What kind of Bayer for dipping coral

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (for soil and turf). The original bottle looked like this:

BayerAdvanced Old.jpg

A couple years ago, they changed the label to look like this:
Bayer Advanced New.jpg

HD no longer carries it, but Lowes has it.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't comment on which is best....my belief is that the top three are very similar. Note, nothing kills eggs. What I like about Bayer is no visible impact to the coral, and it's cheap! My Lowe's has a 40 ounce bottle for under ten bucks.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how much do you guys use?

Oh boy, you're opening a can of worms. The original video I saw on Bayer, the guy used 0.8 mls to 100 mls of tank water. I simply rounded it out to 1 ml per 100, and it worked just fine. I did a survey a while ago and some were up to 8 mls per hundred....or not even measuring...until it got milky. I'll see if I can find the link and post here.

HERE is the link to the summary of the dilution of Bayer folks were using.

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of threads on dips and bayer. I don't measure. I dump a ton of it in the container until it looks like skim milk put the coral in and swish it around for 15 minutes. You should really do a tad of research on it and use that information. People say to remove the coral from the plug or rock for example. I personally have dipped plugs without ill effect, but with anything researching it a bit is usually a good idea. I also don't dip softies in it. I have dipped LPS in it, but it's not my dip of choice for those either, but it is for SPS.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bayer advanced for acros. The recommended amount to use varies widely. After reading a bunch of people's opinions and supporting comments online, I settled on 10 ml Bayer per 500 ml tank water. (Suggested concentration was anywhere from 0.5 to 40 ml per 500 ml water.) I then dip the frags for 10 minutes. (Suggested duration ranged from 5 to 15 minutes.) I then rinse in 500 ml tank water for 10 minutes, and then a second rinse for 1 minute. A few other things about using Bayer: Be very careful not to let any get into the tank, including from the your hands, especially if you have snail, crustaceans and other inverts you'd like to keep. Also try to remove frags from plugs and rocks as much as possible before dipping. Not only are the plugs a common place to find the eggs of pests, but some plugs might absorb enough Bayer that some will still be left to leach into the tank.

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your guys opinion what’s the best dip for stn or rtn

Dip to stop STN or RTN would certainly be valuable ;Greedy

Honestly though, antibiotics. There are some research papers linking STN to Vibro. The pic in your other thread is dead though. Once the flesh isn't attached to the skeleton there is nothing anyone can do about it. You could also try methods such as super glue up past the necrosis, cut off the unaffected part and discard the dead tissue. et cetera. Do you have more dining than just the one in the pic in the other thread?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't think any dip will help stn or rtn. Usually due to a problem with water quality, light or flow, and a dip isn't going to help any of those.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No everyone seems to be doing very well, I was just asking for the future because I’m sure it will happen again at some point.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 36.5%
  • No.

Votes: 109 57.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.8%
Back