What’s The Average Time A New Reefer Stays In The Hobby?

What is the Average Timeframe For a New Reefing Hobbyist Before They Quit?

• < 1 year

Votes: 72 43.4%
  • 1-5 years

Votes: 81 48.8%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 10+ years

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the part most of us are uncomfortable with is that what was right 10 or 15 years ago, may no longer be best practice now. Experience does not always equal correctness.

I would love to say I am an old salty guru because I learned reefing 20 years ago, but the reality is many of the young gunners out there have a more modern understanding than I do.

The big difference I find is that a lot of these new, high performance hobbyists tend to burn out. A lot of us older saltys may not be able to outgrow them or have as nice of colouration but some of us have had colonies that are decades old. I think longevity is a skill and beauty all of it's own.

Someone like @Paul B won't outgrow or outshine an instagram tank but seeing those big, old, healthy colonies is special in a different way.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone like @Paul B won't outgrow or outshine an instagram tank but seeing those big, old, healthy colonies is special in a different way.
I don't even know what Instagram is and don't want to. That or Facebook which I don't go on if I can help it. I wrote 2 books and have a face, so I'm good. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don’t hold instagram tanks as the bar to set for any Reefer. Most of them are just there to market products, and are not representative of realistic goals.

Last edited:

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know what Instagram is and don't want to. That or Facebook which I don't go on if I can help it. I wrote 2 books and have a face, so I'm good. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Health and longevity are more important than eye candy in my mind so I will always appreciate your tank! I may look at other sources for new ideas but my heart is always with those mature reefs that have been through all the crazes.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back