What happened to my Longnose Butterfly fish??

NavyDiver73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this morning that my Longnose was acting funny and didn’t look right. This afternoon I finally realized why. All the flesh on his bill is gone. I don’t have an immediate idea how. His tank mates include a small hippo tang, a flagfin angel, a royal gramma, 2 clowns, a mandarin goby, 3 clown gobys, assortment of hermit crabs, a tiny cleaner shrimp and 3 emerald crabs. He’s having a difficult time with eating. Will he heal or is this a death sentence for him.

image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it stops eating then it is done. I don’t expect it to live but I hope I am wrong about this.

I wonder if it was poking around a power head?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I noticed this morning that my Longnose was acting funny and didn’t look right. This afternoon I finally realized why. All the flesh on his bill is gone. I don’t have an immediate idea how. His tank mates include a small hippo tang, a flagfin angel, a royal gramma, 2 clowns, a mandarin goby, 3 clown gobys, assortment of hermit crabs, a tiny cleaner shrimp and 3 emerald crabs. He’s having a difficult time with eating. Will he heal or is this a death sentence for him.

image.jpg
If it stops eating its Not done and I doubt powerhead as there would be significant damage These guys use their forceps like mouths to get into nooks and crannies and likely injured it in which it will heal as long as behavior is not continuous. I doubt if due to another occupant as there would be fin damage and even body.
If not eating, try live blackworms and even live brine shrimp.
Is it breathing normal or labored?
Ruby rally pro can be used in-tank but will take some time. Best is treatment in a separate tank using seachem neoplex or Tri-sulfa

OP
OP
NavyDiver73

NavyDiver73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it stops eating its Not done and I doubt powerhead as there would be significant damage These guys use their forceps like mouths to get into nooks and crannies and likely injured it in which it will heal as long as behavior is not continuous. I doubt if due to another occupant as there would be fin damage and even body.
If not eating, try live blackworms and even live brine shrimp.
Is it breathing normal or labored?
Ruby rally pro can be used in-tank but will take some time. Best is treatment in a separate tank using seachem neoplex or Tri-sulfa
Thank you so much. I actually have a 25 hex tank I just set up 4 days ago with only hermits and snails in it. I will get the sea hem neoplex and start it tomorrow

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a butterfly that half the side of her mouth was torn off from something. She was eating again in a couple days, moved her to my QT for a few days so she didnt have to compete with my other fish for food

OP
OP
NavyDiver73

NavyDiver73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Unfortunately I found Bill this morning and he passed. Thank you everyone who gave me helpful advice. There’s a reason I love this site and it’s because of the great people on here.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 53 44.2%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back