What’s the largest inhabitant in your tank?

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chocolate Tang is the largest of my five tangs and largest fish in tank. He is the centerpiece fish. He is also an extremely hard worker and runs the tank. He is about 70 percent through change and was barely an inch long when I got him with plans to have him go through his change cycles as centerpiece fish. Extremely happy with him, love him as my any body In hobby would love their wet pet.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 Hey there, how big is your Purple Tang and how big was he when you got him? Do you expect him to grow more after 9 years with you? (10 next year)
Oh boy, I'm terrible at guessing sizes through the glass. It all looks bigger than it is, lol.
Let me get some pics. I like pics to show progression.
My first pics of the purple tang. October 2016. Hard to judge the size but this is a standard 75g aqueon. I think 3 to 3.5 inches or so.

20161002_143802.jpg 20161002_143913.jpg

And today, I think he's getting to the 5 to 5.5 inch size. 20240815_170952.jpg 20240712_161028.jpg

Will he get any bigger?

That's a tough question.
My wife wanted this PT. I knew it wasn't a great idea for a 4' tank but I figured if I kept the fish population low and it being a zebrasoma tang, it should be okay.
It did get a little aggressive but I'm hoping I didn't stunt it's growth.
Now he is not AS aggressive in the 150 and I THINK he will grow some. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 Yeah I would say more people are fine with putting a YT in a 4’ tank than a PT, do you think it’s mostly due to the Purples being more aggressive?

On a side note what kind of Rabbitfish or other fish are you considering getting? Like currently you have the PT and your pair of Bellus Angels as your “larger” fish, the Clowns, Fathead Anthias, Damsels and Wrasses as your “smaller” ones.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep a whole variety of live stock in our tanks. From Blennys to tangs. I am wondering what is the largest livestock you have in your tank right now, and is it causing you any issues. Bonus points of you share photos!
Whilst this used to be an easy answer, it sure isn’t anymore…
I want to say it’s my Bicolour Foxface but then my Aquamarinus Fairy is also quite large oh yet then we have my Majestic Angel and then my Butterfly.
IMG_3472.jpeg

Largest invert however, my anemone. I got it around June and yet it’s huge and tripled in size!
IMG_3466.jpeg

Last edited:

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 Yeah I would say more people are fine with putting a YT in a 4’ tank than a PT, do you think it’s mostly due to the Purples being more aggressive?

On a side note what kind of Rabbitfish or other fish are you considering getting? Like currently you have the PT and your pair of Bellus Angels as your “larger” fish, the Clowns, Fathead Anthias, Damsels and Wrasses as your “smaller” ones.
I am starting to reconsider the rabbit fish. Doing my research, the Magnificent and fox face lo, are probably the only ones that will go in my tank as the other ones get pretty large. I think the recommended sizes are 250 or more gallons. I really don't care for the looks of those two rabbitfish.

I'm still open on what to put in instead. I was thinking maybe a couple of Court jester gobies or a school of bar gobies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014 You might want to look into whether the Biota ones consistently eat prepared food, I haven’t looked into it myself but I believe Biota or captive breeding to be the way to go whenever possible. Bar Gobies would be an interesting choice though you might want to check up on how often they dwindle down to one over time, I don’t believe they change sex last I heard. The Firefish form bonded pairs as far as I’m aware.

My favorites are Angels and Butterflies still, that’s just me. Maybe even a few of the Centropyge?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back