OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would point out is that, IMO, a 3 day black out should be a last resort to resolve a major issue with problematic algae. I have done it and it can stress out SPS, causing them to lose a bit of color. Yes, the color will typically return but a frag that is in a weekend state can die. I also once lost a Black and White Maxima clam. As others have said, the source of the problem has to be fixed or eventually the algae will return. So finding the source and fixing it IN CONJUNCTION with a 3 black out can be very effective.
What do I do if it's my rock leaching the phosphates?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Get you a hanna checker for low range phosphate and a good nitrate test kit like red sea pro. If you have hair algae in your tank you have one of those factors feeding it. Reducing the lighting will only put a bandaid on the issue.

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do if it's my rock leaching the phosphates?
As @Randy Holmes-Farley stated in another discussion thread...."the phosphate on the rock is in equilibrium with phosphate in the water. So having the rock in water with a low to very low phosphate concentration will slowly remove it from the rock". I would be aggressive with GFO and change it out often to get phosphates down.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker ppb to ppm phosphate conversion chart.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,175

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Randy Holmes-Farley stated in another discussion thread...."the phosphate on the rock is in equilibrium with phosphate in the water. So having the rock in water with a low to very low phosphate concentration will slowly remove it from the rock". I would be aggressive with GFO and change it out often to get phosphates down.
+1
Tumbling Rowaphos GFO in a reactor worked for me (Old Leaching Rocks) and I changed it out often in the beginning too :)

RH-F, Also says GFO should tumble in it's own reactor to get the full benefit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How often is often?

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often is often?
I would swap it out at least 1x every 2 weeks, although it might be necessary to be more aggressive and do it 1x per week. Just test a couple of times a week to see how the levels are and replace the GFO if you still haven't reached your target.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1261.JPG
I've thought about that! Might be a good option. Would it get rid of the algae in the MD?
I tried a turf scrubber and it was kinda loud and when the power goes out the screen will dry out and will be aggravating, well that's what happened to me right when it started to get some algae growing on it. I ended up just throwing some chaeto algae (a small piece) in my fuge with one of those spiral shaped light bulbs about 12" above it and that light is on when my display tank lights are off. A couple months later my fuge filled up with chaeto which I had to prune a big clump of it out so it could grow back again. I used to battle algae and it was frustrating, I even tried the lights out for 4 days with no success actually I lost my two clowns after the lights out method. A few months later with my chaeto I am very happy with my crystal clear water ALWAYS ZERO NITRATES and very minimal algae. I'll post a pic of my tank for you to see. Good luck hope you find a solution that works for you.

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1261.JPG

I tried a turf scrubber and it was kinda loud and when the power goes out the screen will dry out and will be aggravating, well that's what happened to me right when it started to get some algae growing on it. I ended up just throwing some chaeto algae (a small piece) in my fuge with one of those spiral shaped light bulbs about 12" above it and that light is on when my display tank lights are off. A couple months later my fuge filled up with chaeto which I had to prune a big clump of it out so it could grow back again. I used to battle algae and it was frustrating, I even tried the lights out for 4 days with no success actually I lost my two clowns after the lights out method. A few months later with my chaeto I am very happy with my crystal clear water ALWAYS ZERO NITRATES and very minimal algae. I'll post a pic of my tank for you to see. Good luck hope you find a solution that works for you.

Thanks man! I have cheato in my fuge too but still hair algae in the tank [emoji853]

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto grows really quick with good light. The more you have the better. So as it grows you'll see the hair algae go away. But, most of the time people's refuge are to small or don't have enough chaeto. But give it some time. Some people say screw the cheato and go with bio pellets or something like that. GFO is a hit or miss. But stick with it.

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto grows really quick with good light. The more you have the better. So as it grows you'll see the hair algae go away. But, most of the time people's refuge are to small or don't have enough chaeto. But give it some time. Some people say screw the cheato and go with bio pellets or something like that. GFO is a hit or miss. But stick with it.

Thanks man!

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if this has been addressed! *Stupid question alert*
Will corals be ok!?
I have had some SPS fade on me but colors usually returned. However, anything in a weakened state might not make it. Oh, and I did lose a small Black & White Maxima clam once, although I have had terrible luck with that type of Maxima :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back