Torch coral dead?

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Just got home to a torch looking like this. I assume there is no saving this as it seems to cover all four heads. Never had any issues with it, but one of the heads had started to detract yesterday otherwise it was all fine so it sent downhill fast.
13AAE154-57C8-472E-ADEC-8D0DEAB1F517.jpeg
Should i just toss it or is there any chance to save it?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t even resemble a torch. Is it buried deep in the sand? I never recommend putting euphyllia in the sand as sand can get trapped in the crown and perhaps cause irritation or bacterial infections. I’d take it off the sand ASAP.

OP
OP
S

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved it to the sand right now to get it away from my other corals. It looked like this yesterday
BCB37D6B-BCA2-494E-AAD5-7FF0C8E44C8D.png

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. It looks melted. I find it odd to think that another coral had stung it but what other corals were nearby?

OP
OP
S

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acan, green star polyp, duncan and xenia. Dont expect any of them to be able to sting. My best guess is an infection, but didnt expect to lose all four heads overnight

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acan, green star polyp, duncan and xenia. Dont expect any of them to be able to sting. My best guess is an infection, but didnt expect to lose all four heads overnight
Brown jelly won’t kill overnight. Acans can sting though. I wouldn’t rule it out but I find it doubtful. I like to peek into my tank at night with lights out. You’d be surprised what nasty happens at night.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks. But no hope right? I should just remove it?
Looks like brown jelly to me, I've lost pieces over night to that stuff for sure. Take a plastic bag and put it over the coral in the tank then scoop it out water and all. If it is brown jelly you don't want any of that flesh getting on other coral (it can spread) once the bag is out of the tank take a little smell, you'll know if it's dead or not. If there pieces start reacting the same way frag ahead of jelly heads and iodine dip the parts your trying to save. Bj can spread to most lps and I've even lost some zoa it's nasty and can decimate a tank. Otherwise make sure your parameters are staple and nothing else is stressing the coral adding.
Btw acans are agressive they will regurgitate their insides and kill other coral nearby, I've seen move reach a good 4" to attack.
Good luck

OP
OP
S

simonfchr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It is removed now. And it had the smell of dead coral for sure

TOP 10 Trending Threads