Ugliest corals

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Soft corals get a bad reputation for being ugly due to a lot of them having muted colors or not being incandescent Neon colors. While it is true a lot of soft corals have muted colors a lot of them do not. Picture is WWC Rainbow Ricordea which is a pretty incredible looking soft coral.

W-080719-03_1800x1800.jpg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided that my fish will dictate which corals I can keep, for me the fish are the main attraction to the hobby but I still love corals. I bet they destroy the pretty ones and leave my with a tank full of *****’s lol
My clowns have destroyed my euphyllia. I figured the corals cost more than them and I do like corals more so I keep a coral-first tank.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Soft corals get a bad reputation for being ugly due to a lot of them having muted colors or not being incandescent Neon colors. While it is true a lot of soft corals have muted colors a lot of them do not. Picture is WWC Rainbow Ricordea which is a pretty incredible looking soft coral.

Good point. But I’ll say, there are hundreds of others that’d make my list based on coloration alone.

lonelyfloat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I myself have a Rainbow Ricordia, no regrets.

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself have a Rainbow Ricordia, no regrets.
Yeah, beautiful coral.
I think ugly corals come down to not properly selecting good soft corals at the beginning of your tank when we are all first start to learn about the hobby. It is just kinda a fact that in general LPS corals like favia and chalices will have insanely bright colors and nearly always outshine your first mushroom that you purchased on a whim.

But for my pick for ugliest coral would be the Brown Speckled mushroom

SpeckledMustroom_AMutabilisWRCo_Ap8R.jpg

Last edited:

lonelyfloat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, beautiful coral.
I think ugly corals come down to not properly selecting good soft corals at the beginning of your tank when we are all first start to learn about the hobby. It is just kinda a fact that in general LPS corals like favia and chalices will have insanely bright colors and nearly always outshine your first mushroom that you purchased on a whim.

But for my pick for ugliest coral would be the Brown Speckled mushroom

SpeckledMustroom_AMutabilisWRCo_Ap8R.jpg
Beautiful! Brown palys are ugliest IMO.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. Not a fan of brown palys or brown/dull colored mushrooms

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh..... I think bubble mushrooms look kinda gross.... The first time I saw one was at a coral show and I recoiled because I thought the bubbles was remaining flesh and the other places was where it sloughed off. I think I asked something to the effect of where that was the coral version of leprosy.... God... the look on the sellers face! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious Especially since he pulled it out thinking I would be oohing and ahhing over it. I can tell what's going on with them now, so I've come around a bit, but I don't think I'll ever get that initial reaction out of my head!

GrantM91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown palys and yellow polyps they were my fist coral, babied them and fed them blew sand off of them and they totally engulffed my first 16g lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOUR KIDS ENJOY YOUR AQUARIUM(S)? SHARE A FAVORITE MEMORY OF YOUR LITTLE ONE(S) WITH YOUR TANK!

• Yes, they love it!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • They're not super interested...

• Not yet, they're too young to understand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not a parent, but if I become one I hope they'll enjoy it!

• Other (please explain!)

Back