noticing the new guy. Good luck!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh boy... I just impulse bought a pair of QT'd pinkies for $120... And I already have the rubeus and the brunneus going into QT. Pinkies should be going in a few days before the fairies. Yikes!
:loudly-crying-face: I wish I had a bigger tank!! I'm so envious!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from France,

I received my new Cirrhilabrus aquarimarinus 2 days ago from the online shop, of course they forgot the package, so the delivery arrived late at night (loving french UPS) so i had to do a quick temperature acclimation and throw him in my 185 gallon tank (6,5'x2'x2') where i have only juveline fish :

Of you re add him the same thing will happen. Depending how aggressive the lubbocki is. Best to remove Lubbock and try again but if he is aggressive it will be same results.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of you re add him the same thing will happen. Depending how aggressive the lubbocki is. Best to remove Lubbock and try again but if he is aggressive it will be same results.

Agreed, I’d probably give the new guy a couple weeks in the 50g to fatten up and adjust, then probably consider swapping the lubbocki and the new guy. Putting the Lubbocks in the other tank for a little time out might help.

And I’d be crossing my fingers hoping nothing awakes the devil inside of that little sixline haha

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Lemmy, my husky dusky.
1000028035.jpg

Rawr. Move it, Snoop.
1000028033.jpg

1000027998-jpg.3428811
1000028003.jpg

Attachments

• 1000027998.jpg
    1000027998.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 182

100gallonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get good pics of these quick fish but it’s my 1st post here. Have kept wrasses since the 80’s and all have been worth every penny I’ve spent on them. Current pets:
IMG_2475.jpeg
IMG_2472.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
Just had to put my Mcloskers out of its misery. So bummed. Had some kind of neurological disorder that I just read about. Swimming crazy, upside down,sideways, bent in half. Was still eating a little but going downhill after 3 days. what the heck causes this???

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to put my Mcloskers out of its misery. So bummed. Had some kind of neurological disorder that I just read about. Swimming crazy, upside down,sideways, bent in half. Was still eating a little but going downhill after 3 days. what the heck causes this???
Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease (UNWD) if we knew what caused it we wouldn’t call it UNWD. I’m sorry I had to do the same thing to my favorite fish. A Naoko fairy a couple years ago.

100gallonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unknown Neurological Wrasse Disease (UNWD) if we knew what caused it we wouldn’t call it UNWD. I’m sorry I had to do the same thing to my favorite fish. A Naoko fairy a couple years ago.
I got you, just ventingWrasse was so healthy and eating like a beast and after a week…, Beat my head against the wall with acros forever. Have great luck with them but there’s always a few that go down for no reason . Same with fish.
Just part of the hobby

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the pink-streaked wrasse? I suppose they are out of the question if I've already got a six line. But they really are peaceful and can be kept in groups?

Very peaceful fish. I don’t think they could bully anyone even if they wanted to.

As for keeping in groups, some people here (including myself) have had pairs or trios. It’s a little complicated. They are hard to sex when they are young, and the only discernible difference really is the boldness of colors on the males. So if you were going to have 2 or 3, it’s probably best to get them all young.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back