911 - My Powder Blue Tang has the white markings of death on it

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what your qaurantine procedure is or what meds you use but if I could share my experience I use Copper Power to qaurantine. It's supposed to be 60 times less toxic than cupramine and I have used it on many sensitive fish like powder blue tang,potters wrasse, and scotts wrasse. One of my friends uses it also and he has an Achilles,lineautis,and tamarin wrasse he has used it on. One of our top LFSs in our area uses it. Great product. I also have a black leopard,jeweled wrasse and swallowtail angel in it at the moment doing great

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he past on and after looking at his body it was not a carpet sting - he has the white stuff from picture on his fins as well.

It wasn't ich so the only other logical explanation is velvet
Sorry for your loss. Velvet is the nastiest I've ever experienced. It wiped out all my prized fish. I am just now starting over.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean out and sanitize your tank after or let it run fallow for six weeks?
I relocated the tank to a different room. It's a 300 gallon full reef. I moved all the rock and corals into a 150 gal stock tank then cleaned the tank and all equipment and let dry for 72 hours or more. Then set it back up as new. I'm using the live rock in my new sump to seed the tank but will run fallow for 10 weeks.
I am quarantining five tangs right now and will start qt on 5 more in a different Qt set up next week when they come in. I will qt for the 10 weeks

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I relocated the tank to a different room. It's a 300 gallon full reef. I moved all the rock and corals into a 150 gal stock tank then cleaned the tank and all equipment and let dry for 72 hours or more. Then set it back up as new. I'm using the live rock in my new sump to seed the tank but will run fallow for 10 weeks.
I am quarantining five tangs right now and will start qt on 5 more in a different Qt set up next week when they come in. I will qt for the 10 weeks
That's excellent, I hope you never have to go through the that again. Best of luck with your tank.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the fish ever develop open ulcerations/wounds? Was the fish flashing? Have you added new fish?

I would try to get some Flagyl/metronidazole on hand just in case you're seeing Uronema or Brooklynella. Both spread and fast and fish die fast.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I don't wish that on any fellow reefer. It's very sad! To see such loss of life.

Cleo642 has been a huge help during this entire thing

I was left with the tough decision like Dh35otwin - I started the process of tearing down the tank trying to get the Naso and Hippo out; during the process it was getting a little over whelming and stopped before I created more problems.

So now it's been 3 days since the fish was removed; he past on Thursday and during that time everything in tank looks normal with no signs - I turned off my sump and will be doing a 40% water change in the next hour or so

I will keep everyone posted and Thanks to ALL YOU GUYS

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the fish ever develop open ulcerations/wounds? Was the fish flashing? Have you added new fish?

I would try to get some Flagyl/metronidazole on hand just in case you're seeing Uronema or Brooklynella. Both spread and fast and fish die fast.

they didn't look like open wounds but honestly it was hard to tell - vote would be no

I haven't and won't add new fish for at least 2 mths most likely

I already used MegaFix the first day and haven't used anything since or re-dosed

Will Flagyl/metronidazole hurt anything if I used it as a precaution ?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they didn't look like open wounds but honestly it was hard to tell - vote would be no

I haven't and won't add new fish for at least 2 mths most likely

I already used MegaFix the first day and haven't used anything since or re-dosed

Will Flagyl/metronidazole hurt anything if I used it as a precaution ?

I wish I knew more about fish meds to make a suggestion.

If it were me I would just keep up good husbandry and watch closely, ready for quick action. Adding stuff to be adding it is not a good idea, IMO.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew more about fish meds to make a suggestion.

If it were me I would just keep up good husbandry and watch closely, ready for quick action. Adding stuff to be adding it is not a good idea, IMO.

Yea I won't be adding anything for a while for sure.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been completely re located and set up, now it will run fish less for 10 weeks. I have 3 qt tanks full of tangs being treated and closely monitored to get ready to add to the display tank after ten weeks.

OP
OP
Velocity

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you only lost the powder blue tang?

Yes - he is the only one

Yea my Q tank is used before I put them in but again he has been in main tank for 2 mths with nothing added since him. I keep all fish in Q tank for a week before adding them, some do it longer but I figure after a week with no issues then it's probably my faught at that point

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad for the loss. Didn't read that part before posting

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back