What are the most important parameters to keep in check for easy soft and lps corals

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the most important parameters to test and keep in check? right now i test for everything except phosphates,calcium,magnesium and alkalinity.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test for salinity and temp and I do weekly water changes, pretty much any % helps if it's done routinely. A large tank is harder to impact with water changes but in the end the difference in readings among test kit comparison threads really causes some doubt in my opinion. I would go digital testing for parameters once you choose to go that route.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test for salinity and temp and I do weekly water changes, pretty much any % helps if it's done routinely. A large tank is harder to impact with water changes but in the end the difference in readings among test kit comparison threads really causes some doubt in my opinion. I would go digital testing for parameters once you choose to go that route.
What do you think is the best test kit that isn’t digital?

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must discern that by looking up comparison threads and deciding if you want to trust single readings vs dual readings / how much self convincing will factor in your readings. I only test for temp and salinity and I myself won't accept anything less than 2x readings from opposing name brands if i want to test more than temp and salinity. I trust no non digital kits, if you take time to research vs ask opinions on best tests you'll discover the patterns for sure

Within two hours online you'll be able to discern without anyone's input if you trust salifert, api, red sea, nyos, hanna etc. It'll be interesting to discover which bias we use to accept or deny accuracy in a given measure.

When you take time to search out here and in other forums test kit comparison threads, if you see lots of them aligning then name brand won't matter.

But if you see salifert vs red sea on a given parameter comparison and the readings differ, who says salifert is the right one just because it has better marketing for quality? Sales, ads, peer recommends. Same things that sell sneakers sell us reef test kits

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol my salinity isn't digital it's a swingarm

Known to vary just like all kits we use

And yet any coral I want other than an occasional xenia melt will grow years in my system due to light quality, feed, and water changes. My salinity isn't perfect it's just within range. Temp as measured non digital is for sure pretty close to real in most settings; that's a reliable param to test without fancy gear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must discern that by looking up comparison threads and deciding if you want to trust single readings vs dual readings / how much self convincing will factor in your readings. I only test for temp and salinity and I myself won't accept anything less than 2x readings from opposing name brands if i want to test more than temp and salinity. I trust no non digital kits, if you take time to research vs ask opinions on best tests you'll discover the patterns for sure

Within two hours online you'll be able to discern without anyone's input if you trust salifert, api, red sea, nyos, hanna etc. It'll be interesting to discover which bias we use to accept or deny accuracy in a given measure.

When you take time to search out here and in other forums test kit comparison threads, if you see lots of them aligning then name brand won't matter.

But if you see salifert vs red sea on a given parameter comparison and the readings differ, who says salifert is the right one just because it has better marketing for quality? Sales, ads, peer recommends. Same things that sell sneakers sell us reef test kits
I use the most basic regular instant salt for my aquarium, do i need better salt for corals?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO is used in zoo exhibits more than any salt and is the most used salt in all of reefing, i used it years, it's plenty good if you're doing water changes regularly.

How to double check an alkalinity kit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO is used in zoo exhibits more than any salt and is the most used salt in all of reefing, i used it years, it's plenty good if you're doing water changes regularly.

How to double check an alkalinity kit
Can i switch to a different salt if i wanted to?

Upvote 0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
self search all upcoming questions, tell us what you've found right as you're asking the question. Provide links to show you tried. like above

Do the self research on Google or this site search.

You'd do a search on changing salts in a reef tank, takes two seconds. Read some links, see how they change salts.

what lighting to use/ that's searchable

What food to feed: searchable

Whether or not to run filters
Searchable

How many hours to run light= searchable

how to cycle a reef- very easily found
You're better off asking questions here to things you were fully unable to pre study

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • No.

Votes: 61 45.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back