911 - My Powder Blue Tang has the white markings of death on it

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some research and came up with using MelaFlix to start with but still thinking what else I might be able to do and exactly what is it ?

is this Velvet disease ?

He was just find last night and then this morning the wife came into my office and noticed it right away; nothing else has died and he was just fine yesterday

PBT.jpg
PBT2.jpg

is this Velvet disease ?

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what ever it was didn't take long - he passed tonight after moving over to Q Tank

Just crazy how happy he was just last night, hit really fast and hard

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it coming on so fast my first thought is either velvet or brooklynella. Let's see if we can get you a little more help [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it coming on so fast my first thought is either velvet or brooklynella. Let's see if we can get you a little more help [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

Thanks - I just hope I got him in time and it didn't spread

I would say it hadn't but then again last night he was fine too

Thanks

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be velvet if it moved that quick. Never experienced it personally thank goodness but word is it moves really fast

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is velvet. And if he spent even a single second in your DT, your entire DT is infected and will need treated. Do NOT risk it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I still am not sure. That's a tough one to ID. Velvet can take on so many different symptoms. I've had it twice but never seen it like that. It kind of looks textbook but I wonder if it got tangled with an anemone or something.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I treat though ?

Remove all fish, let the tank run fallow for 6 weeks (if you're sure it's only velvet and ich isn't present) and treat with cupramine or chloroquine phosphate. Humblefish has great writeups in the disease section for treating marine velvet

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove all fish, let the tank run fallow for 6 weeks (if you're sure it's only velvet and ich isn't present) and treat with cupramine or chloroquine phosphate. Humblefish has great writeups in the disease section for treating marine velvet

I will jump over and start reading up - 9 years in the hobby and first time ever seeing anything like this

I treated the tank after reading and removing him earlier with MelaFix - I will remove the rest and start Quarantine

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-diseases-101.189284/

Gosh I would hate to have you move all of your fish on a whim if I am wrong. I'm no Humblefish. Do some more research other than my opinion on photos of velvet and see what you come up with.

This is a tough one. What I definitely don't want to happen is for you to assume nothing and lose everything, however.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had velvet twice in 12 years of reef keeping. Once it showed symptoms like ich but smaller and more deadly, covered fish much more. The second time showed ZERO symptoms but kept killing fish until after 10 deaths (each time thinking I found what was killing them or I was just getting bad fish) a chevron tang finally showed classic velvet symptoms. Poor guy took it for the team.

There are so many different strains that show completely different symptoms. This most recent bout of it was so deadly because you could NOT ID it. I would buy a new angel, it would be eating and happy one day, cryptic and hiding the next, dead the following. ZERO symptoms other than that. No scratching no spots nothing. Just slightly heavier breathing (which can indicate a myraid of things) and blotchy color loss (something large angels, especially emperor angels exhibit often with stress).

I felt awful for not knowing but it was such a silent killer!

Velvet is becoming more common as some distributors use poorer husbandry to keep costs low and prices low. It's sad.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he's on vacation but in case he gets computer access I want to make sure he checks here first [HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG]

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had velvet twice in 12 years of reef keeping. Once it showed symptoms like ich but smaller and more deadly, covered fish much more. The second time showed ZERO symptoms but kept killing fish until after 10 deaths (each time thinking I found what was killing them or I was just getting bad fish) a chevron tang finally showed classic velvet symptoms. Poor guy took it for the team.

There are so many different strains that show completely different symptoms. This most recent bout of it was so deadly because you could NOT ID it. I would buy a new angel, it would be eating and happy one day, cryptic and hiding the next, dead the following. ZERO symptoms other than that. No scratching no spots nothing. Just slightly heavier breathing (which can indicate a myraid of things) and blotchy color loss (something large angels, especially emperor angels exhibit often with stress).

I felt awful for not knowing but it was such a silent killer!

Velvet is becoming more common as some distributors use poorer husbandry to keep costs low and prices low. It's sad.

Yep, never heard of it until today honestly

I had a Powder Brown tang get Ich about 7 years ago and he died but before leaving the tank passed it on to my Hippo which I was able to save and he lived for years and I have never had it since.

Just crazy and I know I have to keep pushing but it does bother me

Will probably do a 50 water change and clean out my sump water and do a deep cleaning Sat just to feel good about myself lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back