When did Aptasia become such a big deal

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember my uncle in 1978 with the first saltwater tank I'd ever seen. He was showing it off to me and pointing out all of the glass anemones that he was so proud of.
I remember in the 90’s a LFS routinely selling them as baby ‘Curley cue’ anemones (Bartholomea).

Scottiemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I don't understand the whole sterile tank thing trend.

Sterile tank just means nothing goes into the tank that I didn't put there. This significantly reduces the chances of nuisance hitchhikers showing up in the tank.

I started with dry rock and dry sand. My corals get clipped from their rocks before going in if possible. If not, the rocks are thoroughly inspected first. My refugium was with pest-free chaeto that I added pods to.

Some of us just don't like dealing with bristle worms and aiptasia and other things we call pests.

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take the rock out and remember where the aiptasia are located, a soldering iron does the trick every time. :)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember in the 90’s a LFS routinely selling them as baby ‘Curley cue’ anemones (Bartholomea).
Yup! "Anemone Rock"! Haha I remember as a teenager in the mid 90s feeling like I lucked out in an almost sneaky way when I got a piece of live rock with a free sea anemone on it.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the only real trend I have noticed changing since the 2010s has been needing elevated nutrients. The clean tank stuff has been around since then. Before that it was movement to LEDs, and before that was automation and bluer mh.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the only real trend I have noticed changing since the 2010s has been needing elevated nutrients. The clean tank stuff has been around since then. Before that it was movement to LEDs, and before that was automation and bluer mh.
Feeding corals is semi new? I had some trachys that I fed black worms to in like 1996. Other than that I didn't feed corals "back in the day."

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding corals is semi new? I had some trachys that I fed black worms to in like 1996. Other than that I didn't feed corals "back in the day."
I won the reef2reef acro growout contest in 2014 (I think, threads are deleted) and I fed the tank like crazy then specifically for acros, so even acro feeding has been around for 10+ years although it wasn’t all that common then, it was used more for lps. I would say feeding coral has been trending upward in popularity for 15-20 years or so.

Edit: ah 90s reefing! I still have power compact nightmares!

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your tank has a very small/stable population of Aiptasia, Berghia are not appropriate, and I routinely tell potential buyers that. However for many, the Aiptasia population grows rapidly and becomes either an eyesore or frankly destructive to more desirable corals. In that situation Berghia are one of several reasonable options to try to control Aiptasia. Unfortunately none of the options are perfect or work for everyone.

Berghia work best when there are many Aiptasia so they can feed and breed.
Agree.. i got lucky and my peppermint shrimp make quick work of aiptasia.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won the reef2reef acro growout contest in 2014 (I think, threads are deleted) and I fed the tank like crazy then specifically for acros, so even acro feeding has been around for 10+ years although it wasn’t all that common then, it was used more for lps. I would say feeding coral has been trending upward in popularity for 15-20 years or so.

Edit: ah 90s reefing! I still have power compact nightmares!
Haha I still have unused PC bulbs in my boxes of hoarded reef gear.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning, god created the earth - and then he and the devil took turns creating creatures.

God - dolphins
Devil - mosquitos
God - clownfish
Devil - aiptasia

There's your answer. Don't listen to any of these people trying to tell you aiptasia are precious creatures or whatever.

It's all propaganda

robanister

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i think 2 things. If mistakes were made and they made it in then oh well. Also a 5 dollar frag with aptasia no problem. Now if my tank is pristine and I pay a premium. Over 50 for a coral then it should be nice and without pests. If I spend 200+ spotless only corals

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
. I can walk away from my tank for 6 months and not worry about coming back to an aiptasia or majano farm. You can't.
Maybe, that said, I couldn't walk away from my tank for 6 months for any reason without it falling into complete disarray.

I still don't think an Aptasia problem is any worse than anything else. It just struck me that people seem to talk about it like it is far worse plague than I have ever experienced with them.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then you've been fortunate and know what you're doing. Lots of people get one or two as hitchhikers and are able to keep it from becoming an infestation.

The problem is more for newer reefers, of which I was one of on my first tank. We didn't realize that what we were doing might be aiding the infestation, and by the time we figured all of that out it was late. Even getting the right peppermint shrimp (as opposed to camel shrimp, which are often sold as peppermint) has no effect once the infestation gets out of control.

An experienced reefer now knows to do whatever it takes to prevent the introduction of aiptasia in the first place. I'm more alert for them now than I was with my first tank, and so when I eventually do get hit I'll know what to do.

But for the inexperienced reefer who has put in a few thousand on livestock and now has a tank full of aiptasia? Yeah, that's a problem.

It's not just since the pandemic, as per your original post. We had been discussing the problems with aiptasia for years before I left the hobby in 2014.
I suppose, I did have the OGs of Boston Reef Society to help me when I got going.

Pretty early on it was peppermint shrimp and my kalk q- tip.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To keep it in perspective, I'm not saying anyone should just leave them, like anything there needs to be some control of any "managed biome".

My point was that I've read a lot of people posting like it's the end of that tank.

I think I found my answer in the first few posts.

Thanks all for contributing!

DO YOUR FISH SHOW PERSONALITY?

• Yes! I believe my fish show unique personalities.

Votes: 54 94.7%
  • No. I do not believe my fish show personality.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Other (Please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back