LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decisions decisions.

So I took a peek at the RODI resin and the sediment filter and they both are brown. Meaning of course it’s due a change. I knew it was but I figured I could get by with a little more time. Sadly I don’t think so. Sigh.

So, do I go ahead and do my water change? It definitely could use one. Or do I hold out until god knows when I’ll have the cash for the replacement filters. I worry about the issues with “tap” but I also worry about the nitrates that’s just not leaving.

I think I’ll go ahead and do the change. I need to clean the sump too. So I’ll do that and just deal with the excess of whatever comes. Then when I get the replacement filters just do a pretty large change to compensate for that.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Check the levels. Sometimes the color changing resins change early, sometimes they change late.

The biggest factor I would say is going to be what your tap water is like. If it's bad, if the resin and sediment filters are used up, might be a good idea to skip the water change.

My tap water is "decent" and I don't use filtered water for my water changes and top offs - don't follow my example, your results may vary.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water itself isn’t bad. I live in a water conservation area where they don’t heavily use chemicals because it all runs back out to the streams and such. The resin itself lasted well over a year before it all went brown if that tells anything. Diatoms aren’t that bad and I believe I have those already.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do the change. do you have a pressure gauge? sediment may not need changing if no pressure loss. or so I've been told.
It’s just a cheapo RO Buddie system so no gauges or anything like that

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were so behaved, until I told someone they were... then they all rearranged overnight
So hilariously, my big one decided to move lol.

It’s sat in the same spot for well over a year. Then bam! It moves hahah.

You can see the hole it was wedged in for a long time right under where it currently is.

Also, fts from my spot on the couch. Zoomed in of course.
IMG_6634.jpeg
IMG_6633.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to my Facebook memories absolutely crushing my heart over Wolfe, a dog we owned and let go 11 years ago.

He was smelly and rude and didn’t listen. But he loved us and was a very fierce guardian of our daughter when she was young. I remember one time, when Boo was about 4 a con worker of my husbands stopped by. He offered my daughter a quarter. At this time Mr. Wolfe gently came between them, popping his nose up under the guys hand and knocked it up, his way of saying “No thank you, please don’t touch my girl.”

How I wish my girls now had such a way with children.

He traveled 1200 miles with us from SC to OK and then many years later, back. He as about 14 when we let him rest, due to a stroke.
IMG_3315.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local aquarium club is trying to set a date for meetups and I’m thinking of tossing out some tiny canvasses as a way to get some swap meet cash going.

Also I’m thinking I’m going to paint over the antuta piece I’ve been working on. For some reason the black on there isn’t drying right leaving some strange streaks. So I may hunt down some gesso and just start something else.

What though, I’ve no clue. It’s a very large piece of canvas.

On the salty side my shrimp has snatched a giant mass of the red macro and the snails are chewing the rest up I’ll snap some pics today when I get home, as it’s looking quite ok currently minus the sand having some diatoms. Didn’t do the waterchange as I was tired and didn’t know if I should risk the possible RODI filters being spent.

Also I noticed Tophbis slowing down rapidly. She will be with me two years come May 8th but I’m pretty sure she’s already over 2. The plan is (I may have mentioned before) to move her to the Fluval betta when I’m able to get it and move the koi female to the five gallon. She’s more active and should enjoy the extra space.

I’m also working towards a Fluval flex 15 for the pallifina. They’re currently in a 10 gallon reptile tank and there’s no scape. I think they’d enjoy an actual setup as opposed to the mass of moss just tossed in there.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hilariously, my big one decided to move lol.

It’s sat in the same spot for well over a year. Then bam! It moves hahah.

You can see the hole it was wedged in for a long time right under where it currently is.

Also, fts from my spot on the couch. Zoomed in of course.
IMG_6634.jpeg
IMG_6633.jpeg
one of mine just moved to underneath a cliff. It can barely get any light and has stayed put for weeks :face-with-rolling-eyes:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fav fish in the tank, I love them. Can't wait to see yours once you get it!
It’ll be a little time, I’m thinking I need a lid lol. My scape is how it is specifically for a marine betta. Hopefully it won’t be too long before I can share!

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I am probably crazy for thinking this and usually my brainstorming runs full tilt in the am when I’m alone with just my thoughts.

So I am thinking of trading or selling my Waterbox clear mini 10. It’s not that I don’t like the tank, I love it. But it houses my albimarginata and they’re jumpers. I still don’t have a proper top for this tank and the act of balancing glass on not one but two tanks, well it’s a lot more than I want to do. I can justify the cost of the kraken for the 35. I can justify the cost of a Red Sea net kit for the 70. But I cannot justify the cost of either for a ten gallon.

Soooooo I’m thinking I’ll copy Fluval and get me a flex 9 and stick the albis in that. They have their channs in one and they seem happy and spawn regularly for them. The back compartment having the bigger foam and bio media as opposed to the sponge filters I’m using and a hidden spot for a heater. I think it would look better and function better. I’m a huge fan of all in ones. (I’d even trade the 35 for the mega flex XD but that’s another wandering thought)

It has a lid. A good lid. A lid with one small hole that can be easily covered.

The only downside is the light isn’t a ramp up/ down. I believe the albis would be fine with that though. They aren’t as gunshy as Atlas and his woman.

I have to pray about it and fight my thoughts as well as see what others think.

I hate wandering thoughts.

I do still plan on moving the pallifina to a flex 15. Did I mention that, if not, same reason as the albis. Better filtration/ lid/ setup.

With all of that I did promise more recount reef pics too the other day and I completely forgot XD. The digi keeps getting knocked over some and the clean up crew enjoyed the dragons breath so much, I don’t have any left. Sigh. But I do have the others and since they’re finally acclimated to the light and stuff they seem to be sprouting out new growth. Did I show this pic already? If so here’s also the Mac’s and the sunrise from my front door Saturday. And yes there’s this amazing large and annoying tree right there. The squirrels live not only in that tree but also my car. Not inside inside. But inside under the hood. Idk how to get them out. I do know we have shredded stuff that blows out the vents and it smells of rodent when the heat comes on. Hubbs got an “Axe” air freshener so now the squirrels smell like they’ve at least showered.
IMG_6699.jpeg
IMG_6722.jpeg
IMG_6723.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back