911 - My Powder Blue Tang has the white markings of death on it

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am still stumped. When you say treated, what did you do?

This is why I said more research was needed I don't want to do anything prematurely but time is of the essence for sure!

Hope he pulls through although it sounds unlikely

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will jump over and start reading up - 9 years in the hobby and first time ever seeing anything like this

I treated the tank after reading and removing him earlier with MelaFix - I will remove the rest and start Quarantine
So did you treat the fish or your whole tank Melafix? I would not treat a reef tank with Melafix.
So have I but never experienced it
I saw a sting on a fish before and it was a distinct faded line,like a tentacle shape.The damage on your fish looks very physical.Not the same to me,yet I have only seen this once.

I would have your QT ready and be prepared to catch out the remaining fish if it becomes necessary.I have used the Cuppermine product myself to treat some pretty nasty stuff.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A carpet Anemone stings are different in the the do not have the typical tenicles that other nems have. Hince the name "Carpet". They have a very strong grip and any fish that escaped is truly lucky and strong. I was touching one and it got a hold of my finger. When I pulled away I tore off bits of it, of which were still attached to my skin. Do not under estimate it!!!

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A carpet Anemone stings are different in the the do not have the typical tenicles that other nems have. Hince the name "Carpet". They have a very strong grip and any fish that escaped is truly lucky and strong. I was touching one and it got a hold of my finger. When I pulled away I tore off bits of it, of which were still attached to my skin. Do not under estimate it!!!

Exactly. It wouldn't be the carpet because I highly doubt your fish would of escaped it.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. It wouldn't be the carpet because I highly doubt your fish would of escaped it.

I was thinking the same thing but thought maybe he barely brushed it and got lucky - I am 100% sure it was velvet, he passed away this morning and after looking him over I noticed he had stuff on his fins and other areas so it wasn't just one area

My carpet anemone ate just about all the inhabitants in my tank including a large brittle star before I got rid of it.

This is the sad thing, I started losing all my fish about 2 years ago - I first thought it was the eel as only the small ones were missing, then thought it was a coral banded shrimp as I watched him attack my goby and now I realize the entire time it was probably my large carpet. I like you finally lost everything but my Hippo Tang and decided to pull my corals and anemones to clean everything out and start over. Never thought about it being the carpet even though I read they will eat fish - just didn't give it much thought at the time.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing but thought maybe he barely brushed it and got lucky - I am 100% sure it was velvet, he passed away this morning and after looking him over I noticed he had stuff on his fins and other areas so it wasn't just one area

This is the sad thing, I started losing all my fish about 2 years ago - I first thought it was the eel as only the small ones were missing, then thought it was a coral banded shrimp as I watched him attack my goby and now I realize the entire time it was probably my large carpet. I like you finally lost everything but my Hippo Tang and decided to pull my corals and anemones to clean everything out and start over. Never thought about it being the carpet even though I read they will eat fish - just didn't give it much thought at the time.
Sorry about your fish.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your fish.

Thanks - just glad the Naso and Hippo show no signs of stress or issues

Now have to read more on Velvet to see how long it takes to attack after showings up. Really only thing I can think of at the moment

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - just glad the Naso and Hippo show no signs of stress or issues

Now have to read more on Velvet to see how long it takes to attack after showings up. Really only thing I can think of at the moment
Did you put those two in quarantine? Are you treating them? I believe it's very contagious.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put those two in quarantine? Are you treating them? I believe it's very contagious.

No, I had him in it.

Was going to move all the fish and then started on the ideal it was the carpet so held off.

I will have to tear down all the rocks to catch that Hippo, Naso I can probably get

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did u lose the powder blue?

Yes, he past on and after looking at his body it was not a carpet sting - he has the white stuff from picture on his fins as well.

It wasn't ich so the only other logical explanation is velvet

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2015-07-30-22-20-50.png
Screenshot_2015-07-30-22-21-10.png

Fish infested with velvet.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second picture tells a thousand stories
:(
If you see anything like it again, just treat them asap. Even if that turns out not to be the problem, at least you took precautions.
At least, I know when I finally start my tank I will keep all those medication on hand. Just to be on the safe side. Do all quarantine procedures.
Nothing is ever fool proof though.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now what do I do, my only choice is to pull all the fish ? Is it to late ?
I wish @Humblefish was back from his vacation. I think he says that since velvet is so contagious that put the fish in quarantine. Let run fallow, don't remember how many days, I can try to look through his conversations.
It's a fish parasite, so if it is living in the tank and no host to attach to, it run its life cycle out in tank and die out.
I will look through his conversation to see if he ever talked about it, which he probably did at some point for certain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(
If you see anything like it again, just treat them asap. Even if that turns out not to be the problem, at least you took precautions.
At least, I know when I finally start my tank I will keep all those medication on hand. Just to be on the safe side. Do all quarantine procedures.
Nothing is ever fool proof though.

They say it's due to poor water conditions but mine tested well so why or how it got in the tank is still a story within itself.

Besides losing the fish the other part that sux is tomorrow is my buddies large buy he does every few months and I can't even order after waiting for a month and a half. Kinda sad

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say it's due to poor water conditions but mine tested well so why or how it got in the tank is still a story within itself.

Besides losing the fish the other part that sux is tomorrow is my buddies large buy he does every few months and I can't even order after waiting for a month and a half. Kinda sad

Someone sent it, saids 6 weeks I believe....Thanks for sure

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back