Torch help

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like torch completely disintegrating, yesterday the one head that had been struggling looked like it was covered in a film algae. I blew it off and the other head looked great. This morning, the other head looks like the one yesterday. Not sure what to do, if anything can be done to save and/or prevent the spread to other corals.

IMG_1498.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1499.mov
    10.4 MB
OP
OP
L

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago the tank was treated with prazipro, and the one head struggled since treatment. I have also been battling GHA, so have been trying to bring nutrients down. PO4 hit zero today, but still have GHA in tank so readings are likely lower then actual.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpeg
    IMG_1500.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 31

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like torch completely disintegrating, yesterday the one head that had been struggling looked like it was covered in a film algae. I blew it off and the other head looked great. This morning, the other head looks like the one yesterday. Not sure what to do, if anything can be done to save and/or prevent the spread to other corals.

IMG_1498.jpeg
You're nitrates are on the low side, but I don't think at that level it would cause such sudden degradation. How is the flow in your tank? There could be a chance your coral is sitting in a dead spot. I had a coral once that died to the same two issues, with the same result.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral has been in the same spot for 60 or so days. Once tank was dosed with the prazipro, one of the heads did not look good and has been struggling. I didn’t help the matter trying to remove GHA and impacted the tentacles on the one head, but it was holding on until yesterday. The other head has looked normal until yesterday. I have been reducing NO3 and PO4 as they were elevated, and tank is running fallow. I am only currently feeding tank one cube of mysis to feed shrimp and keep bacteria alive.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other corals/torches and hammers are doing well, these were added to tank more recently.

I have also recently, last week to two been dosing All-for-reef to raise kH.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 28

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other corals/torches and hammers are doing well, these were added to tank more recently.

I have also recently, last week to two been dosing All-for-reef to raise kH.
Thats good. I'm not sure then what could be happening. You should just wait for someone of higher expertise in coral to reply, because unless something is consuming or abusing the coral, I don't know what the issue could be.(beginner reefer here). Anyway good luck, and I hope your coral gets better.;)

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be BJD? Picked up some reef roids in hope that it’s just a drop in nutrients stressing the torch.

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be BJD? Picked up some reef roids in hope that it’s just a drop in nutrients stressing the torch.
It could be. My corals always perk up
a day after I give them reef roids when they're in distress. But I wouldn't know why this could only be affecting that specific coral of yours. Afterall you have many other euphilia. :thinking-face: bjd though will usually be very noticeable. I wonder if maybe theres a pest or parasite? Or some small organism inhabiting the coral making it close up?

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking more at some post of BJD, I figured wasn’t worth the risk. I killed tank flow, siphoned as much as could with a pipette and then dropped the frag into a ziplock bag and removed from tank. Fingers crossed nothing else is affected if it was BJD.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of it siphoned off, with the pipette. I did not notice a smell while doing so. When removing the pipette to the cup, it was leaving a long white milky color trail behind. Which I tried my best to remove as well. The frag is in a ziplock bag, but I don’t notice any smell different then that of the reef mat (aquaria smell). The frag still looks like some tentacles are attached to the skeleton but most is gone.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back